News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Vaughan is the ideal candidate. He's on record disparaging the outer city. A reasonable conservative like Karen Stintz would annihilate Ford but the left will no doubt put in their candidate and a vote split is in Ford's best hopes.

I think that "smart" and "competent" are traits voters will be looking for to counter Ford's low IQ and incompetence and Vaughan has both but he's too exposed in the "downtown vs outer city" battle. Wong Tam would be the ideal candidate I think but she's a first term councillor who I would hate to lose on council.

I think a popular non politician riding in as a charimatic new face for our city could do very well.

Another possibility is a former Mayor. Voters will be looking to return stability and function to City Hall so a proven former Mayor would be a serious challenger to Ford. Barbara Hall comes up as a possibility though if Miller ran, it would be game over for Ford.

Last edited:
Vaughan running would send even more suburban voters to Ford, just because he really is so pro-downtown and anti-suburb, something Ford tricked his voters into believing about Miller. I'd prefer Stintz, a conservative who's actually intelligent.

I remain skeptical about Stintz on "Jane Pitfield II" grounds. And those who seek to put her on some dream-opponent pedestal all too often remind me of those who sought to put Sarah Thomson on a similar pedestal...

Vaughan running would send even more suburban voters to Ford, just because he really is so pro-downtown and anti-suburb, something Ford tricked his voters into believing about Miller. I'd prefer Stintz, a conservative who's actually intelligent.

Hahaha:D, unless a high profile outsider plans to give him a run, id place my bets now...that Ford beats out anyone on this current city council easily, and wins the next election.

Hahaha:D, unless a high profile outsider plans to give him a run, id place my bets now...that Ford beats out anyone on this current city council easily, and wins the next election.

I don't know how anyone, right or left, could be so certain about the outcome of the next election at this point. Even though Ford is in election mode, remember that we're only 1.5 years into the current council...still 2.5 more years to go. Still lots of time for all sorts of unforseen developments.

Still lots of time for all sorts of unforseen developments.

Yes it is to early to predict... but considering the bickering going on between city councillors and mayor that i assume will continue till the end of this term, and assuming that most Toronto residents wont forget about it when the next election rolls upon us, a new face might be just what the doctor ordered

Automation, would you care to refute these arguments:

What Royson's article fails to take into account:

- Ford is no longer an unknown. Regardless of the available information on Ford, a lot of people didn't bother to read up on the candidates. Many Ford voters that I know tell me they wouldnt vote for him again. By the next election, he'll have had 4 years of bad front page press.

- It (likely) won't be a split race. Smitherman and Pants split the left vote after Giambrone's sudden departure left David Miller's election machine scrambling to remake the campaign around a man they didn't think could win while a large part of the former Mayor's backers defected to Smitherman who they thought could win.

- Ford was fighting against the establishment. In 2014, Ford will be the establishment. He'll own the last 4 years.

- While the 2010 election had the right revved up to vote in a conservative, the 2014 will have the center/left revved to kick what many see as the worst Mayor ever from office -- even many conservatives who see Ford as ruining the brand. A lot of those downtowners who skipped the last election would fall over eachother to cast their ballots right now if they could. I predict turn out will be much larger next election.

- Ford may not even be able to run. The result of the conflict of interest court case against him may not result in the harsh punishment of removal from office, but I think the case is so clear that at minimum the judge will impose a restriction from running for office after his term is up.

I unfortunately and frustratingly know quite a few Ford voters. Today, I can't think of one who would support him as strongly and only a handful who are even considering it. The rest are regretful of voting for him or are and don't say so but say they don't like him as Mayor and will vote for somebody else next time around.

I'm a former Ford voter and my next vote entirely depends on the opposition. I will not cast a vote for Stintz and I will most certainly not cast one for Vaughan. I won't even mention Carrol.

Ford just happens to be the lesser of evils, and I'm sure many in the suburbs feels the same. Remember, never discount the silent majority. That's what got Bush reelected even though nobody was expecting it in progressive circles.

Is Vaughan really seen as being that anti-suburb? The only policy I can think of him being remotely anti-suburban on in recent memory is being against making Yonge and Bay one-way, and I believe this is more due to a misguided belief about how it would effect the streetscape than wanting to stick it to car drivers. Even with the bike lanes on Jarvis, IIRC he wanted to implement them as a trial to see how it would effect traffic before committing to them permanently.

Filip, I'm just wondering why you would be so against Stintz if she ran? She is aligned with the Conservative party, and while I can understand why someone would not be too ecstatic about Toronto's future transit plans, there is no denying she was acting from a fiscally responsible position.

Ford just happens to be the lesser of evils, and I'm sure many in the suburbs feels the same. Remember, never discount the silent majority. That's what got Bush reelected even though nobody was expecting it in progressive circles.

The lesser of the evils? You're talking about a man who completely misrepresented his campaign, and constantly misrepresents the facts. He's done little to balance the budget, and most of his successes were accomplished by other councillors and the fact that he stayed out of the way. Things like Ford's secret taxpayer-funded Portlands plan, his unfunded subway plan and the and the firing of Gary Webster still make me angry because they represent the corruption of the term 'fiscal conservative'.

Then again you eagerly voted for Harper, so I understand why you're willing to overlook these things.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out where the hate for Vaughan comes from? What terrible things has he done in his personal life or in politics? (any specific terrible deed)

I'm not a fan of how he tried to run all the frats out of the Annex. Other than that, he's done a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back