Famous Japanese artist Takashi Murakami is providing artwork for the building. Flowers, flowers, flowers is one of his most well known pieces

Flowers flowers flowers.jpg

TM.jpg

So, there was an event here on Saturday, March 2 to launch the development. I gots ta say... the model looks good. If the lighting works as well on the building as it does on the model (it's only a model!), then this is a major boon for this corner.

First off, the former Crocodile Rock building is now unrocognizable…

View attachment 545445

…while inside it's clubland:

View attachment 545436View attachment 545437View attachment 545438
View attachment 545442

That's a side shot of the artist Takashi Murakami above, wearing a flower hat. I have some pics with him face-on from the evening, but the lighting was terrible, 98% of it coming from the model behind us, so, I'm not posting one of those.

View attachment 545439View attachment 545440View attachment 545441View attachment 545443View attachment 545444

The lighting does look very promising on the model.

Even if the lighting becomes a reality, Toronto condos have a poor track record of maintaining accent lighting. Look at Aura and that building in the financial district that appeared like giant USB ports when the lighting was on (I believe at least some if not all of them have been turned off). Within 6 months to a year, parts of the lights will have burnt out, and whoever's in charge obviously doesn't want to spend money replacing them. Hopefully, it's different for a high-end development such as this, but I'm skeptical ...

Even if the lighting becomes a reality, Toronto condos have a poor track record of maintaining accent lighting. Look at Aura and that building in the financial district that appeared like giant USB ports when the lighting was on (I believe at least some if not all of them have been turned off). Within 6 months to a year, parts of the lights will have burnt out, and whoever's in charge obviously doesn't want to spend money replacing them. Hopefully, it's different for a high-end development such as this, but I'm skeptical ...
It being a hotel (partial commercial use) does give an opportunity to buck the trend you're describing. As well, Aura was a bit of a market maker as a project, nothing like it had ever been built in Toronto when it went up. Since then, the price PSF (and maintenance fees) have risen to the point where this sort of accent lighting might be more feasible.

It being a hotel (partial commercial use) does give an opportunity to buck the trend you're describing. As well, Aura was a bit of a market maker as a project, nothing like it had ever been built in Toronto when it went up. Since then, the price PSF (and maintenance fees) have risen to the point where this sort of accent lighting might be more feasible.
CityPlace has also successfully maintained all of its lighting features - however those were secured as public art and all of the condo boards are required to maintain them. The artist already got into a squabble with Harbourview Estates when they started keeping the lights off to save money.

The building itself looks very sharp , but I dont think it'd be a smart decision as a principle residence or investment (it's very questionable if there is demand to rent a $3200/month 1 bedroom drywall box)

I think psf and for the quality of what you're getting, you'd even get more bang for your buck at Shangri-La than here.

The renders Ive seen of suites thus far look very standard/mid market condo. "european style" kitchenettes along one wall with small refrigerators and induction stoves.

Plus condo fees will be high with the hotel component, Likely wont be much less than a place like Shangri-La.

Shangri-La or even somthing like Craft condos in the Junction would be a better investment if your in the market for something high end.

...it's interesting how Murakami-san is using pride colours for that one flower.

Back