News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Pehaps rather than working on what "sticks in your mind" you could just go look it up?

Mile End offers a cross-platform interchange between Central (a deep-level line) and District/H+C (sub-surface lines).
There wouldn't be any discussions forums anywhere if we all looked everything up.

I'm still not sure how that would happen though ... so I will look it up. Hmm, and while Wikipedia does say that Mile End is the only subterranean station on the network that offers cross-platform interchange between 'tube' and 'sub-surface' trains, it doesn't really explain how this happens. Is the District Line particularly deep and into the London Clay?

So that's 4 tube stations with cross-platform transfers? Two between Northern line branches and one between a tube line and a shallow line? And apparently Oxford Circus as the only one between two different tube lines?

There wouldn't be any discussions forums anywhere if we all looked everything up.

I'm still not sure how that would happen though ... so I will look it up. Hmm, and while Wikipedia does say that Mile End is the only subterranean station on the network that offers cross-platform interchange between 'tube' and 'sub-surface' trains, it doesn't really explain how this happens. Is the District Line particularly deep and into the London Clay?

So that's 4 tube stations with cross-platform transfers? Two between Northern line branches and one between a tube line and a shallow line? And apparently Oxford Circus as the only one between two different tube lines?

Fishing for facts doesn't make for good discussion.

If you're defining "tube lines" as deep-level lines, there's also Euston, Stockwell, Finsbury Park

Not the LED'ng that's regrettable so much as the replacement of the plastic "bubbles" with flat covers...
I agree. I really liked those.

Ah! That's it.. I knew the covers were different but I couldn't put my finger on it.
I actually like the fact that it's much brighter at Dupont - it really brings out that mural and makes the mezzanine shine through the glass overlook.

Now, if they could only finish St. Andrew. :(
Apart from the LED lighting, the station is looking a bit shabby. However, I admit I like seeing the original tiles.

]

Fishing for facts doesn't make for good discussion.
Sure beats what things normally degrade to around here. Who knows, we might learn something.

If you're defining "tube lines" as deep-level lines, there's also Euston, Stockwell, Finsbury Park
Again, my ignorance is shown! I guess they were thinking when they build the Victoria Line.

Again, my ignorance is shown! I guess they were thinking when they build the Victoria Line.

The Victoria line was built to provide as many transfer points as possible—that's the raison d'être. Otherwise it's rather underbuilt. Not enough escalators.

Wish there were detailed maps of the locations of the downtown stations as I'd love to lay out a number of secondary and even tertiary entrances along minor side streets.

As far as I know, this is the closest thread we have to the TTC second exit program - there's separate threads for the projects at Dufferin, Pape, Woodbine and perhaps others. I'm surprised we never discussed Greenwood and Donlands much, given the uproar.

The city ombudsman issued a damning report about how badly TTC and the City handled the property acquisition and public consultation for the Greenwood and Donlands Second Exit projects.

It will be discussed at City Council next week. The item is here - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.CC27.9 and the report itself is here - http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-51454.pdf and is quite the document, wit 70 pages of discussion (411 points) in addition to appendices.

The recommendations (already agreed to by the City and TTC) are significant, and may change how consultation is done on future projects:

• A process and procedure for notifying Councillors of new construction projects that are scheduled to take place in their ward
  • A process and procedure for notifying property owners about construction projects
  • A documented process specifically for property owners facing potential acquisition
  • A public consultation policy and process
  • Training relevant TTC staff to ensure they have the appropriate consultation and communication skills
  • Communication/notice be sent from the CEO or senior executive regarding the current status of the Donlands and Greenwood Projects and next steps to be implemented
  • Establish directives documenting the responsibilities of the TTC and the City's Real Estate Division

Does anyone have a clue what's going on at Finch Station? It's been under repair my entire life basically and I've only seen a handful of tiles places on one wall during that time-span.

What about York Mills station? Are there any plans to replace the wall tiles at platform level?

When the Eglinton Crosstown LRT opens, there should be washrooms at Eglinton West station. St. George station is the busiest station without washrooms.

Anyone know why the ceilings at St. George have been painted black?

To prepare for the eventual use of the Toronto Rockets on the Bloor-Danforth. The process has already been done for the YUS.

The new TR air conditioning exhausts blow towards the ceiling as opposed to the track on the older trains. Wouldn't look too great on white paint.

I think Broadview has also had its ceiling painted black.

I think Pape is dark blue now too (will have to check though). But should work just as well.
It is - as part of the upgrades. This was planned for years, and was nothing to do with the TRs. Serendipity!

Hopefully they upgrade the lighting in the stations they do this to. (THAT program has been moving slowly ...).

Back