News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

North Toronto hasn't really seen an increase in income in this time interval, I guess it's already gentrified, being the wealthiest part of the GTA, so it can't really go much higher.

Also, the NHS doesn't do a good job picking up the incomes of the very rich.

Speaking of nuclear plants and such...

Tumblr_inline_mtnteds5ff1qbxntw.png

Stay off the west side.

That's the plan for Pickering B. As far as I know, Pickering A1 and A4 will be going longer. Though in reality I'd be surprised if come 2025 there were no reactors running at Pickering! There's nothing to stop a future government deciding to rehab Pickering A2, A3, or Pickering B1 to B4.

Or perhaps this new Lockheed Martin fusion reactor will pay-off, and they'll stick one of those at Pickering ... who knows what the future holds!

no. I am close to Ontario's nuclear projects and know for a fact that all six remaining units will be retired by 2020/21 and none will be refurbished. It is public information and you may refer to Ontario long term energy plan.
Bruce units will be refurbished (6 of them) and darlington will be refurbished too, not Pickering, which are too old.

Yep. 'Cause nuclear folk and electrical engineers never change their minds.

Well, such decisions are not made by engineers but queens park.
More important the Pickering units are vastly less efficient than Bruce and Darlington, and they have been refurbished once. Further refurb is out of the question as it's not worth the investment- it's like you don't keep investing your 20 year old car.

Currently there is no plan to build new nuclear either and even if there are in the future, it will be at Darlington, not Pickering. Rest
assured.

Last edited:
Bruce units will be refurbished (6 of them) and darlington will be refurbished too, not Pickering, which are too old.
Bruce A is older than Pickering B. Pickering A1 and Pickering A4 have already been refurbished. Pickering B is to be placed in safe storage in around 2020 (Pickering A2 and Pickering A3 weren't refurbished and are already in safe storage). Pickering A2, A3, and B are not too old for refurbishment - it was simply considered too expensive. There's nothing stopping a future government from refurbishing them in the future.

I'm not aware of any shutdown dates for Pickering A1 and Pickering A4. Hopefully later than 2020, or what was the point of refurbishing them?

Last edited:
East Side may have some money, but it seems not to translate very well into vibrant urbanism overall. Perhaps nimby-ism comes into play? Perhaps age profiles do as well?

east end has less apartments, thats why. Its population is more dominated by home owners than the west end.

as for nuclear, I doubt that plays any role. The far east end (Durham) is less populated due to its worse highway access than the west end, not a nuclear plant.

Fusion reactors also cannot melt down like fission reactors, so if one ever does get built, it won't "influence" people like a fission reactor does. when they even become commercially viable is still up for debate as well, mid to late 2020's seems like the earliest possible time at this point.

Last edited:
the general areas I would say are the different parts of the city, to clear up the discussion of whether or not rosedale is "the east".

red = downtown
blue = west
yellow = east
green = north
outside of any circle = suburbs

ZstyQGz.jpg

Last edited:
denfromoakvillemilton or mods, it would be great if you can add a poll to the OP. This way, we can vote on the best side of Toronto (oh, and make names publicly viewable, so that we know who believes which side is the best at a quick glance).

Fusion reactors also cannot melt down like fission reactors, so if one ever does get built, it won't "influence" people like a fission reactor does. when they even become commercially viable is still up for debate as well, mid to late 2020's seems like the earliest possible time at this point.
Oh, there's always a bunch of nutjobs that would complain about anything. Heck, there were even some that complained about windmills far enough offshore that you wouldn't have any of the alleged noise issues of living near one.

Bruce A is older than Pickering B. Pickering A1 and Pickering A4 have already been refurbished. Pickering B is to be placed in safe storage in around 2020 (Pickering A2 and Pickering A3 weren't refurbished and are already in safe storage). Pickering A2, A3, and B are not too old for refurbishment - it was simply considered too expensive. There's nothing stopping a future government from refurbishing them in the future.

I'm not aware of any shutdown dates for Pickering A2 and Pickering A3. Hopefully later than 2020, or what was the point of refurbishing them?

Current end of life dates are 2019 for Pickering A1, A4, B3, and B4, and 2017 for B1 and B2. A 2 and A3 are already in safe storage as you mentioned and they will NOT be refurbished. I don't know what you mean "I'm not aware of any shutdown dates for P2 and P3". They were shut down several years ago.
The Pickering station is very inefficient, incurring considerably higher operating cost than other CANDU units and requiring much more expensive maintenance. For example, average generation cost is about $66/MWh for all Pickering units, compared with about $33 for Darlington and $41 for industry median according to a benchmark study conducted in 2012.

OPG is investing to refurbish the Darlington units, and Bruce is negotiating an agreement to refurbished the remaining 6 Bruce units. No one even proposed to refurbish the Pickering units. It is simply not on the table whatsoever. There is no such electricity demand, and it makes no economic sense either. If more nuclear energy is required (not in the near term), a new plant will be built at Darlington.

Pickering is safe as far as I know. I will be very surprise if that's not the case.

Last edited:

Back