News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
we've really gone through the 'cheapening' with this one...

I agree, although I do not think that "cheapening" is the appropriate word here. It was not Bazis that wanted to make the change, but the City -- I believe as part of the negotiations for the extra height that Bazis wanted. A better term might be "the boxening" (hey, I made up a new word!), since as far as I know, Bazis is still planning to spend as much much money psf on construction as before.

I would assume that removing of decorative elements and the dumbing down of the design works in Basiz' favor however- they would be spending more money on the construction, which would mean less profit. Yet, I am inclined to agree that it was probably not entirely Basiz who is responsible for these changes- the city can be horribly backwards when approving designs.

p5

^ not sure if that actually works out in Bazis's favour - construction material costs have been increasing significantly over the last year - if working out design changes with the city delayed them a few months that's where the loss will occur - also the new balcony designs appear to use more materials then the previous version - being a so call "double skin" of glass and all...

What percentage of the total costs are due to materials? I thought that land, labour and financing costs typically add up to at least as much as the material costs.

As some of you may have guessed from the pics I uploaded yesterday, I recently moved into my new office in the Xerox Tower and my view looks directly onto the 1BE site - I promise many more updates as the site progresses!

I liked that design better as well, but oh well, we're getting a beautiful tower still.

Why would the developer not ahve considered hiring a starchitect to design this? A Norman Foster, Ghery? Obviously there's a cost, but for a project of this size I think it could have been afforded. I understand they kept with the internal design team. I hate it when people not quite ready for prime time put their own interests first.

What percentage of the total costs are due to materials? I thought that land, labour and financing costs typically add up to at least as much as the material costs.

Hi Mongo,

Sorry for the delay to answering your question, hopefully this will be satisfactory:

Every project is a bit different, but materials are the primary cost incurred by developers when constructing a condo. This is a ballpark figure, but depending on the project it would be in the 45% range of total costs for materials (give or take approx 5%-10% depending on a whole range of issues). There have been severe increases in construction materials costs over the last year and a half which has threatened the economic viability of some condo projects - essentially if pro-formas were done two or three years ago and pre-sales started about two years ago and shovels aren't in the ground or are only just in the ground now, the builder has taken a huge risk and it's highly unlikely that they planned for the costs that they now have to absorb when pre-construction sales were launched. The condo industry is very high-risk and the longer one waits to commence construction the more risk that is taken on - one of the reasons why I'm puzzled when some people suggest delays on the builders part are intentional - the builder wants to get in the ground and complete the project as soon as possible in order to manage risk. Unfortunately there are shortages of labour in the GTA construction industry and developers are having trouble allocating labour to new projects, thus the delays...

Financing as you suggest is important, but is usually under 5% of total costs, but this depends on the builders cash flow, credit rating and risk (financial institutions across North America have tightened up on credit significantly the last few months which has created some problems for Toronto condo builders - i.e. hitting pre-sales targets doesn't guarantee the bank will release credit anymore) as well as how much money the builder is actually putting in up front.

Land costs are typically in the 10% to 15% range depending on location and the size of the project (One Bloor may have a lower % due to the size of the project - a smaller project would have lower material/labour costs, but the land deal would be the same, thus a higher percentage).

All figures are of course site specific as every project is different in terms of the land deal, negotiated labour contracts, materials, sales and marketing, financing etc...

Thank you for the very informative reply, Mike. This gives me a basis to decide if the statements in posts regarding project finances are realistic, or just hot air.

short news item in today's Daily Commercial News:

Priestly Demolition crews raise some rubble at One Bloor project

Priestly Demolition Inc. is demolishing the previous structure at the site of the One Bloor condominium/hotel and retail project.

PCL Constructors Canada Inc. is the owner’s agent on behalf of Bazis International Inc.

The 80-storey project, set to be the tallest tower in Canada, will have approximately 612 condo units and 150 boutique hotel suites. The building also offers three levels of retail space, five levels of underground parking and direct entrance to the TTC.

Shoring work is expected to begin in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back