News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The man who bought Koilos put him on his cottage dock, all 900kg:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...y-distillery-district-statue-dock-koilos.html

Wow, that's such a fascinating (yet still controversial) idea! I wasn't a big fan of it in the Distillery and I'm still not sure what to make of it on his waterfront either...but as the owner says, it is a conversation piece.

li-cottage-statue-img_2472.jpg

I don't know. when I went to Distillery when last in Toronto I was completely underwhelmed. Frankly I thought it was much a do about nothing.

Had dinner at Tappa on Saturday. A good meal, but the room doesn't work well once you start having big groups - as they did for the last seating at 10. With the weather cooling off the area is slowing down some. Was disappointed that Koilos was gone, as we had parked at the west end specifically so I could get another look. I quite liked the piece and hope that whatever replaces it is even half as interesting.

The Christmas market does wonders for the area ! Whomever came up with that ... was a great idea ...

But yes it does quiet down in the winter ... as can be expected ... but less and less each year as there many more residents in the area.

I think long term, once more of the parcels just to the north / east of the district develop it'll only improve over time !

Saw this and started to wonder what new business or event was on the horizon. Anyone have any insight?

distill-facebook.png

Attachments

• distill-facebook.png
    distill-facebook.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 658
Wow, that's such a fascinating (yet still controversial) idea! I wasn't a big fan of it in the Distillery and I'm still not sure what to make of it on his waterfront either...but as the owner says, it is a conversation piece.

This is a rather ominous looking photo.

Muskoka Monster.jpg

Malcolm Robertson

The sculpture is located on Baxter Island (Lake Muskoka): https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=muskoka+baxter+island&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4d2a8ece5d4e1977:0x5578d89ece04047b,Baxter+Island&gl=ca&ei=7pdlUtKOAcSyyAG-sICwCA&ved=0CGwQtgMwCg

Off topic, but check out the boathouse at the bottom of this link: http://muskokaseasons.blogspot.ca/

Attachments

• Muskoka Monster.jpg
    Muskoka Monster.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
I guess nobody has an issue with a piece of public art being bought by a private individual for his own private enjoyment. I can't really complain all that much because it's not the best sculpture in the first place but it makes me really dislike the person who bought it. As for it being "ruined" by children climbing on it, I find that idea perplexing. Art should be touched and experienced.. especially large public pieces such as this. Now only the owner will be able to this, along with his obnoxious friends in their million dollar "Cottages" on lake muskoka.

I guess nobody has an issue with a piece of public art being bought by a private individual for his own private enjoyment. I can't really complain all that much because it's not the best sculpture in the first place but it makes me really dislike the person who bought it. As for it being "ruined" by children climbing on it, I find that idea perplexing. Art should be touched and experienced.. especially large public pieces such as this. Now only the owner will be able to this, along with his obnoxious friends in their million dollar "Cottages" on lake muskoka.

Not sure it could really be considered as "public art". "Art that was in public view" maybe. As far as I know, the artist lent it to the Distillery (possibly hoping they would buy it); they displayed for a year or two it but did not buy it and artist then sold it to someone else who put it on his dock. Are you saying the artist should have refused to sell it to someone unless they made it "public"? (I also wonder how you know that the new owner has obnoxious friends.)

On one hand it's much better that the millionaire spent his money purchasing art than a fancy car or whatever. On the other hand it's rather selfish to put such a beloved sculpture in a place where no one else can enjoy it.

Would you like to provide some proof that that the owner and his friends are obnoxious? Jealous, are we? What's wrong with wealthy people having nice things?

On one hand it's much better that the millionaire spent his money purchasing art than a fancy car or whatever. On the other hand it's rather selfish to put such a beloved sculpture in a place where no one else can enjoy it.

Do you really care if others get to experience this piece of art, or are you just upset that you can't enjoy it anymore? The owner can do what they want with it. Boaters can enjoy it as they pass by his dock.

Last edited:

If a public buyer had come forward the sculptor would have jumped at the opportunity. But no one did. The Distillery District was going to get rid of it, so this private sale potentially saved it from a much more tragic fate of becoming scrap metal. And hey, it's still on display for wealthy cottagers to enjoy (or complain about).

My take on that sculpture was that it was magical hideousness. Could never bond with it, personally. It reminds me of bad art... curious handling of the figure - rather crude and unstudied. Cool in a way, especially in how it was fabricated, and the montrous scale - but it never made me think of terms like "elegant" or "sophisticated" or "admirable." It was fascinating in a clinical way. Damned if I know what the artist was thinking, but then again I'm prepared to cut him lots of slack. People either like or work or don't. It happens.

Anyway, I'm glad it's gone from the Distillery; I really don't miss it. As for it being removed from the public eye - I don't know about that. I have every expectation that those who visit the lake by boat won't fail have a chance to be confronted by its graces.... you can't miss that sucker. In a way, I think it's found a better home in its present siting. It's more dramatic, not as hemmed in by grand old buildings. It now has a chance to breathe ... it looks larger, more monumental now.

Back