News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob is going to be difficult for JoTo to handle ( as if he isn't already ).

Former MINO now councillor with cancer + Doug ( ? ) + Ford Nation ( down but not out. )

"Toronto's loss, Chicago's gain," Doug Ford says when asked about his plans for private life."
https://twitter.com/lizchurchto/status/527198087178379264

I thought Doug loved Toronto and thought it was the greatest city in the world? Why would he want to leave the greatest city in the world? (especially when his little bro might need him most)

What I'm saying is, TO should really thank Rob for being it's greatest mayor, ever, 110%.

OMG, thanks for the tl;dr version! :p All that stuff about democratic process was making my eyes glaze over ...

(Seriously, I think you and Racquette both are right, and more succinct and articulate than I could hope to be.)

There is an interesting back & forth happening on Twitter between Warren Kinsella ‏(@kinsellawarren) and Joe Warmington (@joe_warmington) where basically Joe says Karen Stintz claimed she was offered $30k in exchange for her dropping out of the race before the deadline.

I've had a long day, my mind hurts & I'm going to bed so I'll leave this here for the scrutiny of the commentariat.

I'd really love to check out that back & forth, but apparently I'm not enrolled in a clinical trial for anti-nausea drugs.

There is an interesting back & forth happening on Twitter between Warren Kinsella ‏(@kinsellawarren) and Joe Warmington (@joe_warmington) where basically Joe says Karen Stintz claimed she was offered $30k in exchange for her dropping out of the race before the deadline.

I've had a long day, my mind hurts & I'm going to bed so I'll leave this here for the scrutiny of the commentariat.

If she were offered $$ to quit, is that bribing an official? Why would anyone be stupid enough to do that given her minuscule support? If it's true, might that be a basis to disqualify Tory? Jeez, just when I thought the circus and drama was over!

Bullseye. The current system sounds ok on paper. In reality, pfft.

Remember Rob showing up during advanced polls, claiming he's just helping folks like a good boyscout mayor. Rob ignoring an election worker's request for the MINO to leave? Esprit de corp and rousing feelings of democratic solidarity aside, hitting twitter or posting on a forum is not my idea of enforcement. If doing those things leads to an offender getting their tucchus bounced for flagrant shenanigans that's one thing. But Rob should've gotten automatically disqualified the minute he did it again if witnessed by an election worker(s), documented proof, especially after the (oh noes!) the sternly worded warning letter he received. If it needs a private citizen to even begin the process, the system really is nucking futz.

Rob's mayoralty need not be a complete failure. He showed that a public servant still need to talk to voters on a one on one level, and to remember they serve the public, not the other way around. Imagine if someone actually means that and backs it up with deeds! And Rob showed that many of the laws in place are laughably inadequate in the presence of a forceful enough bully in power who has no shame, or conscience. If the laws are enforced, changed and improved because of that, well maybe we can thank Rob's misdeeds for that result. What I'm saying is, TO should really thank Rob for being it's greatest mayor, ever, 110%.

There is no democracy without participation.

No city in this country has the tools; that's an artifact of 1867 intruding on current reality.
The fact is, cities have no power that a province hasn't specifically given them and Toronto is the most powerful city in the country. Oh, it's still not remotely as powerful as, say, Prince Edward Island, but relatively it's pretty good. If it wants, it can create its own planning appeal body and a politician with cojones can implement taxes that are illegal everywhere else.

But one of the key things Rob Ford exposed is how weak the oversight legislation is.
The conflict of interest legislation is provincial and it's up to a citizen to bring a complaint.
The campaign financing legislation? Ditto. It's not like there's some provincial or municipal auditor keeping an eye on this stuff.

It's indisputable Rob Ford broke the law showing up at polling stations but it doesn't matter. If there is any kind of comeuppance, it will be a long way down the road because this stuff is just not enforced.

If Toronto wants ranked ballots, that has to go through the province too.

I guess my overall point is that pretty much all these issues come down to deeply ingrained systemic issues because our country's constitution didn't imagine an urban future.

I agree, we need some independence, but that will never come with too strong a centralized government that comes with not just the BNA but continued with the CC of 1982. Urbanization needs to be accepted.

I disagree that we don't have the tools.

Last edited:
If she were offered $$ to quit, is that bribing an official? Why would anyone be stupid enough to do that given her minuscule support? If it's true, might that be a basis to disqualify Tory? Jeez, just when I thought the circus and drama was over!

Oddly, probably no. There is an interesting echo from 2003 and Tory and Nunziata*... and keep in mind who's buddies with Nunziata. The whole thing is pretty ripe off the bat coming from Fords point comms guy Worms, and you have to consider who has the most to potentially gain from this bullshit... Don't lose your extra hour over it.

*http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/tory-cleared-in-nunziata-bribery-allegations-1.408077

In a side note, Jian has taken over the Toronto/GTA section of The Sun... Wormy's twitter accusation shows the Fords displeasure it this fact. :D

Let's remember who were talking about: Karen, Warren and Joe. On Twitter. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

Most likely if true there would be a by-election or council would appoint a new mayor, and since they don't like Dougie... :)

But seriously, I agree with you, these three are conspicuously starved for attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back