After looking more closely at this, I can't even believe the developers proposed this.

The first proposal was beautiful, it had an incredible amount of potential. This is a completely different building for starters. It's always worse than everything in its immediate surroundings, I don't even get how that's possible.

I've never been a fan of NIMBYs but for once I hope they come out in full force. I'd rather nothing be here rather than this heap of trash.

The city needs to demand better than this, we should wait until something better comes along.

Ok, I'm done dinner now.............which btw, was a beautifully marbled pork-chop, breaded in yellow curry, garamasala, cumin, and cayanne; along with buttered Basmati Rice with Tandoori seasoning and chicken stock and flash-fried snow peas..........(just sayin)..........

So, I'm now ready to join the evisceration of this complete desecration of the site in question.

LOL

First off, before we get to the architectural design ethos..........important though that is......the site and building are laid out completely wrong............

Cut this BS out about a park...........it was a bad idea as a POPs, it's a worse idea as a park, and an extra 500ft2 makes not one iota of positive difference.

Go give cash-in-lieu to WT with City permission to start implementing the various foot bridges to stitch the existing and proposed waterfront parks together; don't waste my time and precious land on this nonsense.

Also WTF with the Harbour Streetscape...........no, on every level. Too narrow, and lose the car access. This is one of the more compelling sites for zero parking that exists; but if you need to provide for some form of car access or drop-off, it should be from a right-in, right-out (only) access off York, and onto Harbour.

The notion of a traffic crossing a critical, high-use bike path at that location is just terrible; made worse by peculiar shaping of the path for cyclists/walkers.

Now, let's talk about a building..............

We all knew from day one this site would be a serious challenge to do anything economical. Separation distances are a thing..........and holy hell is this site tight.

But this is just an example of wrong-headed thinking........

View attachment 373661

No, no and no..........

I realize it would mean fewer units..........but bump your ask per ft2, by moving the hallway to the southern limit of the building...........

Before you all make a face at me about how much space that cuts out..........
Note that separation distance is based, at least in part on the premise of not staring into someone else's apartment...........if the southern windows front onto a hallway........there might be a bit of wiggle room....to grow the footprint.......
But more importantly......from the developer's perspective, there's no money in units that stare into the buildings to the south............there just isn't..........the money is in strategic views north, east and west.........

Make the unit thin and long........like a Brad Lamb bowling alley, but with natural light.......LOL

It would pay off........

Also....subject to flight path rules, max out the height..........with the permission of the City.......pay cash-in-lieu......upper floor units, serviced by their own elevator core than can overlook the buildings to the south are worth gold.

Now.....let's talk design............the original idea was imperfect, but closer........
You know you're going to be expensive per ft2..........it's the nature of the site...

So go bold.

Don't try to attract the many at less per ft2, try to attract the few at the maxed out number.
It works, because you lighten construction costs with fewer walls, fewer windows, fewer fixtures, fewer risers/stacks........fewer elevators.
Obviously you need the real estate price to be right to make it work.........

But this is just going the wrong direction.

It's not a mass production site.

Bland is not the business.

Rare case where I don't care too much about the streetwall and retail, maybe because I consider this section of Harbour a lost cause......

I'm not saying do it wrong.........I am saying that's not the priority here.........do right by walkers/cyclists..........do right by curb appeal and view

Be bold; lose the park (and everyone knows I love a good park.........but not a leftover sliver of land)....

In the end, this is the rare case of Diamond consistently mis-stepping.

Not sure if it's a bad partner, bad advice, or a moment of developers (writers) block.........but take a breath, and rethink it all.
I wish you could be in charge of planning with a proper tool set to elevate project design. Someone said that lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.

New massing (blue):

Waterfront 4.png

Waterfront 3.png

From eastbound Gardiner:
Gardiner 1.png

From CN Tower observation deck:
CN_Tower.png

I can imagine sitting in that little park sipping my coffee, listening to the vehicles grind their gears as they inch along the Gardiner in morning rush hour. And that wonderful, evocative odour from up there on the Gardiner! I love the smell of petroleum products in the morning.

Last edited:
If they can only make the building round or oval to create more breathing space for the niebouring towers. Then climb up to 80 storeys that would be something, as seen in Koop's illustration up above.

Hahahahaha wow this new design is trash. I get going from two towers to one but this latest revision is bleak and depressing. Lifetime, baby, we need to chat!

From the Lifetimes website:

1641701010292.png

I think we might agree...........Time does not heal all wounds.

Btw...........you know what website did a very through interview w/the principal at Lifetime? .....

It's been just over 10 years..............

Maybe time for a follow up, LOL

Back