News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Almost all department stores have a gift registry - even target and Canadian Tire. They make a lot of sense for big events, like weddings.

I swung by the new 7th floor this morning. They've done a really nice job. Retail Insider posted some photos last week or so, before they'd stocked the shelves, but it looks much better in person, especially with the merchandise now in place. It's a very large space, and they've opened up the windows on three of the four sides (the remaining side is the Simpson Tower side), so it has lots of natural light. Some great old-fashioned signage with edison-style bulbs (Market, Coffee, Gadgets, Tools, etc.). It's a huge improvement on the space they used to have on the concourse level and the fifth floor. The housewares section on the concourse floor has been largely emptied out (the Nespresso, Saeco, and chocolate boutiques are still there), and half of the fifth floor is now completely blocked off for renovations.

For those familiar with the building, the new departments on 7 are located in the 1920s wing of the building towards Bay Street. That's the portion of the floor where they've placed the housewares, china, small appliances and the gift registry departments. The Kleinfeld boutique is located in the older portion of the building, in the 7th storey addition with the sawtooth roof. Nice-looking ramped entrance (currently blocked off) to Klenfeld from the rest of the floor. If you look through the windows in the gift registry department, you can see into the Kleinfeld boutique (there is an open space on the roof between the Kleinfeld boutique and the rest of the 7th floor - workmen outdoors seemed to be building a deck or something).

In terms of brands, the new space still seems to have the same brands that Hudson's Bay has previously sold. I didn't notice anything new (I might have missed something), other than a new Birks concession at the junction where small appliances, gift registry and the Klenfield entrance meet. It was not yet stocked, but I assume it will sell wedding bands and engagement rings. Smart.

Last edited:
Agreed, I didn't see any new brands, but I found the layout easy to shop, bright and welcoming. My only complaint was the angling of the lights at one of the checkout counters -- I was almost blinded.

They should bringing the gift wrapping service up there too :)

Almost all department stores have a gift registry - even target and Canadian Tire. They make a lot of sense for big events, like weddings.

I know all about gift registries, it's calling it a "department" instead of a service that I find odd, especially in the context of the picture, which suggests there is actually merchandise reserved specifically for that purpose. (Of course I also find the concept of registering for gifts to be distasteful, but I realize I am in the minority... I always thought it odd to combine what should be the happiest day of one's life with the acquisition of merchandise, and so had a no-gift policy at both of my weddings.)

I hope the Nespresso store won't be moved upstairs; the concourse level opens at 7 am and I often swing by on my way to work to pick up some capsules.

I hope the Nespresso store won't be moved upstairs; the concourse level opens at 7 am and I often swing by on my way to work to pick up some capsules.

I don't think so. It didn't look like it was going anywhere. They have a whole display of Nespresso machines on 7, but there doesn't appear to be a space up there reserved for the boutique itself. They'll be building a food hall down on the concourse level, and the Nespresso boutique will compliment that nicely.

(I too pick up my capsules in the morning en route to the office)

The gift registry kind of is like a department, in that there is a large section of the 7th floor devoted to it - desks, couches, product samples, etc. There are signs all over the store alerting people to the departments that have moved upstairs, and gift registry is one of them - "Housewares is now on 7", "Gift registry is now on 7", "Small appliances is now on 7", etc. But I get what you're saying - the goods on 7 aren't reserved exclusively for those registered on the gift registry. But they are clearly positioning this store, with Kleinfeld and housewares on 7, and linens on 6, as gift registry central.

Canadian Tire hasn't had one for over 5 years now. It wasn't popular enough to keep around. It only makes sense for the Bay and other high end home stores.

Having a 'Gift Registry Department' isn't actually too bad of an idea. As a retailer, you can pick out the high margin items from your existing product line and place them into a single space that makes building a registry easy, and allow for quick shopping for those doing so from a registry.. Simple win for the Bay in terms of making more money from it's registry customers.

Last edited:
Canadian Tire hasn't had one for over 5 years now. It wasn't popular enough to keep around. It only makes sense for the Bay and other high end home stores.

Having a 'Gift Registry Department' isn't actually too bad of an idea. As a retailer, you can pick out the high margin items from your existing product line and place them into a single space that makes building a registry easy, and allow for quick shopping for those doing so from a registry.. Simple win for the Bay in terms of making more money from it's registry customers.

There's also a time value of money argument. REgistry's take in HUGE amount of cash that aren't paid out for a certain time (until brides and grooms go in and sort out what they've been given). A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow!

This is just trivia, but Bonnie Brooks has been nominated an independent director on the board of Abercrombie & Fitch Co. From Hudson's Bay blankets to scantily clad male models.

She's still a vice chair over at HBC, as well as a director of RioCan and Empire (Sobeys). She's also on the board at the ROM.

I know all about gift registries, it's calling it a "department" instead of a service that I find odd, especially in the context of the picture, which suggests there is actually merchandise reserved specifically for that purpose. (Of course I also find the concept of registering for gifts to be distasteful, but I realize I am in the minority... I always thought it odd to combine what should be the happiest day of one's life with the acquisition of merchandise, and so had a no-gift policy at both of my weddings.)

By department I think they just mean an area where you go so set up your gift registry. I haven't seen the picture yet.

Giving gifts at weddings started in the days before people lived together (or even on their own) before they got married and so gifts such as toasters, blenders, etc., were given to help the newlyweds start their new life, and furnish their new home, etc, etc, etc. Nowadays people usually live together or live on their own and get married later in life and have already got everything and so prefer cash (to help pay for the wedding). The registry is more as a nicety for people who can't fork out $150+ but can spend $50 on a blender or a couple of wine glasses or something.

To each their own. If someone can't afford to go to a wedding or doesn't want to give cash/gifts — don't go. It is very rude to not give anything (unless stated otherwise as was with your weddings). x

Yes it would be rude not to give anything if you can afford to, but you may well have been invited by people who hope to see you there no matter what your economic situation is. Not being able to afford a gift is not the reason not to go.

Back