News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

under "Accepted Items for Drop-Off & Pickup"
https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/recycling-organics-garbage/community-environment-days/

I have an old desk-top computer and a bunch of other smaller items on their list that I was going to carry there in a large canvas bag, but I guess not if they refuse to allow you to go to a Community Environment Day unless you are driving a motor vehicle.

The car requirement is only for the events held at the Transfer Stations. Most of which have the drop-off locations well into facilities that have large truck traffic.

The events in the community do not require you to arrive in a car. (those are the vast majority of Environment day events)

As someone whose had conversations with senior management at one bank, I can tell you the CEO is keen on 5-days per week in office.

But 3 days was a bit of a fight, and some other banks were less pushy, and there was concern of some people leaving for the competition if they didn't impose more days as a group.

I expect 4 days will be imposed again on most staff, but not before September at the earliest, and more likely January '25. But its never a done deal til its past tense.
Definitely. Companies are boiling the frog and all ratcheting up RTO with the ultimate goal of 100% full-time office attendance. They just don't want to front-run and be too out of step with competitors. I guess a consequence of our cozy oligopoly in many sectors leading to monopsony on talent.

Definitely. Companies are boiling the frog and all ratcheting up RTO with the ultimate goal of 100% full-time office attendance. They just don't want to front-run and be too out of step with competitors. I guess a consequence of our cozy oligopoly in many sectors leading to monopsony on talent.

I agree, 100%, the laugh is my enjoyment of your wording.

You are a rare breed that can pull off monopsony in a sentence correctly! Made me smile.

My main grumble is that companies in the mean-time have implemented hot desking and wide open plan offices with much higher workspace density which could only be justified during the period of hybrid work. There will be a riot (I will bring my pitchfork) if they expect full-time office attendance with the severe degradation of the office experience entailed in hot desking. To say nothing of the insanity of expecting knowledge workers to be productive in a high distraction, noisy office environment that is designed to make focus work near-impossible.

My main grumble is that companies in the mean-time have implemented hot desking and wide open plan offices with much higher workspace density which could only be justified during the period of hybrid work. There will be a riot (I will bring my pitchfork) if they expect full-time office attendance with the severe degradation of the office experience entailed in hot desking. To say nothing of the insanity of expecting knowledge workers to be productive in a high distraction, noisy office environment that is designed to make focus work near-impossible.

My employer said they will provide full and dedicated desk space if you commit to coming in four days a week. We currently have a two day a week mandate with hot desks.

I suspect that tech will gravitate to hybrid (3 fixed days) for 70% of total employed base, 20% fully remote, 10% (if not lower) fully in person.

Nuts to think that NYC isn't on that list!

It is on the expanded version of the list and would be considered highly unaffordable. But it does read as more affordable than Toronto.

For clarity here, this is median housing price divided by median income.

Expanded List:

From the above:

1718387775729.png

From most affordable to least affordable:

1718387869409.png

You asked about NYC.

NYC is not tracked as market, NY-NJ_PA is tracked, which explains the higher affordability number I'll give you below, they included Newark almost to Philly.

NY area is 7.0 on their scale. vs Toronto at 9.3, Vancouver at 12.3, and HK at 16.7

Reactions: T3G
Following Councillor Jaye Robinson's passing last month, there will be a by-election, likely in the fall, for the vacant Don Valley West seat.

One potential candidate I've heard from my city hall source is Mark Saunders, the former Toronto police chief/2023 mayoral candidate/2022 PC candidate for Don Valley West.

Another example of the foolishness of not dealing with SOGR and replacement issues (See also Ship Channel Bridge and TTC and Gardiner!)

From: https://www.cp24.com/news/expect-long-wait-times-two-toronto-island-ferries-out-of-service-1.6927507

'Expect long wait times': Two Toronto Island ferries out of service​

Those visiting the Toronto Islands this weekend could see longer wait times when returning to the city as two of the five ferry boats will be out of service.

The city says the Thomas Rennie, which has a capacity of 915 passengers, and The Trillium, an 815-passenger heritage ferry that only operates in certain weather conditions, are undergoing repairs and aren’t anticipated to be back in service for a couple of weeks.

The other three ferries, Ongiaria, Sam McBride and William Inglis, are expected to operate at full capacity this weekend, the city says.

The Sam McBride has a capacity of 915 passengers, while the Ongiara and William Inglis can carry 389 and 220 passengers, respectively.

On the city’s ferry website, a service alert is posted warning the public to “expect long wait times” returning from the island.

“For a less busy experience, consider travelling back to the city before 4 p.m., using a water taxi, or choosing another time to visit Toronto Island,” the alert read.

The city says it is expecting a busy weekend on the island with the weather as well as the annual Dragon Boat Festival being held on Centre Island.

The boat schedule has been adjusted to increase the frequency of trips to the busiest island dock after 6 p.m. to help get visitors back to the mainland as quickly as possible, the city says.

The ferries operate out of Jack Layton Terminal and carry hundreds of passengers to and from Wards Island, Centre Island and Hanlan’s Point.

The city advises anyone visiting the island to be patient, plan to travel during non-peak hours (e.g., catching a ferry before 10 a.m. and returning to the mainland before 4 p.m.), and buy tickets online.

Marcus Gee with a column up in the Globe lamenting the state of Toronto's public spaces, but really focusing on Clarence Square Park.

The encampment is an obvious issue which he raises, but he also raises general maintenance issues and expresses his objections to the dog's off-leash area......which he observes throws off the symmetry of the park design. (he's not wrong).

There are indeed issues w/this park; the encampment here has been previously discussed so I'll leave that to one side in favour of nothing that the actual design of the last facelift was poor, from bad lighting, poor path alignment, to the dog area, both good design and historicity were thrown aside here.

.As with so many columns, its shortcoming is in not identifying any politician or staffer to hold to account for the past, the present or the future of the space and a lack of clear direction on what's needed.

As an example, is there another space nearby the DOLA can be moved to?

Back