Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
So is the inverted bowl design back in play?
download.jpg
download (1).jpg

The design spec, for everyone's benefit...

It's been around for atleast a decade, and nobody has bit on it. While it saves space from a construction standpoint, it really is a horrible fan/arena operation design. You can't properly program that many levels with F&B/cooking/bathrooms/ect, fans are displaced from other fans which hurts atmosphere, there can be no hanging scoreboard because it impacts line of sight, and you're forcing fans to look straight down through glass which is a very bizarre vantage point for a concert, and highly subjective for a sports fan. It works for a club/loge bridge for 400 people...not for general capacity in the 3000 range

Im also not convinced it saves THAT much money, what with the cost to cantilever those levels

Last edited:
You can see how Little Ceasars is getting close to that concept without going inverted. I think with the larger footprint, there is less need for compromises. With a larger footprint, it is easy to place items more optimally, like all the utility/backup equipment. It is sad really, a bit more flexibility on the original deal land wise, and we'd be close to done. That being said, I heard the land side of the current deal was sprung somewhat unexpectedly on the Stampede.

1711471066822.png1711471103516.png

They are no longer entertaining the inverted bowl design, but the concourses are much bigger than what we saw in the old proposal. I am very optimistic this time around. The budget is where it needs to be to deliver something suitable.
That's good to hear, it's making me feel better about the much higher cost of this proposal. I'd rather we do it right than end up with a mediocre or even substandard facility.

You can see how Little Ceasars is getting close to that concept without going inverted. I think with the larger footprint, there is less need for compromises. With a larger footprint, it is easy to place items more optimally, like all the utility/backup equipment. It is sad really, a bit more flexibility on the original deal land wise, and we'd be close to done. That being said, I heard the land side of the current deal was sprung somewhat unexpectedly on the Stampede.

View attachment 551298View attachment 551299
It really is a beautiful arena design. Intimate, has a sense of place, large lower bowl, suite level, stacked 2 layer upper bowl (Everything that soulless, expansive thing in edmonton isnt). It's a tad big on the capacity at 19,500, i would remove the upper bowl end seats and put in a large bar with standing room spaces

Reactions: Urb
the new arena will be very similar to little caesars, but im starting to get impatient one when they will show the renders publicly. Even the coyotes have renders for an arena on land they haven't even bought yet lo

the new arena will be very similar to little caesars, but im starting to get impatient one when they will show the renders publicly. Even the coyotes have renders for an arena on land they haven't even bought yet lo
those are conceptual designs, huge difference. Construction wont start until fall, permitting in Summer, we may see something May/June...rmbr they're basically starting from scratch

I just want a cohesive exterior building design. One building, one concept.

Not a warehouse with three different boring facade ideas slapped up on the outside four faces.

I should know what it is no matter which direction I’m approaching from, and I should get the sense that it was $800M to build it.

I’ll sit in any seat, in any arena, and watch the Flames and be content but if I had to walk up to that previous design, I’d seriously be put in a bad mood well before the team had taken a loss against the Oilers.

This post was written with the perspective that my needs are the only that matter here.

So with regard to rumoured similarities with Little Caesars, I wonder does that include the "deconstructed" layout? I hope so...

those are conceptual designs, huge difference. Construction wont start until fall, permitting in Summer, we may see something May/June...rmbr they're basically starting from scratch
Even the 2019 edition of the building had concept art released the same year the paperwork was signed. I know they looked nothing like the final design (unfortunately), but hey, it was something satiate our desires.
1575575258-2019-new-calgary-arena-2.jpg--resize--w__1400--h__2500--q__70.jpg_1711487186877.jpg
new-arena-2.jpg
BeFunky-collage-2021-08-25T140000.961.jpg
calgary-arena-event-centre-rendering.jpg

Back