5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the National Post:

Site of $450M condo/hotel yet to be razed

Posted: April 08, 2008, 9:10 PM by Barry Hertz
Neighbourhoods, Real estate

By Ali Zafar, National Post

The site of the city’s most famous unbuilt skyscraper, the Bazis tower at Yonge and Bloor streets, remains a boarded-up set of buildings six weeks after demolition was to begin, and may stay that way a while yet.

Demolition of Roy Square was slated to begin end of February, but has been delayed by two months, said Veronika Belovich, director of sales and marketing at Bazis International.

“Co-ordination of things and planning of things just took longer than anticipated; getting ready for demolition, finalizing details of demolition took time,†she said.

Roy Square is the future site of 1 Bloor, a $450-million condo/hotel project spearheaded by Bazis International, set to be complete by 2011. At 80 storeys, it will be the tallest residential building in Canada in terms of floors. It will house 132 hotel rooms on the first six floors and 564 residential units above.

But zoning for the project has expanded to include more plots — businesses just south of Roy Square, which were acquired last November by the developer — and that’s adding to the demolition delay. The Shoe Company and Cash Money are still open there, and no word yet when they will be closing down.

Although a proposal for site demolition has been approved, the city hasn’t given the go-ahead on construction.

“The current zoning bylaw does not permit the height, the density, the massing, basically the built form of the shape of Bloor 1,†said Al Rezoski, senior city planner for downtown Toronto.

But it’s not unusual for development projects to begin demolition before city approves construction, Mr. Rezoski added.

Ms. Belovich said demolition will start even if the businesses to the south of Roy Square remain open.

“Demolition of such a large site is going to take a couple of months and we’re going to start on one side and then go towards the south. We’re going to secure those buildings in the south so the demolition of the north buildings doesn’t affect them.â€

But Jane Beecroft of the Canadian Heritage Project, formerly housed at Roy Square, said she doesn’t believe the demolition will happen anytime soon, adding demolition plans for the square have been delayed before.

“We were betting that the whole demolition scheme won’t tart for seven months,†Ms. Beecroft said.

wow, thats very disappointing! When I was there on Sunday, I noticed the deserted alleyways are becoming a hangout for all sorts of shady characters....

Hydrogen - yes very empty words, otherwise known as B.S.

I thought the city was going to do something about rewarding demolition permits before a project got city approval. Especially after the Toronto Life Square fiasco. Last think we need is this corner to be borded up for 8 years while Bazis takes their time and makes millions of everyones deposits.

I thought the city was going to do something about rewarding demolition permits before a project got city approval. Especially after the Toronto Life Square fiasco. Last think we need is this corner to be borded up for 8 years while Bazis takes their time and makes millions of everyones deposits.

They make nothing off deposits. The deposits are held in trust and the interest (if any) goes towards those who made the deposits.

Deposits are held in a third party trust. Bazis has no access to them and any interest generated goes to the unit purchaser (is credited at the end towards the cost of the unit).

Bazis doesn't financially gain anything from delays - actually any delays are costing Bazis as the carrying cost for the property are significant and the longer the construction period the longer the company has to wait to gain access to the deposits.

Cool, I was always wondering if developers had access to those deposits or not since many people who bought into failed condo units seemed to complain that the deposit return was much less than what they had thought it was going to be. Hopefully the work continues sooner than later.

Model Pictures

Model Pictures

2414255237_e8fb79b3cc_o.jpg

2414254807_119a54f08d_o.jpg

2415079630_9350d034c8_o.jpg

2414254225_8079517e66_o.jpg

2415078224_0ae57bf7be_o.jpg

2415077170_fe83a1f28c.jpg

2414246255_68eddebf5e_o.jpg

2415071336_c6e0b3c5f9_o.jpg

I see green glass...
2415079082_82110ee14b_o.jpg

2415078750_f447e465b7_o.jpg

2415071810_60b8100419_o.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe, but if that was the case, wouldn't they be doing more to sell them? Like Trump's perpetual "pre-construction sale"?

I have to agree, there is only one reason for a delay and that is "sales". The financing of these types of projects is generally conditional on sales achieving a certain level - say 75%. Otherwise Mike is right; the carrying cost of the property and design fees becomes substantial pretty quick.

There is no proof whatsoever to believe this thing is delayed due to low sales: they don't even have approval for the height they want from City Council yet - there are issues to work out with this building.

I have no information regarding the current level of sales, but Interchange is correct in pointing out that final approvals from the City have yet to be obtained. Upon approval, I'm guessing that demolition will proceed in pretty short order. It is not in the developer's interest to procrastinate. Carrying costs on a project of this size will certainly be substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back