Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
So with regard to rumoured similarities with Little Caesars, I wonder does that include the "deconstructed" layout? I hope so...
they attempted to ape that on the west side of the old design as best they could given how pushed up the arena was to the edges of the site, so hopefully a more fulsome expression of that is possible.

Even the 2019 edition of the building had concept art released the same year the paperwork was signed. I know they looked nothing like the final design (unfortunately), but hey, it was something satiate our desires.
I believe those concepts were for a much smaller capacity arena. You can also see the project overflowing across the street on the last photo, for utilities and loading dock access from a cut off street. Over time, either the flexibility in the site that was expected didn't happen, or the brief changed. I think this is where Jeff Davison (and Council) failed to recognize the compromises they were introducing when they added constraints (much closer to the same seating capacity, constrained to the land the city had already secured). When constrained, it pushed the arena up vertically, and they also needed to find space for more parking and relocated utilities, adding more dead walls.

You can see how Little Ceasars is getting close to that concept without going inverted. I think with the larger footprint, there is less need for compromises. With a larger footprint, it is easy to place items more optimally, like all the utility/backup equipment. It is sad really, a bit more flexibility on the original deal land wise, and we'd be close to done. That being said, I heard the land side of the current deal was sprung somewhat unexpectedly on the Stampede.

View attachment 551298View attachment 551299
I remember the old Chicago Stadium was pretty close to the inverted bowl also. Super steep in the upper seats. The steepest ever were the seats at each end of Maple Leaf Gardens. You felt like if you tripped you would fall all the way down to the ice lol.

IMG_0631.jpeg

I remember the old Chicago Stadium was pretty close to the inverted bowl also. Super steep in the upper seats. The steepest ever were the seats at each end of Maple Leaf Gardens. You felt like if you tripped you would fall all the way down to the ice lol.

View attachment 551416.
My gut tells me you would never be able to produce an upper bowl that steep to code anymore, mostly bc of the steps.

The primary difference with the inverted, isnt so much that its steep, but that you’re actually further forward the higher you go up, so you are LITERALLY more overhead. Full on cantilevered over the level beneath you. Does not suprise me its never been done. I dont thinks fans want it, and arena operators would hate it.

Last edited:
I decided to try putting the seating bowl from the last design on top of the excavation and shoring document. I lined up the rinks shown in each and then rotated the 2021 design so the parkades are on the same end. The 2021 design is at 50% opacity.

2021-2024_comparison.png

No idea when they'll show up.
Maybe in June-July around Stampede time so they can start digging the hole right after Stampede? And then by the time the foundation is set and the hole has been fully dug the design will have passed the DP stage?
That's my guess anyway.

"Guild program director Terry Golbeck said he received an email from a city official expressing interest in having wood art incorporated into the event centre to immortalize the tree.
“It could raise awareness of the urban forest and the value of it.” But Golbeck said he had never heard anything further from the city and that the elm’s destruction took him by surprise.

The mad scramble to spend the required "public art dollars" 😂. I know i'm the resident "stampede tree hater"...but man oh man, the coverage this single tree has gotten is WILD

I actually think wood art would have been the perfect way to use the tree. 3d scanning and even a plaque is pointless to me. Seeing the actual wood would be great, and would give the artist some inspiration, making it less likely we end up with another pile of trash like Bowfort Towers.

I actually think wood art would have been the perfect way to use the tree. 3d scanning and even a plaque is pointless to me. Seeing the actual wood would be great, and would give the artist some inspiration, making it less likely we end up with another pile of trash like Bowfort Towers.
I have far less concern about the public art aspects in an arena, where you have no shortage of spaces and types of applications to use it. Could we honor the tree with a wood art thing, sure...but this falls into the infamous category of "needing a plaque to tell the story" art.

Elms are so much nicer though. I hope they do that. It’ll obviously take the seedlings years to mature to that point, but it would be great to have them in the next round of replanting, wherever that may be in the inner city.

Last edited:

Back