10547336_824874607557804_6372956475256843388_o.jpg

10350426_727904183913199_3719500036741470844_n.jpg

To be fair to Usahid, that stepup feature on the taller tower does look like a third tower in certain versions of the render. I know I made the same mistake when I first saw the two towers version. But, as was said earlier, there are indeed only two towers.

With condo sales going so well right now, why is Mirvish waiting so long to start sales? It has been approved by the city, so put them on the market and let's see how things go.

There's a little more to designing and planning a Gehry tower launch than your average condo. It's not like these guys are sitting around twiddling their thumbs. They'll market them when they're ready.

Love these sexy boys. They have potential to be iconic. Hopefully it's well executed... if they ever get into the construction phase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any idea whether these designs contemplate any balconies? It's a bit tough to tell but doesn't look like it. I hope there are no balconies.

I saw 8 Spruce two weeks ago as viewed from nearby (not up close). It is a handsome tower in person in my opinion. If these towers live up to the same standard I think it will be an excellent addition to our catalogue of buildings. The one thing I'm not sure of is how it will interact visually with the sea of high-rises going up. 8 Spruce is enhanced by it's relationship with the older buildings that form the background for it in Manhattan. Our background will be grey condo buildings.

I also recently saw his Dancing building in Prague. I noticed while there that much of the space was for lease. Maybe that was a temporary state but I have noticed that a lot of what we talk about as notable architecture struggles to meet the needs of it's occupants over time.

To be fair to Usahid, that stepup feature on the taller tower does look like a third tower in certain versions of the render. I know I made the same mistake when I first saw the two towers version. But, as was said earlier, there are indeed only two towers.

thanks for the clarification:). I just looked at the picture after your post and realised that tiny little tower is a part of that 1000ft tower.

There's a little more to designing and planning a Gehry tower launch than your average condo. It's not like these guys are sitting around twiddling their thumbs. They'll market them when they're ready.

Absolutely true - I hope Mirvish knows what he is getting into financially. Cost overruns are pretty much a guarantee as Gehry likes to experiment with materials.
That ""mesh" on the taller tower is likely going to be some unique use of a material that will take time to test, test, test and maybe replace repeat etc. until they get the right effect and hopefully sustainability.

Can you imagine how an ice storm would cover certain materials? The added weight on a building of this scale?
Then there is wind loads and counterbalancing etc.
It all has to be thought about and designed in.

The "mesh" is glass cladding - I guess probably unitized curtain walls set at varying angles to create a wavy pattern - not that unique, though I imagine it'd create challenges with water penetration.

AoD

Back