News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they'd be way better for surveillance than using the Cessna. Remember, half of Etobicoke complained about the noise when Giroux was following Lisi and Rob around.

This could have been an awesome Socknaki plank: In future, TPS will conduct all surveillence of mayoral criminality using drone technology. It will be cheaper and less disruptive to neighbourhoods.

start a helio thread, please.

But this is the Hello Canada thread.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 3.34.35 PM.png

ETA: Oops, read it as "hello thread".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 3.34.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 3.34.35 PM.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 740
On a serious note, do you think that the TPS ought to have one or more helicopters? Would they add that much value?

I'm not sure, I haven't looked into it. It surely would help if you had people running from the police, but we do have friends at York Region and, as you pointed out, at the OPP who do have helicopters, but whether the cost of purchasing it and operating it (and hiring pilots, observers, maintaining it) is 'worth it', I don't know. I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I'm just an aviation geek, not some sort of police equipment analyst. ;-) More equipment in the skies is always a good thing for me since I love seeing them!

I'll tell you one thing, once I was a kid trespassing on an empty construction site and I guess we tripped an alarm, since within minutes a helicopter was shining a light on us and 10 cruisers and a K9 unit descended on us. Guess they thought we were robbers, instead of kids just wanted to drink beer in peace. Anyhow, when it's hovering over you and you've got that spotlight on you, it's a very intense feeling of "oh shit, no way we're getting away from this".

I think they'd be way better for surveillance than using the Cessna. Remember, half of Etobicoke complained about the noise when Giroux was following Lisi and Rob around.

Despite what movie clichés might present, there's no such thing as a silent helicopter. ;)

Aircraft engines can be loud, but helicopters are louder. At least with a plane, you can throttle down the engine a bit and reduce some of that noise and not drop too fast. Helicopters though, you throttle back and you're heading down. No thermal lift, no glide.

This could have been an awesome Socknaki plank: In future, TPS will conduct all surveillence of mayoral criminality using drone technology. It will be cheaper and less disruptive to neighbourhoods.

Even cheaper and more discrete: Make every mayor wear a GPS ankle bracelet.

Despite what movie clichés might present, there's no such thing as a silent helicopter. ;)

Aircraft engines can be loud, but helicopters are louder. At least with a plane, you can throttle down the engine a bit and reduce some of that noise and not drop too fast. Helicopters though, you throttle back and you're heading down. No thermal lift, no glide.
While I've made a lot of fun at those complaining about noise from the island airport, it is the helicopters I hear passing low over my house in the middle of the night, rather than any planes, or the nearby trains and streetcars.

Actually, helicopters can glide - sort of. Enough to save your ass if your engine quits, but it's not very much fun (and while even newbie pilots practice it, I would NOT want to be in a helo that had to do it for real). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

But yes, they are quite loud. It's not the end of the world, but if you were being followed by a helicopter... you'd know.

How would drones compare? (And would a couple of TPS people have to move to Nevada, where they have those trailers/bunkers?)

[ETA: Just kidding with the parenthetical.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back