News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting if council shifts to a more left-leaning, progressive stance with newly councillors elected yet the mayor we've chosen isn't the left-leaning, progressive candidate.

Even if council doesn't shift more to the left, it will be interesting to see how the next term rolls out. When the term began in 2010, it seemed many felt the need to go along with the mayor's agenda based on a sense of mandate from the election. That's how you ended up with people like Wong-Tam voting to eliminate the car tax. But the break of the 'mushy middle' over the cuts in the second budget really turned the tide and seemed to activate the councillors. And of course, the motions to reduce Ford's powers were unprecedented, as was the need to govern without an adequate elected leader.

As I see it, the result was an increased activism among councillors from left to right. Many of them will be returning, and it's hard to put that genie back in the bottle. I predict the next mayor will have more of a struggle to get councillors onside, and many election planks will need to undergo radical revision to pass. (I even think Tory, who is most likely to win, is counting on that so that he can turn what might be deemed failures to get his platform through into successes of co-operation).

Nope. Shooting at civilians is terrorism, not soldiers. If there is no political motivation, it's not terrorism. This could just be a public shooting spree, which is still very bad, but not the same thing as terrorism.

they have 3 people in hospital, the soldier is dead, people on lockdown. Civilians, terrorized. Given the timing (caucus meetings)...terrorism.

Here are the actual tweets from NORAD

NORAD & USNORTHCOM @NoradNorthcom · 1h 1 hour ago
We stand w/ our Canadian partners as scene unfolds in Ottawa. We stand resolute in defense of our 2 nations.First responders in our thoughts

NORAD & USNORTHCOM @NoradNorthcom · 1h 1 hour ago
NORAD taking appropriate and prudent steps to ensure adequate posture to respond quickly to any incidents involving aviation in Canada.

well, Doug Ford has decided it's Islamic terrorism - caught him talking about watching for radicalized people.

I am curious about people unsure if the shootings today are terrorism. Shooting in a public place, killing a soldier and attempting to fire on government is terrorism. 3 people are wounded in hospital and they think one or two people are still at large. The downtown is locked down. Yes, this is terrorism, we just don't know the motivation.

Well, by that definition the guy who shot two cops at the Pentagon in 2010 was a terrorist. It's technically true, I guess, but not what people think of when they think of the term. Is it organized, and is it Islamic-based are the two most important questions that have yet to be answered. I think you need both both of those things for it to really be considered "capital-T" terrorism, at least as most people think of the term.

I am curious about people unsure if the shootings today are terrorism. Shooting in a public place, killing a soldier and attempting to fire on government is terrorism. 3 people are wounded in hospital and they think one or two people are still at large. The downtown is locked down. Yes, this is terrorism, we just don't know the motivation.

I think "motivation" is the key word in the discussion of "terrorism." It could be dometisic, a la Timothy McVeigh, or international, like Al Qaeda. Or it could be nut jobs, a was the case in the Columbine. Whatever it is, it certainly looks planned.

what's the timing?
I'd assume the timing is that the announcement earlier this morning that Canada was raising it's domestic terror level was raised for the first time in 4 years last week - http://globalnews.ca/news/1626941/c...t-quietly-elevated-for-first-time-in-4-years/ - and then raised it again yesterday - http://www.citynews.ca/2014/10/21/canada-raises-domestic-terrorism-threat-level/

With such an unusual announcement yesterday, the timing of the attack today, would suggest that this is terrorism. Not sure if it is or not - but the timing suggests it.

I'd assume the timing is that the announcement earlier this morning that Canada was raising it's domestic terror level was raised for the first time in 4 years last week - http://globalnews.ca/news/1626941/c...t-quietly-elevated-for-first-time-in-4-years/ - and then raised it again yesterday - http://www.citynews.ca/2014/10/21/canada-raises-domestic-terrorism-threat-level/

With such an unusual announcement yesterday, the timing of the attack today, would suggest that this is terrorism. Not sure if it is or not - but the timing suggests it.

Ah right of course. Didn't think of that.

I think for some people fat=real.

I think it has more to do with class.

Ms. Chow likes to remind us of growing up with very little. Doug can't claim that, but he likes to remind us that he once upon a time swept floors at Deco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back