News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mel Lastman was Jewish. That counts as a minority if Greek does....

Exactly. Mel was definitely a minority. And amalgamated Toronto has only had three mayors, one of which being a minority. When we look at pre-amalgamation, we've had Nunziata in York. I guess that's Italian or Portuguese or something. I haven't paid much attention to non-Old Toronto politics, but there's a few representing TO's diversity in there.

Edit: Nevermind, I think Nunziata and Lastman might be the only ones.

Last edited:
Now, someone's asking some good questions!

:)

Yeah, I mean, how much of a coincidence is this... Lisi is seen with Di Battista. Lisi is seen with Di Battista and Ford. They spend time at an after hours club owned by Di Battista. Reporters ask questions, the after hours is gutted immediately and disappears. Di Battista was an investor in an earlier venture by Dovigi who later goes on to start Green For Life. Green for Life gets city's private garbage contracting contract.

I mean... I've been up since 4:30am, granted, and I'm not mentally stable from that but... uh....

/smash to black
DON'T STOP.... BELIEVING!

Makes you wonder whether a US news org will dig into the possible-murder-of-Anthony-Smith angle and publish something without fearing Canada's overreaching libel laws.

People need to start tweeting to these american channels to look further than the crack smoking.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like it's coming to court on Tuesday.

It is not going to be shown in court, just to Justice Nordheimer. And if he rules in favour of Khattak's argument that will mean only that Khattak's lawyer will get a copy from the Crown.

Exactly. Mel was definitely a minority. And amalgamated Toronto has only had three mayors, one of which being a minority. When we look at pre-amalgamation, we've had Nunziata in York. I guess that's Italian or Portuguese or something. I haven't paid much attention to non-Old Toronto politics, but there's a few representing TO's diversity in there.

Edit: Nevermind, I think Nunziata and Lastman might be the only ones.

Nunziata?

As for Lastman, I don't consider Jews to be a visible minority. (Nor Italians, Greeks, etc.)

(Interesting tidbit - while Toronto had two Jewish mayors, it had only one Catholic mayor.)

Last edited:
We already went over this and summarily convicted Ford of influence peddling. Keep up!

yes, this is not new :)

I'm just trying to steer the forum to the real serious stuff.........the stuff where handcuffs are involved ;)

Not the...... boo hoo hoo...i smoked crack, I'm a bad boy.....mommy help...waaaaaa!

Nothing to do with racism. Please don't be an asshole and use that card without facts.

It's really quite pathetic when white people get all pissy when someone brings up racism. Here are some facts: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/communities/reports/poverty_profile/snapshot.shtml. Or if you need something more specifically related to political representation, how about the fact that Toronto's population is roughly 50% visible minority, but City Council is less than 10% visible minority (to say nothing about even worse minority representation in other corridors of power in the public and private sectors).

Nunziata?

As for Lastman, I don't consider Jews to be a visible minority. (Nor Italians, Greeks, etc.)

(Interesting tidbit - while Toronto had two Jewish mayors, it had only one Catholic mayor.)

Mayor of York still counts as a former mayor of Toronto for many people. Unless we only consider "Toronto" as post-amalgamation, where we've only had three mayors to depict our diversity.

I disagree with the first part. I think it is unbelievable that a city as diverse as Toronto (and where the diversity is constantly used to promote the city -- see Florida's article today) has only had mayors who are white British-descendants and almost exclusively males.

There is an undercurrent of racism here that is very disturbing. Immigrants are tolerated as long as they keep their mouths shut and don't challenge the hegemony of the old ruling class.

Nothing to do with racism. Please don't be an asshole and use that card without facts.

I'm highly inclined to agree with khristopher. And I'm a visible minority, non-Christian, non-WASP, first-generation immigrant; I have to shake my head at people like you who accuse anyone who's in disagreement of being racist.

It's highly insulting to those of us who are actual immigrants/VisMin's/non-Xian's that those attributes which we were born with, should be the reason why we get a particular job (or not).

Watch CP24 live feed. The world's media just watched Rob get a flu shot. Snore.
The media coverage is ridiculous. I know they absolutely love scandals but don't they have anything better to do than to stand outside the mayor's office all day waiting to catch a 1 second glimpse of him? And the way they all run downstairs into the parking garage at the end of the day is so stupid. What are they thinking, that they're going to catch Ford smoking crack in his car as he drives off? During Ford's angry moment that one morning at his house there was that one photographer I noticed who pulled back off his property after Ford requested he do so and as soon as he turned around to get into his car this photographer moved quickly back onto his property to get up close with his photo. I realize they have a job to do but man oh man, they really are leeches.

Mayor of York still counts as a former mayor of Toronto for many people. Unless we only consider "Toronto" as post-amalgamation, where we've only had three mayors to depict our diversity.

OK, but Nunziata? I wasn't questioning including the City of York. She's Italian, yes. But are we counting that towards diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back