39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Toronto City Hall opening ceremonies 1899

dignitariesatCityHall1899_zps6d492561.jpg

wow, so much diversity

"evocative images of lost toronto"

i'm glad we no longer live in this toronto

Oh, c'mon man. There are at least two dozen diverse variations of facial hair visible in that photo, including several varieties of mutton chops.

Early Toronto Islands

Dotty's Hippodrome c.1885-95

Titled-DottysHippodrome-c1885-95_zps022aeb86.jpg

Centre Island

CentreIsland1912_zps434a34d9.jpg

Hanlans Point

foreground - roller coaster, baseball stadium
middle - site of airport-to-be
top - Fort York, CNE grounds

baseballstadium-Hanlans_zps516decc0.jpg

Oh, c'mon man. There are at least two dozen diverse variations of facial hair visible in that photo, including several varieties of mutton chops.
Not to mention I am sure they are a fair mixture of Scottish and even Irish decent people!

Not to mention Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, high Anglicans, low Anglicans and maybe (just maybe) a Lutheran.

Not to mention I am sure they are a fair mixture of Scottish and even Irish decent people!

There were probably a few people of Irish descent in the picture, though not everyone at the time would have considered them decent.

And we haven't even gotten into the sartorial diversity on display there.

There were probably a few people of Irish descent in the picture, though not everyone at the time would have considered them decent.

And we haven't even gotten into the sartorial diversity on display there.

I beg to differ. My Irish-immigrant ancestors were well established in Toronto by 1860. Through The Queen’s Own Rifles, my great-grandfather became life-long friends with John Morison Gibson, a Member of the Legislature from 1879 to 1905. Gibson held the posts of Provincial Secretary, Commissioner of Crown Lands and Attorney General of Ontario before serving as Lieutenant Governor from 1908 to 1914. He was the son of Scottish immigrants.

Good catch! Might be public spirited to suggest Archives add to their photo caption? It's a great photo!

It is from the Toronto Archives!

wilton.jpg

Here's a less poetic view of the same house in the 70's:

grit10.jpg

And today:

dundasmutual.jpg

Attachments

• grit10.jpg
    grit10.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 977
  • wilton.jpg
    wilton.jpg