Some movement here. Approval of an HEA and demo recommended at the next TPB: https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2024.PB15.10

backgroundfile-2433351.jpg

backgroundfile-243335.jpg

backgroundfile-2433325.jpg

Lots of interesting elements for this cordyceps now they cleaned up some of more janky elements...

...so it's less offensive if they're planning or doing it anyway, I guess.

Has this one become taller by 2 floors? 62 now instead of 60? The elevation has it almost as tall as 53-55 Yonge.

This is one that really doesn't need to happen, and shouldn't happen, most unfortunate.

Well yes, at the rate we're going there won't be a single intact heritage building of this quality left in the city. There will only be photographs showing what they looked like. Preserving an exterior wall isn't preservation. 90% of this building will end up at the city dump. Maybe they'll see the wisdom of preserving the Ontario Legislature? It's prime real estate though.

When the Concourse Building was demolished it became clear Toronto was fighting a losing battle. If they'll destroy that, nothing is safe. I threw in the towel after that building was lost.

Last edited:
This does not strike me as a viable development proposal. The floorplate of the upper volume is something around 350 square metres. Hopefully just a value-add exercise...

Well yes, at the rate we're going there won't be a single intact heritage building of this quality left in the city. There will only be photographs showing what they looked like. Preserving an exterior wall isn't preservation. 90% of this building will end up at the city dump. Maybe they'll see the wisdom of preserving the Ontario Legislature? It's prime real estate though.

When the Concourse Building was demolished it became clear Toronto was fighting a losing battle. If they'll destroy that, nothing is safe. I threw in the towel after that building was lost.
I'm with you. This proposal is asinine and proves that heritage preservation is a joke in this city. 49 Yonge is an outstanding example of, and one of the very few Second Empire buildings we have left intact and now it's one step closer to becoming a 2-sided shell. And any arguments of "providing housing" are bullshit because this will likely be an expensive investor box that will do nothing to address affordability.

I should edit to add, I don't mean to undermine the people who truly care and work towards achieving the balance of housing/development needs and heritage, but there are instances like this where I wish the City had more teeth and could designate certain buildings off-limits. It's disheartening that we can't even save a handful of our finest examples from redevelopment.

Last edited:

Back