No more talk on this LCBO site in this thread please. Take it to the correct thread, here.

Posts are being/will be moved.

Yeah but this Toronto, I'd be surprised if one of those projects get's built, let alone all three!

Meanwhile Telus Tower in Calgary only took about 6 months to get approved. As much as I disagree with what their economy is based on, Calgary's libertarian attitude towards high profile projects has allowed their city to move into the number 2 slot for best skyline in Canada. I love Toronto, but nimbyism is out of control. If you don't like tall buildings built close together then why would you move here? We're the largest and most important city in Canada, and the only projects getting approved are generic shapes with blue glass? Clearly.there is demand for interesting, tall buildings, and what's the argument against building them? Shadows? Lack of transportation infrastructure? Who cares about shadows? Downtown is already mostly shadows. And the lack of transportation infrastructure is due to a city not having the foresight to start construction on the DRL 5 years ago when it became apparent that this boom is not going away. But I guess it's easier to reject an application than it is to take some initiative and build the infrastructure that everyone has been begging them to build for 15 years.

Telus Sky required only minor amendents to land use. As far as I know, it still needs a development permit and then building permits which could easily take another six months.

Calgary has shadowing bylaws in place for the river valley which effects Chinatown, Eau Claire and the East and West Villages including the northern edge of the downtown in case you didn't know. The city also has a maximum of 20 FAR in the downtown and a maximum floor plate size of residential towers above 30 metres to minimize shadowing in the belt line which has a max FAR of 12.These policies greatly affects height as well as are leading to an abundance of wind swept plaza in order to facilitate height.

All that doesn't matter as you gotta be completely oblivious not to find some height satisfaction in Toronto over the last decade and continuing into the next.

Last edited:
Great article. I don't think we can stress enough how exciting and dynamic our downtown is. Unlike most North American cities, we opted to build our stadiums (Skydome and ACC) downtown. We fretted about parking but the issue never arose. Just think of all you can take in, including your place of work, by living downtown. And each new addition adds to the growing chorus of people able to live, play and work within walking distance and/or with transit. I think we are at just the beginning of this boom because as more and more people move downtown, more and more activities, restaurants and opportunities come with them.

Pontarini keeps on referring to these buildings as supertalls. Will one or more actually fit the definition set by the CTBUH, a building over 300m (984 feet) high?

No. Things are waaay too overpriced but, I don't see changes in the future that will finally burst this titanium clad bubble.

Back