News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Does today's Phil Vester - Metrolinx CEO update count as the every 2 months update lol? Or should we still expect one soon?
I'd say so. Heck, any update is a good thing. The best thing I've seen since November, other than reopening Yonge and Eg to crossing on all sides, is the installation of street lights from Holly to Yonge street. It's actually kind of strange to see them there now.
That being said, the bottlenecks on Eglinton's north side (east of Yonge) are a remaining sore spot, especially during rush hour. It's better than before, since it's only two or three bottlenecks now, but still.

so... they only have 55% of their sign offs and 13% increase in integration in 2 months... that means itll be another YEAR from now for 100% integration unless the pace quickens near the end.
no wonder verster is too spineless to give any meaningful progress statement or estimate. seriously wth are they working on that needs another year of work after theve had 3 additional year....

no wonder canada is one of the worst in productivity.
the pace will increase once the weather gets warmer and they make do the track adjustments that they need to make so that the track gauge along the whole length is within nominal limits. they can't do that during the winter. that also means they can't do full system integration testing either until then since they are speed limited on the above ground section. The signal system integration with the train control system is such a huge chunk of the system integration testing that once they iron out the wrinkles in it that alone will be at least a 30% progress increase since that chunk can only be counted as complete once all the tests pass.

lso, the at-grade section is at the whim of local traffic and one accident brings the entire line to a screeching halt.

This is a serious concern of mine. Footage of the testing shows just how easy it will be for a distracted driver to ram into the side of the LRT. Think Queen's Quay but 10x worse.

I'm really hoping the at-grade stretch of the line will be as quick as the underground portion. But I'm concerned about how many stops there are on the at-grade stretch. From Victoria Park Ave to Ionview Rd. there are 5 stops along a less than 3km stretch. Not to mention all the red lights the LRV's will encounter. Seems like the LRV's are being setup to behave much like the downtown streetcars.

When I was in Calgary last month, I was surprised at how fast the C-trains traveled. Not slowing down or stopping at intersections. Stations spaced further apart with city buses filling the gaps. The trains moved so fast even out pacing the cars on the road. The whole network seemed to behave like an at-grade subway.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping the at-grade stretch of the line will be as quick as the underground portion. But I'm concerned about how many stops there are on the at-grade stretch. From Victoria Park Ave to Ionview Rd. there are 5 stops along a less than 3km stretch. Not to mention all the red lights the LRV's will encounter. Seems like the LRV's are being setup to behave much like the downtown streetcars.

When I was in Calgary last month, I was surprised out how fast the C-trains traveled. Not slowing down or stopping at intersections. Stations spaced further apart with city buses filling the gaps. The trains moved so fast even out pacing the cars on the road. The whole network seemed to behave like an at-grade subway.
A bit late to the game are we? Get used to it. Ttc will not allow for lrt signal priority

But I'm concerned about how many stops there are on the at-grade stretch. From Victoria Park Ave to Ionview Rd. there are 5 stops along a less than 3km stretch.
Well, let's see.

Victoria Park and Pharmacy are both major concession roads, so skipping them would be dumb.

Pharmacy to Hakimi Lebovic is about 500 m, which is not dissimilar to the stop spacing on the successful Bloor-Danforth subway.

Warden is a major concession road, so skipping it would be dumb.

Birchmount is a major concession road, so skipping it would be dumb. Furthermore, the distance between Warden and Birchmount is 850 m.

Birchmount to Ionview is 550 m, which is not dissimilar to the stop spacing on the successful Bloor-Danforth subway.
So... which stop, exactly, would you cut?

Not to mention all the red lights the LRV's will encounter.
This is the problem, not the stop spacing.

eems like the LRV's are being setup to behave much like the downtown streetcars.
The downtown streetcars have stops MUCH closer than the Crosstown.

A bit late to the game are we? Get used to it. Ttc will not allow for lrt signal priority
It would be helpful to lay the blame at the feet of the correct entity, which is the city. Why would the TTC be the one to not allow for signal priority? Why would they intentionally handicap their system? It makes no sense.

Well, let's see.

Victoria Park and Pharmacy are both major concession roads, so skipping them would be dumb.

Pharmacy to Hakimi Lebovic is about 500 m, which is not dissimilar to the stop spacing on the successful Bloor-Danforth subway.

Warden is a major concession road, so skipping it would be dumb.

Birchmount is a major concession road, so skipping it would be dumb. Furthermore, the distance between Warden and Birchmount is 850 m.

Birchmount to Ionview is 550 m, which is not dissimilar to the stop spacing on the successful Bloor-Danforth subway.
So... which stop, exactly, would you cut?
Some of these can easily be served by a city bus and transfer to the LRT further down the line.

Someone can make a case for why the LRT should stop at every intersection. Doesn't mean we should.

EDIT: I would knock down Pharmacy, Hakimi and Ionview.

Victoria Park and Birchmount being at opposite ends of the golden mile with warden serving the middle. Buses can fill the gaps in between.

Last edited:
It would be helpful to lay the blame at the feet of the correct entity, which is the city. Why would the TTC be the one to not allow for signal priority? Why would they intentionally handicap their system? It makes no sense.
Had TTC been adamant on signaling priority they would've made a huge public fuss about it and it would've made torstar headlines that the city/ML is actively handicapping the line against TTCs wishes. Alas it's been silent, proving that TTC doesn't give a damn about it, or at least enough to stand their ground.

Don't forget this is the same ttc that ordered new street cars with trolley poles even though the whole system is converted to panto. They aren't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer

I do not think, in this era of inflation and general purse tightening, that running a parallel bus is a good idea. And how frequently would you run this bus? Is this going to become a 97 Yonge situation, where those not fortunate enough to live within walking distance of a station have to wait 15-30 minutes for a bus, while the subway rumbles past every 2 minutes not 6 feet below them?

Back