8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 1m
According to a release from the Chow campaign, Tory has pulled out of the @enzodimatteo-moderated TTC Riders debate at 5:00.

Tory pulling out of a debate? The Fordites will be all over that.

Cynthia Mulligan ‏@CityCynthia 12s
John Tory pulls out of 3 debates including one at 5 today, says has entered "new phase of campaign". Total mayoral debates this wk #topoli

Probably only had canned responses for Rob, that and Chow actually can answer questions.

Let's remember how many Ford Nationals do *not* live in Toronto--and that the Fords have been openly making overtures to them, whether through Ford Fest invites or Vaughan-style fundraisers...

Since "Ford Nation" (always got to have the quotes for that one) is based on the premise of hating Toronto, it only makes sense that a good chunk of it's base would be drawn from outside the city limits.

I think some of you guys are over-reacting to Tory skipping a few debates. It's still too early. Keep in mind that there are still more than 30 debates left between now and election day in 6 weeks, which is an awful lot. Skipping a few isn't going to make much of a difference, especially since we haven't entered the final, intense push. The average voters probably aren't going to start paying full attention until the last 2 weeks or so, by which time the three big candidates will come out blazing with everything they have.

I might agree with you except that it was so last minute that many people are out time and money, not to mention those who planned to attend but were left with no debate. In a debate with 3+ participants! or an emergency! it could be swallowed but under these circumstances I'm not so sure. Media also doesn't appear impressed.

The Reform party destroyed and consumed the remains of the PC party. Remember that? They rebranded themselves as Alliance......then the Conservative Party of Canada.

"Canadian Alliance Party of Canada" and "Progressive Conservative of Canada" both voted to disband and combine into "Conservative Party of Canada".

That of course has nothing to do with the OPC party.

Think these will keep Robbie's feet warm?

71BjO03ocDL._UL1500_1.jpg

http://boingboing.net/2014/09/12/intestine-socks.html

(I know these are dark, sick and twisted but I've had one hell of a night.)

Attachments

• 71BjO03ocDL._UL1500_1.jpg
    71BjO03ocDL._UL1500_1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 946
Last edited:
Never trust online polls. There's also a thing called "self-selection bias", look it up.

That survey is entirely and utterly useless. Sorry. I may as well ask my cat and my friends' cats who they'd vote for, and call that a representative sample.

Mayor Whiskas 2014!

That is a risky move; some undecideds I know are not impressed with him right now. He could give a down-and-out Chow an opening here.... but he could also just step back into stride at his next big next big debate. I think that would be the next debate Doug participates in.

these were "big debates" -- Transit (hellooo? Mr SmartTrack?) and Waterfront. No offense to neighbourhood groups but this was much more high profile than some "biddies of Bickford Park" debate about unscooped doggie droppings and whatever else is annoying them that day. I would have thought he was prepping for these two debates for a while -- even before the FordBros switcheroo. Chow is right; he looks scared. He would have had to give clear answers to very specific questions, and there'd be no Ford circus to serve as a distraction -- so he decides to bail.

I can kind of understand Olivia not wanting to debate vs Ari Goldkind on her own. A fringe candidate has nothing to lose and can attack a front-runner from places that another front-runner never would (because those tables can be turned). Although he is very grounded and realistic in his policies, he can effectively "say anything" and promise anything, because there's no chance he'll be held to his words.

I think some of you guys are over-reacting to Tory skipping a few debates. It's still too early. Keep in mind that there are still more than 30 debates left between now and election day in 6 weeks, which is an awful lot. Skipping a few isn't going to make much of a difference, especially since we haven't entered the final, intense push. The average voters probably aren't going to start paying full attention until the last 2 weeks or so, by which time the three big candidates will come out blazing with everything they have.

First it was 'wait until Labour Day', now 'last 2 weeks'. All these delaying tactics by various candidates sure points to needing a much, much shorter campaign.

these were "big debates" -- Transit (hellooo? Mr SmartTrack?) and Waterfront.

If I were Tory, I'd avoid any debate with transit-informed audience members. Smarttrack is just glorified GO service and could be completely redundant if the province were to step up the frequency of GO train service from Main to Union.

Also, it doesn't truly address the issues on the Yonge line that the DRL would; namely the density pressure of Leaside. Those people aren't going to bus east or south of Bloor to catch Tory's train, so it's really just tossing shit on the wall in hopes it'll fool people that we're getting new and useful transit that serves a demand (see Sheppard Stubway for reference).

It's really the only major problem I'd have with Tory taking the election; it's just another transit plan to buy votes ( namely in Scarborough).

Informed transit users would tear Tory apart, especially if Jon Lorinc or Steve Munro were given a chance to ask a question.

Well we have Warmingtons article describing Ford returning constit calls from his hospital bed this morning. I question everything the Ford's say but his health issues actually sound pretty grim. Pray for Rob, folks. No idea why we needed to hear Charles McVety weigh in on the situation.

Last edited:
Well we have Warmingtons article describing Ford returning constit calls from his hospital bed this morning. I question everything the Ford's say but his health issues actually sound pretty grim. Pray for Rob, folks.

That Warmington is one sad piece of work but yeah lung biopsy for a GI/abdominal mass/tumor sounds like bad news. Consistent with spreading/metastasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back