8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
/rant

We all know the Fords are Republicans, well at least the ones that have joined the political arena, but I am really getting tired of Dougie spouting examples that concern the U.S. From a "strong mayoral system" to places he has visited, and made "deals", and his hard-on is really starting to piss me off. I don't live in the U.S., I don't want to live in the U.S... this is Canada, a different place than the U.S. If Dougie wants to live in the U.S. then he should move there. I know rules are more lax for business there and they have the illusion of the "free market", and politicians are virtual dictators, and this is quite preferable to a Republican but we don't have a Republican party in Canada nor do we have a party system in the municipality of Toronto.

/end rant

That is a very good point. Has Chow done any recent one on one town hall esq meets in Chinese neighbourhoods? Doing so, and holding them in Chinese, would likely do wonders to boost her among that portion of the population.

Sadly, in my expereince (based on discussions re: Ford and Chow) the idiot quotient among Chinese Canadians appears to be in line with that of the general population. I was surprised but maybe that was just me being racist.

That is a very good point. Has Chow done any recent one on one town hall esq meets in Chinese neighbourhoods? Doing so, and holding them in Chinese, would likely do wonders to boost her among that portion of the population.

Recent immigrants may support Ford in socially conservative ways but they're unlikely to be yelling and screaming at debates. The immigrant generation is generally less likely to get in trouble with the law etc. than later generations (aka the Canadian born).

Are there nepotism rules that would prevent Doofus from making Rofo his DM? If not, how did we luck out of them attempting the reverse in 2010?

/rant

We all know the Fords are Republicans, well at least the ones that have joined the political arena, but I am really getting tired of Dougie spouting examples that concern the U.S. From a "strong mayoral system" to places he has visited, and made "deals", and his hard-on is really starting to piss me off. I don't live in the U.S., I don't want to live in the U.S... this is Canada, a different place than the U.S. If Dougie wants to live in the U.S. then he should move there. I know rules are more lax for business there and they have the illusion of the "free market", and politicians are virtual dictators, and this is quite preferable to a Republican but we don't have a Republican party in Canada nor do we have a party system in the municipality of Toronto.

/end rant

And you can't run a strong mayor system without municipal-level political parties to act as a check and balance.

Are there nepotism rules that would prevent Doofus from making Rofo his DM? If not, how did we luck out of them attempting the reverse in 2010?

“Anyone who is elected to council can be deputy mayor,” said Gabriel Eidelman, also an assistant professor of political science at the University of Toronto.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1561343/w...ord-as-councillor-mean-for-toronto-city-hall/

Deputy Mayor Rob Ford?
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/07/deputy-mayor-rob-ford

"I wouldn’t rule it in or rule it out.”
Doug Ford

RIOTS ASSURED / WORST WORST CASE SCENARIO
MT @richardpicart:
Doug wins.
Rob wins.
Doug names Rob Deputy Mayor.
Doug quits.
https://twitter.com/IanKiarrrrrrr/status/519923792798556161

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that council would have to ratify any choice for Deputy Mayor. I'm too lazy to double-check this.

So Dougie can't just dictate who he wants. I just can't see council going along with Robbie as Deputy!

I think I read somewhere that council would have to ratify any choice for Deputy Mayor. I'm too lazy to double-check this.

So Dougie can't just dictate who he wants. I just can't see council going along with Robbie as Deputy!
The City of Toronto Act gives the Mayor power to appoint the heads of committees and a deputy head of council (who then form the Executive Committee). The Deputy Mayor does not become Mayor if the Mayor resigns or is removed - there is a by-election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back