News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

From a former Syrian refugee who moved from Vancouver

1713214005656.png

Anyone else "flip" channels randomly if the Oilers look like they might get scored upon? I do, anyway, last night I haphazardly put the tv - no cable box - so I can't see what the programming is - in camp; put it on "The Price is Right." They were offering a trip to "The Canadian Rockies," via a flight to "Edmonton, Canada," followed by a week stay at the "Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge," prize and package worth, "$21,000 US."

Maybe this is a dumb take, but I've always thought that Edmonton should try and develop a sort of reverse snowbird tourism strategy. Our summers -- if there's no smoke -- are super nice and the city is affordable relative to major cities, and I'm sure there are lots of people in the sunbelt that would love to escape the month long daytime highs of +45 and night time lows of +35.

Regardless of the origin of the slogan, I think many people interpret it as weirdly boastful or out of touch. It's not a good slogan imo.

If we're going to have a slogan, it should be something more geographical and relatively unique like "Canada's Gateway to the North" or something to that effect. But what do I know I ain't in marketing.

Who said the definition of insanity was repeating the same thing and expecting different results? Any self respecting city should not base its image on having a winning sports team for a while.

The slogan in the past was both disliked and derided elsewhere. It comes across as boastful and shallow. So if there is such a thing as negative PR, this would be it.

I loved it and still do refer to the city as such.

It's not just about winning in sport, but in business, life and being a defender of what's right, good and noble.

Champion

Perhaps, but yet it only seems to pop up when local sports teams are winning and it becomes a cringe y embarrassing thing when they are not.

Keep in mind its origin around coming together as champions post-tornado; where the city came together, rallied and supported one another.

Back