News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If they did not put the subway in the central portion of Eglinton, why on earth would they put in a subway west of Keele St where all I keep reading is there is less demand?
Because it was the only way to get enough votes in Metro Council. With Toronto opposed to subway expansion, they needed North York, Etobicoke, and York votes, so that had to be something to give Etobicoke and York benefit.

23 to 22. Wow. That is close.
Is it? If I was a councillor, I'd have agreed the motion was in order ... how could it not be, staff had already confirmed they were in order.

But I'd still have voted against Matlow. Not so much because the subway is a better solution. But because it's a done deal, and it's time to move on.

what really surprised me is that it was closer than the original vote. it was originally 24-21, and (i think it was) Minnon-Wong voted against the motion despite originally voting against the subway. That means that 2 councillors changed their minds..

what really surprised me is that it was closer than the original vote. it was originally 24-21, and (i think it was) Minnon-Wong voted against the motion despite originally voting against the subway. That means that 2 councillors changed their minds..
The vote wasn't about the subway. The vote was about the process. You can agree with the subway, and disagree with the process ... and vice-versa.

Is it? If I was a councillor, I'd have agreed the motion was in order ... how could it not be, staff had already confirmed they were in order.

But I'd still have voted against Matlow. Not so much because the subway is a better solution. But because it's a done deal, and it's time to move on.

Josh Matlow keeps saying we need to go with facts, evidence and keep politics out of transit planning, yet, here is Matlow who admits he wants to kill the subway plan and who is backing mayoral candidate David Soknacki who also wants to go back to the dead as a doornail LRT plan. I think Matlow figured if he could delay funding to the Bloor-Danforth extension for a year, if Soknacki gets elected then the LRT plan would end up the transit choice for Scarborough. Like every other politician, he is playing with politics.

Josh Matlow keeps saying we need to go with facts, evidence and keep politics out of transit planning, yet, here is Matlow who admits he wants to kill the subway plan and who is backing mayoral candidate David Soknacki who also wants to go back to the dead as a doornail LRT plan. I think Matlow figured if he could delay funding to the Bloor-Danforth extension for a year, if Soknacki gets elected then the LRT plan would end up the transit choice for Scarborough. Like every other politician, he is playing with politics.

Right but we all know the Scarborough extension will not be as full.

How else is this plan supposed to be stopped without going through politics? Everything that gets done involves going through politics.

Because it was the only way to get enough votes in Metro Council. With Toronto opposed to subway expansion, they needed North York, Etobicoke, and York votes, so that had to be something to give Etobicoke and York benefit.

It would have been good for York to build a city centre on Eglinton with the construction of the subway. When construction started, it got dozens of high-rise proposals. York doesn't seem to have an area with a significant sense of place besides something subtle like its hilly streets. People are forgetting it existed even as Etobicoke and Scarborough are still place names that are used on a daily basis in spite of amalgamation.

It would have been good for York to build a city centre on Eglinton with the construction of the subway. When construction started, it got dozens of high-rise proposals. York doesn't seem to have an area with a significant sense of place besides something subtle like its hilly streets. People are forgetting it existed even as Etobicoke and Scarborough are still place names that are used on a daily basis in spite of amalgamation.
East York as well.

Anyone know what the guys at TTC have done to the RT in the past few months? Noticed the ride is smoother, and less noise overall. I don't even hear it when it swooshes by anymore. Yes, I live quite close to the RT

Anyone know what the guys at TTC have done to the RT in the past few months? Noticed the ride is smoother, and less noise overall. I don't even hear it when it swooshes by anymore. Yes, I live quite close to the RT

The rail grinder has been in town for the past month or so - I suppose that they could have taken it out on the SRT while it was here.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Majority of Toronto residents prefer Scarborough LRT over subway: poll

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/02/03/m...ents-prefer-scarborough-lrt-over-subway-poll/

The majority of Toronto residents — and those in Scarborough — prefer a light-rail transit over a subway in the east end, according to a recent poll.

An independent survey conducted by Leger found that 61 per cent of voters preferred a seven-stop LRT line over a three-stop subway extension that would lead to a $1-billion tax increase over 30 years. Thirty-nine per cent of those polled preferred a subway.

the "seven stop vs 3 stop" thing is bullshit, they always throw that in there as it makes the uneducated think that the subway is way shorter.

it is relevant because it indicates how many people are easily served by the same line. Two lines of equal lengths with different numbers of stops will serve different amounts of people easily.

it is relevant because it indicates how many people are easily served by the same line. Two lines of equal lengths with different numbers of stops will serve different amounts of people easily.

yet no mention of time differences between both methods including transfer time to get downtown.

Back