News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really going to miss you guys - such sharp minds, and sharper tongues. Yes, I know, one must never put a comma before 'and', but it just seemed so right.

Actually, you should. It's called the Oxford Comma, and it improves clarity and context for reasons like this:

42359-Why-I-Still-Use-the-Oxford-Com-lw0R.jpeg

Attachments

• 42359-Why-I-Still-Use-the-Oxford-Com-lw0R.jpeg
    42359-Why-I-Still-Use-the-Oxford-Com-lw0R.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 825
Disappointing way for the Ford saga to end. I thought he'd be hauled out of the mayor's office in cuffs for playing a role in a murder plot or something else dramatic!

Disappointing way for the Ford saga to end. I thought he'd be hauled out of the mayor's office in cuffs for playing a role in a murder plot or something else dramatic!

I still feel there are people out there who won't come forward because they fear they themselves might be the murder victim. When the perps can take down the chief of police who is left to monitor these thugs?

Regarding the kidney failure discussion, what are the chances that something other than cancer is the fatal blow for Rob?

I still feel there are people out there who won't come forward because they fear they themselves might be the murder victim. When the perps can take down the chief of police who is left to monitor these thugs?

Ya, tough case for cops. Pretty much every potentially strong witness has refused to talk.

Regarding the kidney failure discussion, what are the chances that something other than cancer is the fatal blow for Rob?

Well, there is always the possibility of a major relapse as well, plus years of alcohol and/or drug abuse basically making him way more susceptible to complications with cancer/treatment.

Pretty sure he has, he said something about having a renewed contract the other day, Rob can keep 3 f/t staff* in his diminished capacity at City Hall. If I were guessing Dan (with a pay cut) and Amin would be the other two. You can't teach *that* kind of loyalty.

*I think they have a staff budget to do with how they like... 3 or 4 full timers and a couple of p/t or 1 or 2 f/t and a half dozen p/t, mix and match type of thing.

Councillor office budget for salaries is something like 225K ..... IIRC Ward 2 allocation has trditioally been an ExecAss't, 1 Constiuency Ass't and 1 Admin Ass't...however the number of people is flexible as long as the dollar figure is under the allocation. See the Councillor Handbook for all the in and outs.....
Part of the reason A Vaughan's Expenses were always at the top end is because he used excess Office Expense budget monies to pay for additional Constituency Assistants he felt were needed to know the retail of his Ward...

Last edited:
Ya, tough case for cops. Pretty much every potentially strong witness has refused to talk.

When they thanked the Somali community I nearly choked. Raises and overtime for frontline cops. Shiny 20's for Dixon project tenants? Its all so effing third world. Add in the incumbent hanging at the polls and I feel like I'm in a banana republic.

E.T.A.this thread may die but the disillusioned anger is ripe and real. If two police forces can't take down obvious criminals like Ford, Toronto best prepare for an influx of criminal types.

Last edited:
I'm really going to miss you guys - such sharp minds, and sharper tongues. Yes, I know, one must never put a comma before 'and', but it just seemed so right.

It's actually fine here since you're presumably using it to indicate a slight pause.

Actually, you should. It's called the Oxford Comma, and it improves clarity and context for reasons like this:

View attachment 36838

The problem with the Oxford comma (or serial comma) is that when there is no potential ambiguity and/or where the context is obvious, it just looks fussy. When you list items, the comma takes the place of 'and', so a comma followed by 'and' is arguably redundant.

On top of that, these amusing supposed ambiguities created by avoiding the Oxford comma are in fact either resolved by context or easily avoided by rearranging the sentence.

Unless the speaker is speaking before about 1953, there is no way JFK and Stalin could be invited to a party, as strippers or otherwise. Even so, rephrasing it so 'the strippers' is the second or third element makes it unambiguous.

Same with the famous example of 'my parents, Ayn Rand and God'.

Who might they be protecting?

And surely if the cops don't have enough on Rob (or they're backing down because he's not long for this world), can't they get Doug on something? It can't just be all COI and procedural stuff.

Who might they be protecting?

And surely if the cops don't have enough on Rob (or they're backing down because he's not long for this world), can't they get Doug on something? It can't just be all COI and procedural stuff.

Rob and his friends have been really smart in not saying a word to police. It helps that Ford is shameless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back