News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Tourists definitely love posing in front of that sculpture! I do like having a piece of art at that location since the Distillery District needs a 'face' on the Parliament side. This sculpture was commissioned to be displayed for 3 years but it seems like it's been there longer. I think this location would be perfect for a rotation of art pieces with a distillery theme created by various local artists, introducing visitors to the area.

I think that sculpture is really out of place. It's too modern for what is a historic district and takes away from the antiquated atmosphere. What is it supposed to be anyway? Is it the monster from Pan's Labyrinth with a venus fly trap head?

And also, hardly anyone lives there. If there were a lot of people living there, there would be more dry cleaners and Rabba's and Subways and Starbucks because people need or want stores like that as part of their day to day life.

Exactly. We can all poo-poo chain stores, but that is where most people shop. And, a lot of this boutique, independent shops are way pricey! I would love to see more mom-and-pop shops, but you need to have some retail chains to draw people in. They're familiar. People know what they're getting. Sometimes independant shops can be intimidating as people don't know (and don't have time or money to find out) what they're about (or sometimes what they're selling!) A mix of chain and chic would be ideal.

Exactly. We can all poo-poo chain stores, but that is where most people shop. And, a lot of this boutique, independent shops are way pricey! I would love to see more mom-and-pop shops, but you need to have some retail chains to draw people in. They're familiar. People know what they're getting. Sometimes independant shops can be intimidating as people don't know (and don't have time or money to find out) what they're about (or sometimes what they're selling!) A mix of chain and chic would be ideal.

There are already chain stores like Staples, Coffee Time, No Frills and a Sobey's within a very short walk of the Distillery. Once the West Donlands development is finished there will be many more. The actual Distillery itself is quite small and I think keeping it chain-free makes it a unique destination (why would people go out of their way to wander through a district filled with Starbucks and Firkins?) The Distillery is a good catalyst for the redevelopment of the surrounding neighbourhoods, and chains will be free to take advantage of that; everyone will benefit.

Great idea. Now if only the Beer Store would adopt that vibe for more of its locations. Might make the trip a bit more pleasant.

I'm with those who would rather not see the Distillery grounds themselves blighted with chain store dreck. As has been noted, it'll fill in on the edges anyway, over the next several years as the larger area continues to build out and renew itself.

I agree with these sentiments. As others have mentioned, however, there are already familiar chain stores in the vicinity. In the upcoming years, we can expect to see more large stores in the Moss Park/Corktown and surrounding areas. Hopefully the Distillery District will maintain their boutique stores and these businesses will piggyback off the built-up adjacent neighborhood businesses.

photo.jpg

The Michael Christian sculpture was taken away today.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 666
Too bad, I liked it, and it was a popular photo stop for tourists. However I recall hearing that some of the sculptures in the Distillery were never meant to be permanent. I'm guessing the agreement to display that particular sculpture has expired, and new art will eventually take its place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the sharing the photo, Penny. It was definitely a conversation-piece. I'll be interested to see what replaces it!

Wow...too bad. That was a great piece. I'll be surprised if whatever replaces it (if anything) is as interesting, but I guess you never know. Are the other sculpture(s) in that area being taken out too? (I only remember one...sort of a bridge thing with a gap in the middle?)

Back