News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd assume the timing is that the announcement earlier this morning that Canada was raising it's domestic terror level was raised for the first time in 4 years last week - http://globalnews.ca/news/1626941/c...t-quietly-elevated-for-first-time-in-4-years/ - and then raised it again yesterday - http://www.citynews.ca/2014/10/21/canada-raises-domestic-terrorism-threat-level/

With such an unusual announcement yesterday, the timing of the attack today, would suggest that this is terrorism. Not sure if it is or not - but the timing suggests it.

The fact the terror level has been increased, that NORAD is on alert, that the U.S. is monitoring, events surrounding military personnel etc., the fact there is any question we should assume the worst and hope for the best is astounding. You have to know that more is known than we are told.

If there isn't the possibility this is real terrorism, why has this spread across the country in terms of heightened security and vigilance? Why are tours of government building as the provincial level being cancelled and even our transit system is on heightened alert.

I personally would prefer it not be, but we have been on "the list" for Al Quaeda and Isis, so not inconceivable our number finally came up. As I'm watching Global's coverage and there is more skewing of the coverage as a terror event rather than an OC Transpo type event.

That doesn't say they raised the alert level. Just indicates they are paying attention. Implies they would be put on alert if there was an aviation threat.

Any indication that they are flying a CAP? There were F-18s screeching along Lake Ontario back in 2001/2002.

The fact the terror level has been increased, that NORAD is on alert,
Again, there is no indication that NORAD has raised the alert level.

The fact the terror level has been increased, that NORAD is on alert, that the U.S. is monitoring, events surrounding military personnel etc., the fact there is any question we should assume the worst and hope for the best is astounding. You have to know that more is known than we are told.

If there isn't the possibility this is real terrorism, why has this spread across the country in terms of heightened security and vigilance? Why are tours of government building as the provincial level being cancelled and even our transit system is on heightened alert.

I personally would prefer it not be, but we have been on "the list" for Al Quaeda and Isis, so not inconceivable our number finally came up. As I'm watching Global's coverage and there is more skewing of the coverage as a terror event rather than an OC Transpo type event.

I think that if people start shooting around government buildings it is normal to monitor the situation carefully and increase vigilance even in neighbouring states.

That doesn't say they raised the alert level. Just indicates they are paying attention. Implies they would be put on alert if there was an aviation threat.

Any indication that they are flying a CAP? There were F-18s screeching along Lake Ontario back in 2001/2002.

Again, there is no indication that NORAD has raised the alert level.

At Pearson and my flight is on time. More security guards than usual though. Normal they are being cautious with this.

I am curious about people unsure if the shootings today are terrorism. Shooting in a public place, killing a soldier and attempting to fire on government is terrorism. 3 people are wounded in hospital and they think one or two people are still at large. The downtown is locked down. Yes, this is terrorism, we just don't know the motivation.

Unless the shooter on the lam is rumoured to be Rob Ford or one of his family members, I'm not sure what the relevance to this thread is.

But I'm not sure it really matters to you or I either way in the big picture? Whether it was real "terrorism" or criminal nutjob activity the results are mostly the same. Like any incident where multiple people are shot/injured/killed, it sucks and I wish it hadn't happened but neither motive really changes my life in any significant way. I don't really feel like life has gotten "more" dangerous regardless.

Last edited:
Regarding Forum and landlines... I know we've had some discussion about this before specifically regarding what qualifies exactly as a "land line" (for the purposes of that discussion). My cell phone number was a land line number that was ported over at least 5 years ago. I've never received a call from a polling company but I virtually never answer my phone unless it's someone I know. My significant other has a similar situation (land line ported to a cell) and she received a call from Forum the other day.

So I don't think it's technically accurate to claim that Forum doesn't call cell phones.

True, but that doesn't mean cell phones aren't a factor in polling results. Not everyone who moved from a landline ported the number over to a cellphone, which according to this board at least, seems to be the circumstance that results in calls from polling companies like Forum.

A few things to consider: 1) porting was a fairly recent development - lots of people who switched to cell never had the option 2) Many people who were carrying both simply dropped the landline and kept their cell number and 3) young people, who never had landlines of their own, simply adopted cells from the outset.

I'm one of those people who carried both for a few years. When I had my landline, I got called for EVERYTHING. But since I dropped the landline and kept my cell, NOTHING. Hardly scientific, but I'v asked widely - this seems a common experience among my friends and colleagues.

At Pearson and my flight is on time. More security guards than usual though. Normal they are being cautious with this.
That's not a surprise. I recall flying out of Heathrow a few days after the El Al terror attacks in Europe. There was a lot of heavy armoured vehicles surrounding the airport, and soldiers wandering through the terminal carrying (in their hands) automatic weapons. I expect Pearson and Ottawa International are quite sedate in comparison.

But I'm not sure it really matters to you or I either way in the big picture? Whether it was real "terrorism" or criminal nutjob activity the results are mostly the same. Like any mass casualty event it sucks and I wish it hadn't happened but neither motive really changes my life in any significant way. I don't really feel like life has gotten "more" dangerous regardless.
There's no indication that there is a mass casualty event. There's been only 3 reported injuries (other than the gunmen). Two seem stable and relatively minor, and one may be fatal (Kenny has deleted his tweet about the soldier dying - not sure why).

Last edited:
I'm one of those people who carried both for a few years. When I had my landline, I got called for EVERYTHING. But since I dropped the landline and kept my cell, NOTHING. Hardly scientific, but I'v asked widely - this seems a common experience among my friends and colleagues.
My experience too. One landline listed in the white pages, and 2 cell phones that aren't (do any cell phones get listed in the white pages?). There's been 5 or 6 polls, and various town-hall calls too on the land line. On the mobiles? Nothing.

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with class.

Ms. Chow likes to remind us of growing up with very little. Doug can't claim that, but he likes to remind us that he once upon a time swept floors at Deco.

I agree casita. The "real" seems to come from the Fords' gruff manner of speaking, full of common sayings, and not a lot of polish. They are upper middle class trust fund babies who sound like working class everymen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back