News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The province passed legislation forbidding the city from working on any of the 4 projects they were adding; with a clause making it very easy to add to that list. That's not Tory letting Ford whatever he wants. Tory and the city have little to do with it.

I'm not sure why the province would throw in money - the deal was the province deal with the 4 new projects, plus the Sheppard East subway, and the city dealt with Bloor-Yonge, the Waterfront LRT and Eglinton East lines.

As far as I know, the city also got federal funding for Bloor-Yonge. Did it get any provincial funding? Yes, funding for these would be great - but they've had as long as Metrolinx has had with their 4 projects, with much less to show for it.
I agree. Despite cancelling the Hamilton LRT and being blocked from desperately wanting to cancel the Finch LRT, the PC's have not been as anti-transit as we might have expected.
But I do not understand the view that the PC's are particularly pro-transit either. Let's see the Ontario line sped up a bit so that it doesn't fall so far behind the DRL timeline, and I might rethink my position.
Let's also see real ToD's around GO stations, i.e. malls, restaurants, commercial devs and apartments, and I'd be even more convinced.

Let's also see real ToD's around GO stations, i.e. malls, restaurants, commercial devs and apartments, and I'd be even more convinced.
A bunch of these are in the works on LSE and LSW. Granted, they're all condo farms, not genuine mixed use development. But there's no demand for commercial in most of those locations anyway and it's better than acres of parking.

But I do not understand the view that the PC's are particularly pro-transit either.
After watching Premier Miller cancel the RER-like services, followed by Peterson doing sweet F all, and Rae cutting GO service, and delaying any new transit for years, and Harris cutting transit funding province-wide while filling in the Eglinton West subway, and then McGuinty/Wynne with great plans (and even some progress), but delaying for years many projects ... it does make Ford and the current government pro-transit in comparison!

Much to my surprise. Who'd have known that (on this issue at least), Ford would be the red-Tory to follow in the footsteps of Davis and Robarts.

After watching Premier Miller cancel the RER-like services, followed by Peterson doing sweet F all, and Rae cutting GO service, and delaying any new transit for years, and Harris cutting transit funding province-wide while filling in the Eglinton West subway, and then McGuinty/Wynne with great plans (and even some progress), but delaying for years many projects ... it does make Ford and the current government pro-transit in comparison!

Much to my surprise. Who'd have known that (on this issue at least), Ford would be the red-Tory to follow in the footsteps of Davis and Robarts.

It's amazing how quickly a project can move when it's led from the top down by a vindictive autocratic leader. Ford threw away years of planning on the DRL line for ... reasons ... then magically came up with the OL line plan. Even if the OL line winds up being a great success I will still criticize Ford for going rouge here.

The same is happening in Hamilton

It's amazing how quickly a project can move when it's led from the top down by a vindictive autocratic leader. Ford threw away years of planning on the DRL line for ... reasons ... then magically came up with the OL line plan. Even if the OL line winds up being a great success I will still criticize Ford for going rouge here.

No idea when OL will open. Somehow I feel had the original DRL gone ahead as planned, it wouldn't reach the same length as OL (Eglinton to west of University) in the same timeframe.

I think it's for the best operationally regardless, and that there likely won't be a ton of through-trips past Kennedy anyway. Not a big deal, and should ensure that the Crosstown portion continues to run more reliably on it's core segment.
How can you say that? There are many ppl that live south of Scarborough that take the 86, 116, 905 express and the 12 kingston road. So ofcourse there's going to be through-trips past Kennedy.

Devastating updates on employee who passed away :( I for one support some sort of tribute or a way to recognize him passing up while in the line of duty. Metrolinx needs to do more and handle this matter better. Truly saddening.

Devastating updates on employee who passed away :( I for one support some sort of tribute or a way to recognize him passing up while in the line of duty. Metrolinx needs to do more and handle this matter better. Truly saddening.

IMO crosslinx should be the ones that need to do better. ML is more on the overall project management side of things. They have nothing to do with the police notification of next of kin nor do they deal with individual contractors.

Reactions: PL1
IMO crosslinx should be the ones that need to do better. ML is more on the overall project management side of things. They have nothing to do with the police notification of next of kin nor do they deal with individual contractors.
I am referring to coming out and offering their public condolences and that this will be reviewed in detail and as well how they will do something to recognize the individuals ultimate sacrifice in order to bring the LRT to life. Perhaps renaming a park close by, or concourse with his name or just something. Show some sympathy. Ultimately is up to Metrolinx in ensuring his sacrifice is not forgotten.

I am referring to coming out and offering their public condolences and that this will be reviewed in detail and as well how they will do something to recognize the individuals ultimate sacrifice in order to bring the LRT to life. Perhaps renaming a park close by, or concourse with his name or just something. Show some sympathy. Ultimately is up to Metrolinx in ensuring his sacrifice is not forgotten.
People come and go all the time. Perhaps they could've been more public with a condolence statement but to rename a public park or something of that sort for a simple accident is expecting too much imo. It'd be different story if he died a heroic death saving someone's life or something of that sort. Heck rob Ford still hasn't gotten anything need after him....

Agreed. A whole life/story was extinguished in the line of duty on this project. This is someone who worked a demanding job for modest pay to build something in the city that will be used by millions. I wish they would stop justifying inaction and just commemorate properly.

Agreed. A whole life/story was extinguished in the line of duty on this project. This is someone who worked a demanding job for modest pay to build something in the city that will be used by millions. I wish they would stop justifying inaction and just commemorate properly.
I like what the TTC did to commemorate the workers that died during the first Younge Subway extention in the 70s I think it was, correct me if I'm wrong.

A lot of people would still argue the OL is a massive improvement over the DRL. Either way, just because you don't agree with every action made, doesn't mean that you can't agree for someone to be a net positive. You don't need a perfect track record to be positively recognized.

Back