News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was I the only one shocked to find out the regulations governing city government have no teeth at all, unless private citizens bring suit?!

No. You can add me to that list as well. And I can't imagine what kind off rubes this made us look like to the rest of the world as our lunatic "Mayor" rampaged unopposed.

I guess it took a Mayor who was just that brazen and had no allegiance to the code of conduct we all expected would pertain by virtue of office and the voters' trust, to make it clear why enforcement of 'automatic' penalties for breaches, needs to be built in. :\

No fucking kidding, and really: What the hell were the people who imposed these toothless "laws" thinking when they put this chickenshit system together? Was there no such thing as crooked politicians back then?

It's a way of preventing corruption due to, for one thing, cronyism, and to involve people in the democratic process.

I've heard this sort of explanation several times since the Ford Follies: Corruptus in Extremis/City Hall Edition began in 2010, and I'm sorry, but it just sounds insane to me. Quite apart from anything else, this rational seems to have had the exact opposite effect where the Fords were concerned.

And they did approve/disapprove of the performance of Wynne, Horwath, and someone by the name of Jim Wilson - who I confess I haven't heard of.

Acting PC leader.

image.jpg

Who looks a little Slurpy-like, no?

I'm kinda amazed that we didn't make the Troy McClure connection earlier. He's Tory's spitting image.

Though in the end, maybe it's fitting that the architects of the Mayor Frod twitter figured out the "Tory = Troy" thing...

totally forgot... Happy Halloween everyone! :p
B1TlMFHCQAATCkq.jpg:large

Here's a high concept I'd like to have seen: being greeted at the door by a guy in a Rob Ford mask, who proceeds to knock another guy's bag of Gummi burgers out of his hand and forces him to pick them up and put them into the kids' bags.

And maybe a Zombie Renata on the front porch, and offering the kids a stake so they can "do her".

Something I read about Rob and life insurance. This was written in Nov 2013. Not sure if we have any underwriters here.

Why Rob Ford can’t get life insurance
https://www.lifeinsurancecanada.com/why-rob-ford-cant-get-life-insurance/

As a councillor / mayor / councillor he would qualify for life insurance, but his indicates that as a private citizen it could be a problem. This, of course, was written before the cancer diagnosis.

Something I read about Rob and life insurance. This was written in Nov 2013. Not sure if we have any underwriters here.

Why Rob Ford can’t get life insurance
https://www.lifeinsurancecanada.com/why-rob-ford-cant-get-life-insurance/

As a councillor / mayor / councillor he would qualify for life insurance, but his indicates that as a private citizen it could be a problem. This, of course, was written before the cancer diagnosis.

I assume you mean that city council includes a certain amount of term life insurance that elected members are entitled to without proof of insurability, which is presumably some kind of group policy. The article is talking about normally underwritten insurance. In fact I am a bit surprised by the suggestion in the final paragraph that he could perhaps convert his group term coverage -- again I would assume that that would be possible only if the conversion is allowed without submitting any medical information. It isn't always.

I assume you mean that city council includes a certain amount of term life insurance that elected members are entitled to without proof of insurability, which is presumably some kind of group policy. The article is talking about normally underwritten insurance. In fact I am a bit surprised by the suggestion in the final paragraph that he could perhaps convert his group term coverage -- again I would assume that that would be possible only if the conversion is allowed without submitting any medical information. It isn't always.

Actually most group policies have a standard clause that allows you to convert within 30 days of leaving your employer with no medical required. It's one of those things that most people don't know about, and unfortunately aren't told when they leave their jobs.

Actually most group policies have a standard clause that allows you to convert within 30 days of leaving your employer with no medical required. It's one of those things that most people don't know about, and unfortunately aren't told when they leave their jobs.

I don't know whether the city policy allows it in this case and in any case Rob has clung to his job with all his might, so would the situation even apply?

I don't know whether the city policy allows it in this case and in any case Rob has clung to his job with all his might, so would the situation even apply?

The City has a standard group policy that allows you to convert within 30 days of leaving your job. You can trust on this, my late husband worked for the City for over 30 years and I worked in the insurance industry for over 20 years. The City has a really good benefit package, one of the best I've come across. The bottom line is Rob could have decided not to run for councillor and he still would have life insurance available even with his shitty lifestyle and cancer.

Last edited:
Surely a process for bringing a complaint that would trigger an investigation (independence needing to be safeguarded, granted) without having legal fees and court wait-time to contend with, would make better sense...and provide for more equal access? Too many citizens afraid of the court system or lacking the necessary money or time, to make access fair and regulations enforced consistently under the current process, I think.

I never said it was a simple process, and there is a mechanism to obtain legal-aid lawyers for those who need them; I'm sure someone on UT has more info on this process.

When lawyers get involved things always get more complicated, for good or bad; however, as example the Ford brothers have screamed "sue, sue, sue!" but showed where the true power exists when called on their FUD. The process may be a pain but so is democracy for those people. How many people do you know believes their responsibility stops at election time? They don't know only you can give away your freedom of choice, and the power that comes with that freedom of choice; no one can take that power. FUD is an important tool for fascists, despots, and like people/entities to obtain an individual's voice. There has been a lot of de-education

Empowerment is key, if someone barks at you, bark back, don't let them bully you, we are full of shit, all equal, you need to find your voice. This is why forums like UT are important.

"There's enough money in the Deco kitty; I don't need insurance" has probably been RoFo's operating logic all this time.

The City has a standard group policy that allows you to convert within 30 days of leaving your job. You can trust on this, my late husband worked for the City for over 30 years and I worked in the insurance industry for over 20 years. The City has a really good benefit package, one of the best I've come across. The bottom line is Rob could have decided not to run for councillor and he still would have life insurance available even with his shitty lifestyle and cancer.

It probably doesn't matter. I mean, the ability to convert is to ensure that you have coverage after you leave the job. Since he still has the job he still has the group coverage.

What about short-term disability and long-term disability? I don't believe that he ran for council merely in order to keep his extended health, dental, and life coverage, but given that he got sick while he was still Mayor is there a disability plan that he could have gracefully relied on once he was diagnosed with cancer without running for office again?

I've heard this sort of explanation several times since the Ford Follies: Corruptus in Extremis/City Hall Edition began in 2010, and I'm sorry, but it just sounds insane to me. Quite apart from anything else, this rational seems to have had the exact opposite effect where the Fords were concerned.

Ever hear the Fords talk about "special interest" groups, and how they don't like them? The Fords are afraid of groups, they represent what questions the voters want answered, and how they want their leaders to act. Look at Ford Nation, this is a good example, but in reverse; FN is all about a messiah to lead them to the promised land, and in this case, do to events, Robbie would be Moses, and Dougie, Joshua. More simply, FN is all about giving their lives to an external entity instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

Look at the things UT people have done when their heads are put together.

The other thing is citizen journalism, blogs, and social media. Remember the Taste Of Danforth and how Robbie was captured being Robbie? Doug certainly didn't like people sharing what they saw, and started yelling about bullying.

Everyone always takes the same mocking tone. There can be other reasons, you know. I'm thinking of moving back in with my mom now that she's widowed. My brother lives with her and he's Rob's age (though for him it actually IS a necessity; he doesn't make enough money to move out. Whereas I earn more than my mom & have been on my own for a long time).

A lot of people from other cultures also live in large extended families. This "move out when you're 18 to prove that you're not a loser" thing in North America is just one perspective on life and no one ever offers any proof that it's the right one. There are other lifestyles and perspectives out there.

Kat, IMHO, you're a bit of a Ford apologist. However, in this case, you might be right. Late 40s men with grown kids that you're fighting to see? Live with mom. Serious criminal record? Live with mom.

Yep, I can totally see how this fits into 'other cultures', like Irish WASPs.

What about short-term disability and long-term disability? I don't believe that he ran for council merely in order to keep his extended health, dental, and life coverage, but given that he got sick while he was still Mayor is there a disability plan that he could have gracefully relied on once he was diagnosed with cancer without running for office again?

Rob is a lifer.

"Toronto mayor tells debate audience he promised to be in politics for 30 years."
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ord_says_hell_be_mayor_for_14_more_years.html

Benefits are on page 22:
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/city_clerks/city_council/files/pdf/handbook_ext.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back