Just got my letter for the firm move-in date. The "final tentative occupancy", sent at the end of July, was January 5th.. and five weeks later the "Firm Date" is June 23. This is my first time buying a home and first time buying preconstruction and I was pretty shocked to see that the "firm date" was 5 months after the most recent estimated date. I expected it to be pushed a few weeks, obviously, but 5 months?!

Is it typical for the firm date to be so far removed from the last estimate they had? Just wondering if there's anything that happened in the past 5 weeks that anyone knows of, or if it's just the typical process.. anyone talked to GG?

Just got my letter for the firm move-in date. The "final tentative occupancy", sent at the end of July, was January 5th.. and five weeks later the "Firm Date" is June 23. This is my first time buying a home and first time buying preconstruction and I was pretty shocked to see that the "firm date" was 5 months after the most recent estimated date. I expected it to be pushed a few weeks, obviously, but 5 months?!

Is it typical for the firm date to be so far removed from the last estimate they had? Just wondering if there's anything that happened in the past 5 weeks that anyone knows of, or if it's just the typical process.. anyone talked to GG?

I dont have any answers for you stm, but I think what you are experiencing is very standard for new builds. It's almost certain you should expect delays without any real reasoning.

That doesn't sound like something Great Gulf would do. They are always on top of things.
It sounds like it could be an error on your letter. Maybe it was supposed to be Jan 23 instead of Jun 23.
I would call them up.

Which floor is your unit? I know some are starting final occupancy @ Feb next year.

Which floor is your unit? I know some are starting final occupancy @ Feb next year.

My unit is on 22, so about halfway up. I had thought that it might be a mistake as well... specifically because I just read the Tarion "critical dates" document and it says that the developer is not legally allowed to set a "firm date" that is more than 120 days from the "final tentative occupancy date", while for me it seems that the firm date is 169 days from the final tentative date.

I'll contact them and post the results here in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Anyone know what kind of fridge comes with these unis? What brand?

I seem to recall reading Whirlpool but it should say in the big X2 pamphlet if you have one (I'll check my own when I find it)

Edit: may have misremembered, didn't see anything about a brand when I glanced over the docs

Last edited:
Heard back from GG. Apparently my unit is being occupied last because it is one of the hoist units (i.e. the outside elevator runs up and down along my unit and all other 03 units). However, the firm date they gave me is 189 days from the "final tentative" date and based on my interpretation of the Tarion warranty form for critical dates, I should be entitled $150 per day due to delayed occupancy. Anyone know if I've got a good claim there?

Also, are there advantages to being basically one of the last 25 suites to occupy?

Heard back from GG. Apparently my unit is being occupied last because it is one of the hoist units (i.e. the outside elevator runs up and down along my unit and all other 03 units). However, the firm date they gave me is 189 days from the "final tentative" date and based on my interpretation of the Tarion warranty form for critical dates, I should be entitled $150 per day due to delayed occupancy. Anyone know if I've got a good claim there?

Also, are there advantages to being basically one of the last 25 suites to occupy?

The advantage is you will need to pay less occupancy fee, as until final closing you are paying like some monthly rental. And the disadvantage is if you planning to rent out, you will be last on the line. If what they are saying is true, it will take at least 4 months for final closing...hmh..

Update: GG said they made a mistake and that my firm date is now May 5 (exactly 120 days from the final tentative date). Not sure if this makes me feel a lot better, but at least it's sorted out and I have a firm date now that I can claim delayed occupancy from if they miss it.

Anyone else get a correction to their occupancy date in X2? Based on the reason they gave me, it should be xx03 units, so if you have an 03 and you didn't get a letter you may want to call them!

Update: GG said they made a mistake and that my firm date is now May 5 (exactly 120 days from the final tentative date). Not sure if this makes me feel a lot better, but at least it's sorted out and I have a firm date now that I can claim delayed occupancy from if they miss it.

Anyone else get a correction to their occupancy date in X2? Based on the reason they gave me, it should be xx03 units, so if you have an 03 and you didn't get a letter you may want to call them!

Yes I got my letter saying that my firm occupancy date is now May 5, 2015 instead of July 2015. I have an 03 unit also on the 43rd floor.

Someone asked about the brand of the refrigerator . The brand is Bloomberg if I recall correctly .

I bought a studio unit in 2010 when I was planning to live in downtown Toronto. But now I moved out of Toronto and I really need to sell it. Does anybody know when/how I can advertise my unit?

Back