8 Spruce is enhanced by it's relationship with the older buildings that form the background for it in Manhattan. Our background will be grey condo buildings.

Imo it will enhance Mirvish for the opposite reason, standing out far above and beyond the crowd.

The exposed framework and shoddy workmanship on some parts of the building is terrible. I've noticed this on his buildings with more extravagant flourishes, less on his more restrained work.

The quality of the workmanship is not exactly the architect's fault.

Imo it will enhance Mirvish for the opposite reason, standing out far above and beyond the crowd.

The quality of the workmanship is not exactly the architect's fault.

Yes but designing buildings that are little more than stage sets, intended to be seen from one or two angles, is.

Yes but designing buildings that are little more than stage sets, intended to be seen from one or two angles, is.

Can you expand on your point. I like to documents innovative criticisms of the world's greatest living architect, according to his peers, relating to his Toronto effort. I suspect you have an original criticism to document. Are you suggesting his existing works are stage sets, that's good please continue...

Can you expand on your point. I like to documents innovative criticisms of the world's greatest living architect, according to his peers, relating to his Toronto effort. I suspect you have an original criticism to document. Are you suggesting his existing works are stage sets, that's good please continue...

Actually, he hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have described it better in such a short description: Frank Gehry's work often looks like stage sets. I love his work but after having visited so many of his buildings, whenever they have large flourishes, they look like propped up stage sets, beautiful on one side, exposed back framing on the other.

The Pritzker Pavillion demonstrates this perfectly:

Pritzker_pavilion_east_back_far.jpg

It's also seen on his most well known piece, the Guggenheim in Bilbao

bilbao-bridge.jpg

I've had an opportunity to visit both. They're beautiful buildings no doubt but Gehry's lac of attention to detail up close has begun to come across as lazy to me. I still consider his work to be some of the most creative of any architect, but I now know to temper my expectations for buildings with a lot of flourishes.

Check out the Cleveland Clinic:

11ClClLVEntry.jpg

Those are just fake walls propped up like a stage set. Note that the backing of these walls isn't exactly hidden from view. They often see as much traffic as the nice sides. The Guggenheim for example has a very narrow sightline where you don't see the backing on one of the pieces.

Attachments

• Pritzker_pavilion_east_back_far.jpg
    Pritzker_pavilion_east_back_far.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,068
  • bilbao-bridge.jpg
    bilbao-bridge.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 11ClClLVEntry.jpg
    11ClClLVEntry.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited:
The structural framing reminds me of high-tech architecture--it's obviously meant to be seen. But Gehry's work isn't in the high-tech style. He's making a point about architecture by separating the ornamental curved facade from the functional. Form doesn't have to follow function for a building to have great architecture. Architecture is about the ornamental facade. There's no need to pretend it isn't by minimizing ornamentation the way the Modernists did. I think it's a good point since his designs are spectacular; however, Modernist architecture can achieve impressive results with less apparent design effort, lower costs and simpler and more functional spaces.

His buildings are undoubtedly more about aesthetics rather than function. There's a reason why his clients are mostly people that want to make a statement rather than something that functions well. He's basically a gimmick. He'll produce something that will require many engineering feats to accomplish, dramatically increasing the costs of your projects. His buildings would not have simple rectangular corners, which would mean lots of wasted space.

Not to say that's a bad thing, because he's definitely great at what he does, which is deconstructivism. But to call him one of the world's greatest architects is a bit of a stretch. He's more of an artist than an architect.

Relevant Simpsons episode featuring Frank Gehry.

Here is 8 Spruce with some context from its surroundings. I'm confident that our Gehry will leave a considerable impression.

8729903268_67a0db25a7_b.jpg

Attachments

• 8729903268_67a0db25a7_b.jpg
    8729903268_67a0db25a7_b.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
His buildings are undoubtedly more about aesthetics rather than function. There's a reason why his clients are mostly people that want to make a statement rather than something that functions well. He's basically a gimmick. He'll produce something that will require many engineering feats to accomplish, dramatically increasing the costs of your projects. His buildings would not have simple rectangular corners, which would mean lots of wasted space.

Not to say that's a bad thing, because he's definitely great at what he does, which is deconstructivism. But to call him one of the world's greatest architects is a bit of a stretch. He's more of an artist than an architect.

Relevant Simpsons episode featuring Frank Gehry.

Many buildings around the world could have been built cheaper by dropping design elements. What's your point? Advocating 'function', the Modernist box, the strip Mall, etc. Round and round we go.

I'd counter argue that "calling him one of the world's greatest architects is a bit of a stretch" is itself a huger stretch. You don't think he's one of the world's greatest architects? LOL.

As I review your first paragraph, it occurs to me Gehry himself wouldn't change a word since you are describing every famous architectural masterpiece of the last 5,000 years.

Cityplace for you.

But to call him one of the world's greatest architects is a bit of a stretch. He's more of an artist than an architect.
[/URL]

"The World Architecture Survey was conducted in 2010 by Vanity Fair, to determine the most important works of contemporary architecture. 52 leading architects, teachers, and critics, including several Pritzker Prize winners and deans of major architecture schools were asked for their opinion...Counted by architect, works by Frank Gehry received the most votes, followed by those of Rem Koolhaas."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Architecture_Survey

"He's more of an artist than an architect"

Do you separate the two? Many (perhaps most) of the greatest have been accomplished artists of some type as well.

btw the Homer Simpson link was funny, thanks.

But to call him one of the world's greatest architects is a bit of a stretch. He's more of an artist than an architect.

Your entitled to disagree with him being labeled as such, but to call it a "bit of a stretch" as if to suggest he's not even in the discussion? C'mon, that's laughable. Especially considering how highly regarded by not only the general public, but within the industry itself.

they look like propped up stage sets, beautiful on one side, exposed back framing on the other.

Those are just fake walls propped up like a stage set. Note that the backing of these walls isn't exactly hidden from view. They often see as much traffic as the nice sides. The Guggenheim for example has a very narrow sightline where you don't see the backing on one of the pieces.

That's all completely on purpose and one of the elements of his postmodernist oeuvre. Say you don't like it, but don't call it an oversight, when it is the intended point. It reminds me a little of the High Tech movement, where everything remains exposed, as opposed to covering them up (which, as it turns out, is far more complex and expensive to do actually).

are you telling the truth??? Something this grand and nice never gets approved in toronto. This is the greatest thing to happen to toronto in the last 10 years!

Don't get too excited....what the city rejected was far better. This is the compromise.

That's all completely on purpose and one of the elements of his postmodernist oeuvre. Say you don't like it, but don't call it an oversight, when it is the intended point. It reminds me a little of the High Tech movement, where everything remains exposed, as opposed to covering them up (which, as it turns out, is far more complex and expensive to do actually).

Exactly:

Pompidou_centre_paris.jpg

from http://www.gothereguide.com/pompidou+centre+paris-place/

Attachments

• Pompidou_centre_paris.jpg
    Pompidou_centre_paris.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,608

Back