News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I edited your post in way that is utterly unfair to the point you were trying to make.

To be fair, your point was reasonable, and you may well be right, although I struggle to imagine what puppet-masters might still be trying to pull strings after all that has happened.

But I think my truncation makes a valid counterpoint.

I see your (and Euler's) point too, but when Doug tried to take over Waterfront Toronto it struck me as obvious that there had to be someone pulling his strings. I mean, Doug probably didn't know the Portlands even existed and yet he out of nowhere had all sorts of big designs on them. It was completely out of left field.

Last edited:
Hey, I think much the way you do, Cooper. No-nonsense, cui bono type stuff -- I figure a person will always do what's best for themselves. But that's why I'm sometimes confounded by the actions of people. People are weird. Why are there stories of businessmen and lawyers being involved in criminal enterprises, even though they make plenty of money in their legit jobs? Why do trust fund kids end up being drug dealers in college when they don't need the money?

Oh, you mean like that Councillor from Etobicoke...? I forget his name, but you know the one.

The thrill of being badass, of outsmarting the law, of being a somebody in circles where people ride around in big black cars and go to exclusive clubs... lots of people want to be Vito Corleone. It's not rational.

You make an excellent point.

I see your (and Euler's) point too, but when Doug tried to take over Waterfront Toronto it struck me as obvious that there had to be someone pulling his strings. I mean, Doug probably didn't know the Portlands even existed and yet he out of nowhere had all sorts of big designs on them. It was completely out of left field.

To me, that one is the most overt example yet of Team Ford directing public resources to benefit some entity other than the public.

Well, how about this---if the OPP announces that they don't have enough evidence to press charges, and Ford evades the law, and especially if he manages to get re-elected, I think there will be riots in the streets and Ford will be dragged from his office and tarred and feathered. If the city isn't above electing a guy like that, it's not above having it's own version of the L.A. riots. Hell, the G20 was evidence of that. Basically, no matter what, the injustice will not be allowed to stand. One way or another, the guy is going down.

No. I don't think we would do that. Ford isn't pushing the same buttons as the G20.

...but he's going to jail rather than the Second Term Mayors Club, so it's OK.

I went by the plaza where Rob's Scarborough campaign office is/will be. It's different than the last time -- it was on the south side, and I think it's now Brad Duguid's constituency office -- and much smaller. I assume they'll spin that as either not needing as big a place now because he's mayor or they're saving money by using it, rather than saying they can't raise enough money to pay for something larger.

Wexford Plaza?

I know for a fact that my apartment would be unaffordable without rent control. Area demand has exploded in my longish time here. The apartment below me was once the same price. Over a few tenants coming and going and some renovations it's now 60% more expensive than mine (after my own annual regulated increases) with the same sq. footage.
Your argument that rent control is bad just doesn't wash with me.

Nor I. We chose the renovation package where we are now 9 yrs. ago (a $110/mo. premium), all new cabinets everywhere, 4 new appliances, floors, crown moldings, baseboards, sinks etc. and we are paying $210/mo. less than the people across the hall in the same unit (reverse plan) plus they pay hydro and we don't because we are grandfathered (and it's built-in electric heat/AC units here).

I've thought about joining the Ford arrest date pool but decided to pass. That said, wouldn't it be a charm if he went down on the day Olivia registers! That would be so poetic.
Btw, we must throw an UT party to celebrate the final nail in the coffin.

A good piece from Metro News on fact-checking Rob Ford's campaign site - http://metronews.ca/voices/ford-for...ecking-rob-fords-big-list-of-accomplishments/

I can't explain it, but I have this feeling that March 13 will be der tag.

Logically, it's much too soon, but I can't shake the feeling. My cat says April 20th, but I think she's just picking dates out of her litter box. :rolleyes:

I will cheer unreservedly if Rob Ford gets charged for a real criminal offence and there is solid evidence. That's most probably going to happen regarding conspiracy to commit extortion, from what I read here and at other sources such as Star, Globe, and CBC.

This is what I'm really starting to feel. The bump up to the OPP feels like "we can't make anything of what we have, can you?" I don't know anything about the police and how they investigate cases, but the public stuff recently has felt like heating the wires to try and stir up something substantial, and the longer this goes the more I feel like they're coming up short. I want to be wrong, I really want to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm getting pessimistic and despondent about this whole thing. The rhetoric against Chow before she even announces anything (Towhey is already saying money spent before she officially launches campaign should be investigated) has me wanting to flush this whole stupid fucking city down the drain. Doug says it's not about the truth and NOTHING in the press other than a buried story in the Post. Jesus fuck. That should be front page.

That said, put me down for June 17 in the pool. I need something to look forward to. But if anything goes down, I feel like it'll be because of something that happens between now and then, because it seems to me that they don't have a tight enough case or they wouldn't need the OPP to help.

Last edited:
Thought you guys would be interested in some of the feedback/stories people who know Sandro are sharing after yesterday's article.

LOL -- Let's not forget that Ford actually wrote this guy a letter of reference, and that Ford apparently consider him a friend.

I won't make any submissions; I'll just let fate fall as it may.

Though I will say this--even going back to 2010, I was offering the prospect of riots in the streets, tar-and-feathering, possible assassination, etc. At the time, I was pooh-poohed on grounds of sensationalism; like, Torontonians and Canadians are too civil, there hasn't been an assassination since Darcy McGee, etc...

At least as far as (still) latent possibilities go, don't say I didn't warn you.

This is what I'm really starting to feel. The bump up to the OPP feels like "we can't make anything of what we have, can you?" I don't know anything about the police and how they investigate cases, but the public stuff recently has felt like heating the wires to try and stir up something substantial, and the longer this goes the more I feel like they're coming up short. I want to be wrong, I really want to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm with you---been discouraged for months. Still watching, but halfheartedly, with a fairly fixed notion that we'll never see Ford face any other downfall than simply not being re-elected (and, FWIW, I do feel pretty confident he won't be). The way this "investigation" has played out from the start has been so weirdly public and fishy-seeming that it almost seems intended to fail or fizzle out. The packages never intercepted, the mega ITO whose only result so far has been the fairly inconsequential bust of Lisi, the announcement of the crack video and Blair's decision to use the word "disappointed"... just the sheer length of time that has passed... At this point I can't help but agree with Daniel Stein in NOW: this really doesn't feel like a tightly conducted investigation leading to a big bust. The OPP's involvement may simply be a minor defensive chess move, nothing more.

Same here: I would love to be proven wrong. But I really don't have my hopes up.

...but he's going to jail rather than the Second Term Mayors Club, so it's OK.

But, if arrested, he may still make bail while awaiting trial. In which case, there's nothing to stop him from running for ( or serving ) a second term as our mayor.

I've read speculation on here that it could be a long time before he starts serving a prison sentence. That's if arrested, convicted and sentenced.

I don't like to be pessimistic, but to paraphrase Rick Mercer, "They are saying, we will vote for a gerbil if we get a dollar back."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back