News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You should get out more. Milton sits at the foot of the beautiful Niagara Escarpment and has a lovely old small town centre. It is rapidly developing but remains surrounded by lovely country farms and roads!

I get out lots, thanks. 'Tis true I'm usually judging from the 401 or occasionally Trafalgar, but Milton gets zero credit for the Escarpment, IMO. That's Campbellville. The old town centre I'll take your word for.

Do forum members here believe that the Toronto 2015 pan am games could be a test run to bring the Olympics to Toronto in the future? Will the decision makers be watching Toronto closely to see how functional we are to put on major events?

Thanks

If so, I hope to God it's a total fiasco. (Not really, but still.)

Do forum members here believe that the Toronto 2015 pan am games could be a test run to bring the Olympics to Toronto in the future? Will the decision makers be watching Toronto closely to see how functional we are to put on major events?

Thanks

No, the Olympics are on a completely different and ludicrous scale. We couldn't even get the planned Scarborough LRT built in time for the Pan Am Games.
Let Russia, China and oil-rich oligarchies spend the $10+ billion to host. Unless Rogers runs out of things to buy and wants to bankroll the entire event as a Sportsnet exclusive LOL.

No, the Olympics are on a completely different and ludicrous scale. We couldn't even get the planned Scarborough LRT built in time for the Pan Am Games.
Let Russia, China and oil-rich oligarchies spend the $10+ billion to host. Unless Rogers runs out of things to buy and wants to bankroll the entire event as a Sportsnet exclusive LOL.

$10B would make them the cheapest summer olympics since 1994...so likely way more.

Rio will be interesting as they are the one city I can think of that had smaller games (Pan Ams) as a precursor to an Olympic bid/host situation. It should be noted, however, that Rio built Pan Am venues to Olympic size/standard in a big gamble that they would land the Olympics. Our venues for PanAms are not built to that scale/standard and, given how much criticism there is for the current level of spending, I doubt that we could have done that.

The recently completed Milton velodrome has been in the news lately, so out of curiosity I went on google maps to see where it's located. Turns out they put it in the middle of nowhere. I thought it was pretty lame that Vaughan chose to build it's new city hall at Major Mac & Keele rather than VMC, but this is suburban stupid taken to new heights. The number of people who will take transit to get there will be precisely zero. They couldn't even have it next to a highway interchange at least? Just brilliant.

16025841619_738b34604d_b.jpg

15592154203_54e99fd790_b.jpg

2011 Google Streetview

The recently completed Milton velodrome has been in the news lately, so out of curiosity I went on google maps to see where it's located. Turns out they put it in the middle of nowhere. I thought it was pretty lame that Vaughan chose to build it's new city hall at Major Mac & Keele rather than VMC, but this is suburban stupid taken to new heights. The number of people who will take transit to get there will be precisely zero. They couldn't even have it next to a highway interchange at least? Just brilliant.

No, no. All of Milton is gorgeous. Tewder said so. ;-)

Is velodrome bike racing a relatively popular thing? If not, I'm betting this is a hockey rink in ten years or so. Milton hockey parents will be clamoring for it.

The sole redeeming grace is that it is relatively cheap and efficient.

salsa:

It can't beat the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa.

RRR:

It might not be a bad idea to convert it into a local facility and give it to the municipality.

AoD

Last edited:
Build it and they will come?

Lots of cycling in the Milton area (one of my fav places to ride) -- whether that translates into indoor cycling will be interesting to see.

The sole redeeming grace is that it is relatively cheap and efficient.

salsa:

It can't beat the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa.

RRR:

It might not be a bad idea to convert it into a local facility and give it to the municipality.

AoD

I believe that:

a) it is designed as a multi sport facility with the floor inside the track set up to be used by other sports
b) "give it to the municipality" it is, I believe, owned by the town of Milton already...they put a bunch of money into its construction.

I believe that:

a) it is designed as a multi sport facility with the floor inside the track set up to be used by other sports
b) "give it to the municipality" it is, I believe, owned by the town of Milton already...they put a bunch of money into its construction.

Thanks for the clarification - that's definitely an efficient arrangement.

AoD

Back