Toronto Model 03-15-24 49 Yonge.png

I'm with you. This proposal is asinine and proves that heritage preservation is a joke in this city. 49 Yonge is an outstanding example of, and one of the very few Second Empire buildings we have left intact and now it's one step closer to becoming a 2-sided shell. And any arguments of "providing housing" are bullshit because this will likely be an expensive investor box that will do nothing to address affordability.

I should edit to add, I don't mean to undermine the people who truly care and work towards achieving the balance of housing/development needs and heritage, but there are instances like this where I wish the City had more teeth and could designate certain buildings off-limits. It's disheartening that we can't even save a handful of our finest examples from redevelopment.
One has to wonder how Heritage Toronto decides what's worth preserving and what can be butchered? Allowing 49 Yonge to be facaded and refusing a similar proposal at 372-378 Yonge St.

From an article on BlogTo re: 372-378 Yonge St. - In a refusal report dated March 7, the City's Acting Senior Manager of Heritage Planning, Urban Design and City Planning recommends that City Council refuse the application, claiming that the current plan would be detrimental to the protected heritage buildings on site.

How about preserving all four hertiage buildings in their whole,

One has to wonder how Heritage Toronto decides what's worth preserving and what can be butchered? Allowing 49 Yonge to be facaded and refusing a similar proposal at 372-378 Yonge St.

From an article on BlogTo re: 372-378 Yonge St. - In a refusal report dated March 7, the City's Acting Senior Manager of Heritage Planning, Urban Design and City Planning recommends that City Council refuse the application, claiming that the current plan would be detrimental to the protected heritage buildings on site.

How about preserving all four hertiage buildings in their whole,
Agreed, I wonder the same thing. 49-51 Yonge is in a whole different ballpark and yet here we are.

Back