Don't get too excited....what the city rejected was far better. This is the compromise.

your right the towers before were better and I think one of the new towers has a part that turns outward too much I think but overall the buildings are unbelievable and beautiful and they are taller too. Tall is sexy.

Put me down as prefering round two over the original trio. I found the three of them, all at more or less the same sight, grossly overpowering for the area. I think this project will work out nicely. And I expect to see further refinements of the design, too.

Don't get too excited....what the city rejected was far better. This is the compromise.

The three towers in the original design were more visually striking in my opinion. But this is a good compromise because it will save the Princess of Wales Theatre and there will be a taller tower. I think the original project was going to take up to seven years. I presume a similar timeline for the current project - I suppose a lot of things can happen/change in the meantime.

I like the revised version better too, considering the project overall. I'm also very excited about the hinted-at new public space to be added.

The structural framing reminds me of high-tech architecture--it's obviously meant to be seen. But Gehry's work isn't in the high-tech style. He's making a point about architecture by separating the ornamental curved facade from the functional. Form doesn't have to follow function for a building to have great architecture. Architecture is about the ornamental facade. There's no need to pretend it isn't by minimizing ornamentation the way the Modernists did. I think it's a good point since his designs are spectacular; however, Modernist architecture can achieve impressive results with less apparent design effort, lower costs and simpler and more functional spaces.

The problem with Gehry's exposed structures is that shoddy fixes are on display. For example, at the Guggenheim, you can see hastily cut wedges of plywood held by vices to fill gaps. This is how it was built, not something introduced after. This would be fine if it were hidden behind a wall. It looks terrible when it's so prominently exposed to the world.

The problem with Gehry's exposed structures is that shoddy fixes are on display. For example, at the Guggenheim, you can see hastily cut wedges of plywood held by vices to fill gaps. This is how it was built, not something introduced after.

I have no clue what you're talking about, but let's for the sake of argument, take your word for it.

So...are you saying Gehry designed it that way?

Yea...that's what I thought. So why blame Gehry?

This continuing discourse about what a hack Gehry is and what an evil bastard Mirvish is, is one of the more perplexing enigmas in this city. Even more so coming from the so-called informed members of this forum.

10350426_727904183913199_3719500036741470844_n.jpg

It does look a litle like two people meeting - and Toronto does mean "meeting place" as I recall.

Could be a great modern art depiction of just that.

(actually one could argue it looks like four people meeting)

It does look a litle like two people meeting - and Toronto does mean "meeting place" as I recall.

Yes the front portion of the taller tower looks like an offspring of the other tower (whereas the back portion of the smaller tower resembles the taller tower). Maybe two parents and two children out for a walk :)?

Yes the front portion of the taller tower looks like an offspring of the other tower (whereas the back portion of the smaller tower resembles the taller tower). Maybe two parents and two children out for a walk :)?

I was just about to post the same thing. It does look like a family of four.

Lol,I perceived it differently after reading what Big Daddy said about it looking like two people meeting and Toronto meaning Meeting Place. I saw the one on the right being female with a bustle skirt in the back (period dress for the time when Toronto was founded) and the tower on the left is male with the square jaw holding behind himself a bouquet of flowers for her. : ).
They are Toronto's version of Mississauga's male/female Marilynn tower and her consort lol.

Last edited:
All of those interpretations are great, I thought something similar myself. I like this version they really do have a dialogue, where as 3 just looked plunked down and meaningless. Interesting, but meaningless.

I think Toronto actually derives from a word that means “place where trees grow in the waterâ€. I heard that the “meeting place†meaning is a misconception.

I think Toronto actually derives from a word that means “place where trees grow in the water”. I heard that the “meeting place” meaning is a misconception.

I don't think there is a consensus as to which Indian language initiated the name - and it would be different for each language - or if it was in reference to this city or the area on the south shore of lake Simcoe - so I prefer to go with "meeting place" (the Huron association) but no one knows for sure.

We'll see what comes out of Toronto:)

Canadian architect Frank Gehry flips off reporter
Canadian-born architect Frank Gehry called 98% of today's buildings "pure s---" and flipped off a reporter who asked if his own work was about being a spectacle.

Following another question, Gehry said most of modern architecture is "damn buildings and that's it."
"In this world we are living in, 98% of everything that is built and designed today is pure s---. There's no sense of design, no respect for humanity or for anything else," he said.
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/24/canadian-architect-frank-gehry-flips-off-reporter

Back