News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to Doug, can you imagine trying to coach Rob through anything more complicated than a drive-through order?

Except coaching Rob through to speak decently is exactly how Ford won the election in 2010.

The difference? In 2010 Ford had Batra, Towhey, Kouvalis, etc. to tell him what to think, what to say, and how to say it. And you better believe they rehearsed him over and over and over again, like drill sargeants, until he got it right. He was just a puppet and they were his puppet masters.

Ford actually shows a remarkable ability to remember his talking points - in fact, his talking point autopilot is as unerring as his ability to home drunk from Steak Queen. The problem is that they are terrible talking points, and that's because Doug is more familiar with drive-through ordering than political campaigning. What we're really seeing is how weak his campaign is.

Last edited:
It seems like the Fords saw the Kimmel appearances as a hail-Mary pass, especially as more things began to get unpacked regarding the legal issues. I don't think it worked out to be quite the miracle they hoped it would be, though not an outright disaster (e.g., Rob having a meltdown and storming off).

I also never want to hear Doug say any variant of "we x-ed the y like no one's ever x-ed the y" again. It sounds like a creepy double-entendre every single time.

I dunno, I think in this case it works where x = 'screw' and y = 'pooch' ...

Well at least one mayoral candidate had something to say about the Kimmel experience:

Here’s what each campaign said when asked about Ford’s trip to Los Angeles to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live:

Karen Stintz campaign:
“We have no comment about Rob Ford going to Hollywood at this time.â€

— Lauren Souch, press secretary for Stintz campaign

David Soknacki campaign
“The Soknacki-Ford contrast is stark, and these last few days are just another example of how flippantly Ford treats the office of the mayor.
“This past weekend, David canvassed at Yonge and Lawrence and attended Equal Voice. Tonight, David will be meeting with transit advocates to discuss methods of overcoming the city’s gridlock. The mayor on the other hand was out meeting celebrities, attending parties in Hollywood — for reasons that are still not entirely clear — and will be appearing on a late night show that has incessantly mocked him directly.

“People often talk about name recognition early in campaigns, but the truth is, sometimes we’ve heard of people for the wrong reasons, and this is a case in point.â€

— Supriya Dwivedi, press secretary for the Soknacki campaign

John Tory campaign:
“We have no comment.â€

— Bob Richardson, spokesman for John Tory campaign

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/0...immy-kimmel-sheds-a-negative-light-on-toronto

Have to say I'm impressed with Socknacki's approach - his campaign hasn't shied away from calling Ford out for his behaviour, and it's been done perfectly. It doesn't come across as mudslinging nor as mean-spirited, which is tough to achieve.

I hope the other campaigns are taking notes, as I will not vote for someone who won't call Ford out for his behaviour and his terrible record as mayor.

I always wonder if Neil Flagg and Ray Comfort are long lost cousins. They sure are eerily similar. If the two are indeed long lost cousins, then what is the purpose of education?

Last edited:
TJ O'Pooterpoot said:
"Hey, John - did you leave coffee grounds all over the counter, break the photocopier and then pee on the floor in the washroom?"
"Well yeah, Jim - but you hired me to try cases in court, not to be perfect. I'm not perfect - maybe you are."

Hilarious!!

It's amazing how inappropriate all of those things are in the workplace, yet they don't come close to the Rob Ford version:

"Hey, Rob - did you leave your coke in the bathroom, forget to put your vodka back in your desk drawer, and send your staff to buy cigarettes and diet coke for your wife?"

That was pretty funny. I mean, how do you Frodian slip your own name.

The question right before is "if you were there to promote Toronto, then why were you throwing 'Ford Nation' t-shirts to the crowd, and not Toronto T-shirts?' ". This is the kind of simple, direct calling of BS which was missing before. This is only going to get worse for Robby.

lol.

The Collywobbles ‏@Collyw0bbles 1h
Diane: Robbie, c'mon get up, you gotta go to work. #RobFord: Don't wanna, go away <sniffle> (turns over, pulls blankie over head) #topoli

Honestly, the Toronto media is embarrassing and spineless. In a lot of countries we'd have big headlines saying "FORD LIES ABOUT SAVINGS - AGAIN' and such.

It's a GTA-wide and possibly Ontario-wide problem. People are very tolerant of dogmatic nonsense, be it religious, political, or whatever. Ford's talking points are so poorly fabricated they should be a scandal in themselves.

Thing I thought of this morning was that until Rob ran for Mayor he was an "alright" Councillor and aside from his public drunken disorder-lies he was pretty much a non impact in the media.

When Doug showed up that is when ALL THE REAL TROUBLE started....

I wonder if Doug hadn't ran/joined council if Rob would have settled in to be a somewhat effective Mayor - with his brother not around pushing the envelope is it possible he could have tempered into a more malleable, consensus building version of himself?
No, Rob was a crazy person on council, too. Doug did make him worse, though, by giving him back-up and making him more confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back