8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weirdest mayoralty ever—the inside story of Rob Ford’s city hall

The previously locked Toronto Life article is now publicly available. Take a look at it- it's pretty fascinating.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in...2/05/15/rob-ford-the-weirdest-mayoralty-ever/

Regarding the Portlands:

On the last Tuesday in August, many councillors tuned in to the CBC’s Metro Morning with a mixture of shock and disbelief. In the studio, Doug Ford was waxing rhapsodic about the notion of a mega-mall project, complete with a Ferris wheel and a monorail, on that benighted stretch of the eastern waterfront known as the Port Lands. As gasps rippled through the municipal body politic, Pam McConnell, one of two councillors whose wards cover the area, was shaken by more than Ford’s scheme to plunk down a glitzy retail Disneyland on that 1,000-acre plot of prime lakefront real estate. Earlier, Ford had labelled Waterfront Toronto, the 10-year-old tri-government agency charged with developing the waterfront, a “boondoggle.” Now McConnell wondered what was behind those comments.

On the CBC, Ford had alluded to a presentation where detailed plans for the project had been unveiled and “everyone’s jaw just dropped.” As McConnell and fellow area councillor Paula Fletcher soon discovered, that “visioning” exercise took place at an August 16 in-camera board meeting of the Toronto Port Lands Company, a city agency David Miller had stripped of its development mandate, turning it into a waterfront property manager. As they also discovered, Doug Ford had a connection to the TPLC’s president, Michael Kraljevic, a former real estate executive. They had played on the same high school football team, though Ford insists he hadn’t spoken to the man in 25 years. “Rob and I specifically ran against backroom deals,” he says. “I can assure you, no one influences Rob and me.”

A paper trail revealed that the mega-mall scheme had been in the works since shortly after Rob Ford took office. In February 2011, Kraljevic wrote to Ontario’s Ministry of the Environment, questioning its environmental assessments of the Port Lands. In May, a lobbyist for an Australian mall developer, the Westfield Group, had met with Doug Ford and the mayor’s new chief of staff to discuss the possibility of a shopping centre on the site. By the time the August 16 TPLC board meeting rolled around, two high-priced architects, Eric Kuhne and Mark Sterling, were presenting elaborate drawings for a Westfield-backed mall—drawings that included an ice palace in the Hearn generating station, an industrial white elephant on which Ford’s campaign donor Mario Cortellucci and his partners held a long-term lease. Astonishingly, TPLC had paid the architects $55,000—a sole-source contract of the very kind Rob Ford had once railed against as a councillor.

Still, it wasn’t until a week later that it became obvious a bureaucratic coup was in the works. An August 22 report from the city manager recommended, out of the blue, that Kraljevic’s TPLC replace Waterfront Toronto as the lead agency in developing the Port Lands. “All of us kind of had this wake-up call,” Fletcher remembers. “It was like, ‘Whoa!’ ”

When the mayor’s executive committee promptly endorsed the report, the full import of the putsch was clear. It would pave the way to auctioning off some of the city’s most valuable undeveloped real estate—almost all of it contaminated post-industrial land awaiting soil remediation and basic services—at fire-sale rates.

Already, Doug Ford’s boondoggle comments had provoked panicked calls from one of the waterfront’s biggest developers, Texas-based Hines, demanding to know if their deal was off. But when Pam McConnell told the mayor’s brother he had shaken investors’ confidence—perhaps even threatened a multi-million-dollar development—he seemed uncomprehending. “He said, ‘Send them my way and I’ll make a deal with them,’ ” McConnell recalls. “I said, ‘Councillor, that’s the problem: we’ve already got a deal with them.’ ”

Last edited:
I want someone like Adam Vaughan to run and remind the people of Toronto how to win an election the right way (i.e. not on one small issue like Miller and not on repetitive and annoying phrases like Ford)

Carroll is my #1 choice. I think KWT needs another term or two before being ready. A reasonable conservative like John Parker would be my choice if I had to pick a right-winger.

This. I would vote for Parker. He's sensible and can compromise to get things done. If Ford gets kicked out from his conflict of interest court case, the conservative establishment would do well to skip over Doug Ford and draft Parker.

On the left, Carroll is very well connected and is rumored to have been asked to jump in when Giambrone's couch adventures got him tearfully ejected from the race.

However, I dont think that she's that likeable when shown off in bite sizes. Carroll grows on you but to get elected you need to be instantly likeable or at least hold the electorate's interest enough to be figured out.

This is why I think the left would do best by getting a former Mayor up against Ford. Barbara Hall is still well liked and would appeal to those who just want the Mayor out of the news and running the city without drama. Babs could beat Ford I think.

My first choice would be for a return of David Miller but I don't think he'd even consider it until his kids are off to university. David Crombie left office still very popular but he's a conservative so the left wouldn't get behind him unless there were a "beat Ford whatever it takes" left/centre/right movement in which case if they wanted to draft a winning candidate, Crombie would be it.

Last edited:
My first choice would be for a return of David Miller but I don't think he'd even consider it until his kids are off to university. David Crombie left office still very popular but he's a conservative so the left wouldn't get behind him unless there were a "beat Ford whatever it takes" left/centre/right movement in which case if they wanted to draft a winning candidate, Crombie would be it.

Except that Crombie will be pushing 80, and he's had heart problems and such. (Oh, and re Adam Vaughan, his Achilles heel might be a downtown-centric prickliness that may be a little too reminiscent to Crombie's mayoral successor John Sewell--perhaps the closest thing to an offputting "Ford of the Left" figurehead there is.)

And another thing to keep in mind is in the possibility/likelihood of Ford not finishing his term, a "chosen successor" like Michael Thompson could easily win on a kinder/gentler/possibly-Stintzified version of "the mayoral record". So--yeah, remember that. It may *not* be a Ford that Vaughan or Carroll or whomever will be running against...

Miller needs to stay on the sidelines. I believe this city needs a fresh face as Mayor

Personally, I'd like somebody outside of City Hall to take a run for it. Somebody with charisma that can unite the city as one behind a vision of city building and civic pride. The reality though is that being Mayor is a poorly paid thankless job so no CEO would leave their well paid, guaranteed comfy retirement job to become Mayor.

Perhaps somebody at the federal level can pull it off: Gerard Kennedy's out of a job isn't he? Would Olivia Chow return to municipal politics if she got the top job?

And it's awfully hubrissy to claim that "nobody was expecting it in progressive circles"; after all, there were doubts even in the Dem camp as to whether the Kerry-Edwards ticket had "the right stuff"...

Star Reporter Daniel Dale Bests Mayor 45% To 26% In Stratcom Poll

45% of Torontonians believe the version of events given by Toronto Star Reporter Daniel Dale about a confrontation with Mayor Ford that that took place in a park beside Mayor Ford's house on May 2nd, while only 25% believe Mayor Ford, according to a telephone survey of 952 Toronto residents that was conducted by research firm Strategic Communications, Inc. (Stratcom) Tuesday.

The question was:

As you may know, Mayor Ford and Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale had a confrontation near Mayor Ford's home last week, and both Daniel Dale and Mayor Ford had a different account on what actually happened in this confrontation. Whose version of what actually happened do you most believe: [ROTATE] Mayor Ford's or Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale's?

"Boxing for charity may help some politicians improve their image, but raising your fist to a news reporter in a park is clearly not helping Mayor Ford to gain trust with Torontonians," said pollster John Willis of Strategic Communications, Inc., the polling firm that ran the question.

15% of respondents said they did not believe either Dale or the Mayor, and 15% said they did not know. (Figures total more than 100% due to rounding.)

Just read on Twitter that Mayor Rob Ford has read a proclamation at the flag raising on International Day Against Homophobia.

Photo of RoFo, a crowd and a rainbow flag: http://twitpic.com/9m3dwf

As Effie (in Dreamgirls) sings, "Look at me, looook at meeeee. I AM CHANGING..."

Who knows, Grand Marshall of the Pride parade may be next...

---------------

Edit to add: CP24 coverage: Ford makes surprise appearance at flag raising

Mayor Rob Ford surprised a crowd of hundreds of people when he showed up at a flag-raising event to mark International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia on Thursday.

Earlier in the day, Ford's staff said the mayor would not attend the noon-hour event due to prior commitments, but he showed up shortly before the event began and, to applause, read a proclamation that says all of Toronto is behind anti-homophobia.

As someone tweeted: Rob Ford comes out (of City Hall)

Edit to add: Toronto Star: Surprise! Mayor Rob Ford appears at gay event

Last edited:
It's pretty pathetic when the vast majority of Torontonians believe their own mayor, is a lier. Coincidentally, that's also about the same amount of people who voted for him. (Ford got 47% of the vote and about 50% of Torontonians did not vote) So it seems like Ford is fully backed by his 25%, no matter what stupidity he gets himself into. I find that rather shocking. Well maybe shocking is not the right word, I'll change that to perplexing. (the stupidity of people is never really shocking, with all the unfortunate crap we see in the world)

Last edited:
I'm very pleasantly surprised that Ford showed up for the flag raising. I really hope this marks a change in attitude (at least publicly), and that we can finally put this issue behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back