News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Keep in mind its origin around coming together as champions post-tornado; where the city came together, rallied and supported one another.
How many people remember that? Not many the majority think it has everything to do with sports and nothing else. Let’s refocus and move with the times. How about the city of AI? 😏

I don't think it was a coincidence that at the same time there was a hockey team winning several Stanley Cups. And guess what now - again a hockey team going to the Stanley Cup again for the first time in almost two decades?

So lets bring up talk about being champions again right on cue. Yeah, the coming together around the tornado is a heartwarming cover story, but I think in this case the majority is right on this and see it for what it is.

I think any slogan could be made fun of or interpreted how folks wish. The city of champions slogan to me elicits positive thoughts of our great city. Sure some of which are sports teams and with anything success can come and go in that regard. I also think of all the great things people and groups have done in this city. Be it having the vision to build an LRT at the time when our city was much smaller, or heroes the likes of Wop May or folks like Brett Ryan and Travis Jordan killed in the line of duty. Other thoughts could be with important activists that made their mark in our city like Emily Murphy fighting for women's rights. Perhaps it's not one person but how the community comes together to put on events or help out others such as when we welcomed folks from Fort McMurray in their time of need.

The city of champions doesn't have to be the only slogan but I believe that lives on regardless of whether it is on a sign or not.

While it is good to celebrate and acknowledge our community efforts in times of adversity, I don't believe we are the only place in the world to have ever done so.

If we think we are the only ones to do this, that is very provincial thinking and is how others elsewhere will see this. Surely many other places have welcomed people fleeing disasters and overcome terrible events too.

I feel it is overly laudatory and actually an overcompensation for a lack of confidence. It also does not fit well with our character of not being overly boastful, which I think is actually a good attribute.

I think any slogan could be made fun of or interpreted how folks wish. The city of champions slogan to me elicits positive thoughts of our great city. Sure some of which are sports teams and with anything success can come and go in that regard. I also think of all the great things people and groups have done in this city. Be it having the vision to build an LRT at the time when our city was much smaller, or heroes the likes of Wop May or folks like Brett Ryan and Travis Jordan killed in the line of duty. Other thoughts could be with important activists that made their mark in our city like Emily Murphy fighting for women's rights. Perhaps it's not one person but how the community comes together to put on events or help out others such as when we welcomed folks from Fort McMurray in their time of need.

The city of champions doesn't have to be the only slogan but I believe that lives on regardless of whether it is on a sign or not.

You made me think of this after reading your post, ha.

Maybe this is a dumb take, but I've always thought that Edmonton should try and develop a sort of reverse snowbird tourism strategy. Our summers -- if there's no smoke -- are super nice and the city is affordable relative to major cities, and I'm sure there are lots of people in the sunbelt that would love to escape the month long daytime highs of +45 and night time lows of +35.
Edmonton. It's cooler here. :cool:

Edmonton. It's cooler here. :cool:
I feel we need to be very careful not to reinforce some of the stereotypes and misconceptions that we are arctic wasteland and we live in Igloos.

However, it is actually a good idea to promote traveling here in the summer particularly to places in the US that are very hot then. I would suggest to use terms such as pleasant or comfortable summer temperatures instead.

Also a lot of Edmontonians go to places like Arizona in the winter, so it could actually work well if some of the people there they connect with, travel here in the summer.

GP6k2-FXgAAbfxR

GP6k4MPXkAA4iB6

Back