News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I remember going to that mall at an early age. It was an open air mall originally. Johnston Walkers, Woodwards food floor, Westmount Kitchen. It lost a lot after they capped the mall. Also the theater was across the road originally.

This is what is happening with Westmount (selective demolition):

L120 (2).png
L120 (1).png
L120.png

Basically, Safeway, Home Depot, Shoppers, Mark's, GYMVMT and Covenant Health are all staying put. The rest of the mall is being opened up so that the CRUs all have exterior-facing entrances. There isn't much new parking being created, which is a good thing. The old Walmart space is being split into two new CRUs as well.

I realize power centres are in fashion and cheaper, but for our supposedly cold climate, I don't find going outside to go from store to store really that enjoyable for a good part of the year.

There was a reason the mall was enclosed. So I suspect more people will just take a pass from going there and go to other malls in the area instead.

I think that this has potential -- opening it up like the Brewery District with the ability to redevelop portions of the parking over time -- putting it underground, adding to significant mixed use possibilities with housing/micro-hotels atop ground-floor retail and second-floor services. I know that this is not connected to LRT but it has other site advantages being adjacent to the architectural marvels at Coronation Park -- the soon-to-be Velodrome, the Space Sciences Centre, the historically significant Planetarium and the Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre. Other pluses include Ross Shepard High School with its attendant athletic grounds, a public library, and a mid-rise retirement centre. In all the makings of a 15-minute City Centre. And if you wanted to dream, how cool would it be to see a Gondola project revived that initially went from the Westmount Transit Centre following the contours of the Groat Road into the River Valley and up the other side to the University of Alberta with LRT connectors at Sam Dickson Park (Stony Plain Road adding another station to Valley Line West) and the intersection of University Avenue and 114 Street with an aerial pedway connection to the Hospital LRT Station and all adjacent Special purpose buildings . Other stops in this dream world could be Government House (breathing new life into the former Museum building), a redeveloped Victoria Park, and Hawrelak Park -- 6 stops in all, a similar scale as to what was proposed from Strathcona to Downtown. A future expansion could run east along Whyte to Bonnie Doon (also thereby connecting to LRT) and North along Groat Rd. extension to St. Albert.

I think that this has potential -- opening it up like the Brewery District with the ability to redevelop portions of the parking over time -- putting it underground, adding to significant mixed use possibilities with housing/micro-hotels atop ground-floor retail and second-floor services. I know that this is not connected to LRT but it has other site advantages being adjacent to the architectural marvels at Coronation Park -- the soon-to-be Velodrome, the Space Sciences Centre, the historically significant Planetarium and the Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre. Other pluses include Ross Shepard High School with its attendant athletic grounds, a public library, and a mid-rise retirement centre. In all the makings of a 15-minute City Centre. And if you wanted to dream, how cool would it be to see a Gondola project revived that initially went from the Westmount Transit Centre following the contours of the Groat Road into the River Valley and up the other side to the University of Alberta with LRT connectors at Sam Dickson Park (Stony Plain Road adding another station to Valley Line West) and the intersection of University Avenue and 114 Street with an aerial pedway connection to the Hospital LRT Station and all adjacent Special purpose buildings . Other stops in this dream world could be Government House (breathing new life into the former Museum building), a redeveloped Victoria Park, and Hawrelak Park -- 6 stops in all, a similar scale as to what was proposed from Strathcona to Downtown. A future expansion could run east along Whyte to Bonnie Doon (also thereby connecting to LRT) and North along Groat Rd. extension to St. Albert.

I stopped reading at Brewery District. What's the point of having an underground parkade when the management at Brewery District insists on punishing us shoppers with their frequent closures and escalator outages of the parkade?

Sorry maybe just the mood I'm in this morning, but as much I'd rather see an idea a archited posted my pessimism tells me we will simply get an uninspired power center like every other power center in this city.
Agreed, and I have had my coffee and am feeling fairly good this morning. I am usually a bit more optimistic, but not here, perhaps because Westmount has a history of not impressive redevelopment.

And too regarding rent, I believe there should be an elimination of percentage rent.
Why? Percentage rent is typically the potential return to the landlord for accepting a lower fixed rent from a potential tenant. The tenant gets a break up front, a lower fixed commitment and only pays percentage rent at a rate the business can afford based on how well the business is doing.

Why? Percentage rent is typically the potential return to the landlord for accepting a lower fixed rent from a potential tenant. The tenant gets a break up front, a lower fixed commitment and only pays percentage rent at a rate the business can afford based on how well the business is doing.
And yet there are many places that charge a high fixed rent and then they also charge a percentage rent too.

I mean what do we think will become of Westmount? It doesn't have the LRT connection that Bonnie Doon has to become a full TOD but it is connected to a transit centre. Any chance we could see some residential, or are we looking at more strip mall sorta fate similar to Capilano?

the actual mall part of Westmount Mall has been pretty dead for a while now lol, so this change makes sense from a business perspective imo. I personally think the site would be great for a mixed-use "town centre" type development with many different housing options (e.g. low-rise buildings, townhomes, cottage courts, etc.) and a very walkable pedestrian-scale environment. Even if the LRT isn't there... yet (my imaginary plans call for a line in the future ;)) it still has pretty great bus connections and, with some dedicated bus lanes on 111th ave, service could be upgraded nicely. The surrounding areas and amenities are pretty heckin great as well!

Last edited:
listening to the radio this morning. Tenants were given 30 day s to vacate. It sounds like the units below the theater are experiencing leaking from above. May be more to this like structural issues.

listening to the radio this morning. Tenants were given 30 day s to vacate. It sounds like the units below the theater are experiencing leaking from above. May be more to this like structural issues.
Yes, I suspect this plan, if it can be called that, is being driven more by an unexpected problem that is expensive to resolve and this is the cheaper solution. If so, this is more ad hoc than a grand vision.

Back