News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

If the strategy was to help people move out of encampments and into housing, it could be described as putting people first. But the strategy appears to be "enhanced supports for people living [in?] encampments", which is an extremely band-aid approach to the problem. Sometimes a band-aid is necessary, but that shouldn't be your strategy.
Exactly. Contributing to the viability of encampments does nothing. Instead we should be treating each encampment person as an individual case, with a city worker assigned to find that specific person housing. And if the housing doesn't exist, make it so.

And if we are in such a dire situation that we are going to actively support people to live in tents on public land, it shouldn't be in Trinity Bellwoods, St. James, Dufferin Grove, etc.

Of course, designating a park as a specific location for permanent encampments comes with its own set of problems. The Toronto shelter strategy should not be to enhance supports for people living in encampments.

And if we are in such a dire situation that we are going to actively support people to live in tents on public land, it shouldn't be in Trinity Bellwoods, St. James, Dufferin Grove, etc.

Of course, designating a park as a specific location for permanent encampments comes with its own set of problems. The Toronto shelter strategy should not be to enhance supports for people living in encampments.
We need to treat homelessness like how we react to natural disasters, like these pop-up houses after the Maui fire disaster. If we're assuming that encampments are semi-permanent, then we might as well make them livable and safe, but not in parks.

Last edited:
How is no strategy to regain our parks from occupation a strategy?

“This report marks a shift away from enforcement and another step toward putting people first.
– Gord Tanner, General Manager, Toronto Shelter and Support Services

The residents of this city who want to enjoy their parks are people too, Gord.
It's putting people first, excepting the people who are the majority that would like to be able to use parks for the intended recreational, non-residential use.

It's putting people first, excepting the people who are the majority that would like to be able to use parks for the intended recreational, non-residential use.

Damnit.

Put LRADs in the parks, on full with Yoko Ono on repeat.

The locals will leave without force.

If the strategy was to help people move out of encampments and into housing, it could be described as putting people first. But the strategy appears to be "enhanced supports for people living [in?] encampments", which is an extremely band-aid approach to the problem. Sometimes a band-aid is necessary, but that shouldn't be your strategy.
It's essentially an admission that the city has completely given up on trying to tackle the issue.

Marcus Gee with a column in the Globe on how Toronto is messing up 'the little things'.

From the above:

1716729839958.png

Those complaints are:

1) Dundas Station, both appearance and being cramped and says Gee confusing.

2) Cheesy Planters refers to Nathan Phllips Square, where there is also unmowed grass, and empty concrete planters in poor condition.

3) The ad wrap refers to one on a Dundas streetcar that Gee was on.

He also, rightly, took issue w/the horrible garbage cans in parks.

Gee has great eyesight if they can see the Churchill statue and the grass around it from his streetcar ride on Dundas.

I can't say I understand the kvetching about ad wraps. They break up the visual monotony of the city, they help financially support the cash strapped transit system, and sometimes, they're even adorable.

1716735068015.jpeg

But then, I'm not a believer in standardized visual identities, so the thought of a TTC vehicle not wearing TTC colours does not keep me up at night. What does irritate me is this new trend that's cropped up over the last year of plopping the ad wrap on the bottom part of the vehicle, blocking the view through the windows as well as looking incredibly half assed.

1716735188237.png

I can't say I understand the kvetching about ad wraps. They break up the visual monotony of the city, they help financially support the cash strapped transit system, and sometimes, they're even adorable.

View attachment 566800

But then, I'm not a believer in standardized visual identities, so the thought of a TTC vehicle not wearing TTC colours does not keep me up at night. What does irritate me is this new trend that's cropped up over the last year of plopping the ad wrap on the bottom part of the vehicle, blocking the view through the windows as well as looking incredibly half assed.

View attachment 566801
Agree completely about wrap blocking views from inside transit vehicles. Just WRONG!!!

Agree completely about wrap blocking views from inside transit vehicles. Just WRONG!!!
Are the wraps over the windows solid? There was a time when they were made up of dots so that they looked fine from the outside but from the inside you could still see out. I haven't noticed any issue looking out from the inside but I walk more than I take transit most days so I have not been checking.

Are the wraps over the windows solid? There was a time when they were made up of dots so that they looked fine from the outside but from the inside you could still see out. I haven't noticed any issue looking out from the inside but I walk more than I take transit most days so I have not been checking.
They are not solid but you really can't see properly. The TTC ones are better than the ones that Niagara Falls had a couple of years ago when they had buses (mainly for tourists) which were almost solid wrap!

Marcus Gee with a column in the Globe on how Toronto is messing up 'the little things'.

From the above:

View attachment 566796

Those complaints are:

1) Dundas Station, both appearance and being cramped and says Gee confusing.

2) Cheesy Planters refers to Nathan Phllips Square, where there is also unmowed grass, and empty concrete planters in poor condition.

3) The ad wrap refers to one on a Dundas streetcar that Gee was on.

He also, rightly, took issue w/the horrible garbage cans in parks.
I don't have access to view the article, I find that list is a bit lackluster. There are much better small things that apply city wide that I think could be investigated, off the top of my head:

overfilled garbage
increases in graffiti
litter along highways
Patchwork solutions (e.g. Paving sections where tile existed)/sidewalk
General upkeep and appearance of city owned property/lack of pride in ownership
Wayfinding
Consistant signage

The best parks have pay walls, like the Toronto Islands or the Zoo. You're not getting into the Toronto Islands park unless you're paying for the ferry. That's the damage a fixed link would do, as we'd soon have encampments.

The best parks have pay walls, like the Toronto Islands or the Zoo. You're not getting into the Toronto Islands park unless you're paying for the ferry. That's the damage a fixed link would do, as we'd soon have encampments.
uuuh High park? Don valley park? riverdale? coronation? soon to be portlands?

I dont get this "downtown has no park space" like it has so many parks

Back