Yes. They will start off with 2 car trains. But all stations will be built to handle 3 car trains. (The trains are much larger than the current LRT trains to start as well)
View attachment 534066

The designs are not finalized yet, but they have new renderings every now and then you can find on their website. They are currently in the final design phase before major construction starts. Currently, just the downtown section is tunnelled (2km out of 18km, 3 stations underground)

Cool thanks. So a three car consist on the Green line will be much longer than a three or even four car consist of the current Red/Blue line LRV's.

I seem to remember the tunneled section downtown will be under 8th Ave? Or was that an old plan?

There are 4 UG stations (2 Ave, 7 Ave, Centre St, 4 Street). Platforms are now all 2-car. UG platforms are center, all at-grade platforms are side loading.

We're currently working on the 60% design for mainline and MSF. The development phase ends at 60%, and the decision to build Eau Claire to 16 Ave is based on the 60% estimate/pricing.
Thank you for this info. In regard to elevated stations like Inglewood and I think Highfield, will they be centre loading? I would feel like that would be the way to go for all off-grade stations…?

We're currently working on the 60% design for mainline and MSF. The development phase ends at 60%, and the decision to build Eau Claire to 16 Ave is based on the 60% estimate/pricing.
Can you expand on this? Do you mean that once the 60% design is complete, then we'll hear more about the Eau Claire -> 16 Ave section?

Can you expand on this? Do you mean that once the 60% design is complete, then we'll hear more about the Eau Claire -> 16 Ave section?
I think what they mean is that once the design of Sheppard to Eau Claire is 60% complete, they'll know how much they can build with the existing funding. The reality is with the major inflationary pressures of the last few years, the original funding probably won't be enough to reach 16th. Chances are they will need to go back to the government for more funding to fully build out what was originally planned.

Are you able to provide a time estimate of when the 60% design would be ready (without endangering your job)? Today's Green Line Board meeting indicated that the 30% design was only received in January, which seems disappointingly slow.

rrKfzBf.png

Are you able to provide a time estimate of when the 60% design would be ready (without endangering your job)? Today's Green Line Board meeting indicated that the 30% design was only received in January, which seems disappointingly slow.

rrKfzBf.png
If 60% means they move into the implementation phase it was already bumped to 16 months when they signed the agreement in April, so around the end of Q3 this year.

me excavated in the main cost driver - so I am assuming shallow stations, with

Length is not the only factor in capacity. The low floor LRVs have a lot less flexible interior layout as seen in Toronto, Kitchener, Edmonton etc. which slows down dwell times and leaves less room for standing. You need a longer low floor vehicle to match the capacity of a high floor vehicle.

Cool thanks. So a three car consist on the Green line will be much longer than a three or even four car consist of the current Red/Blue line LRV's.

I seem to remember the tunneled section downtown will be under 8th Ave? Or was that an old plan?

But, the line is as noted *not* being designed for three car sets. The downtown tunnel will make fixing this very hard long term.

Length is not the only factor in capacity. The low floor LRVs have a lot less flexible interior layout as seen in Toronto, Kitchener, Edmonton etc. which slows down dwell times and leaves less room for standing. You need a longer low floor vehicle to match the capacity of a high floor vehicle.
Low floor also have a very narrow walkway between the seats over the wheels. This causes people to stand near the doors, limiting capacity below the design capacity. In Toronto, you'll often see areas not by the doors be somewhat empty but the areas around the doors packed and no one can get on.

With the City asking for $166M from Alberta for the NC BRT that is now supposedly costing $500M (roughly enough for Green Line to go from 16th to 40th Avenue) and the Blue Line/People Mover to YYC now rising to the top of budget wishlists (at around $850-900M), it seems to me that they won't be able to cross the Bow and Green Line North is dead for this generation of transit spending.

Last edited:

Back