News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest that there are probably higher insurance premiums and liability issues for empty buildings that sit for extended periods of time. Older neglected buildings can deteriorate fast with floods and building infrastructure problems once leaky roofs begin when they're not heated plus they can be vandalized, there's an increased chance of fire, squatters and so on. Take a walk past what's left of the Sam's/old Future Shop sites and take a whiff, it's positively gross.
I don't like empty lots in high profile areas either but there's another angle that land owners/developers probably have to consider.
That said, as I suggested before I think a bond should be held by the City after demolition so that if situations such as 1BE, Yonge-Dundas etc. get delayed, the area can be temporarily turned into an attractive public space by the owner of the land. Not to the level of a Music Garden public space, but something that rises visually above what we see now and is functional at the same time.

There already is too much risk to developers. A bond of that sort would simply drive them away or inflate prices even higher.

I think they should not be allowed to demolish unless completely and 100% ready to get the shovels in the ground.

However, no project is ever 100% secured to be completed even long past shovels have hit the ground. Also, It's quite clear the developers of these sites fully intend to have shovels in the ground as quick as possible. Whether they do is probably someone else's matter.

maya010.jpg

I believe the new Toronto Life is out, but nothing is linked on the Web. I would relay the gist of it, but I am far, far away from anywhere I could get a print copy.

There isn't much in terms of new info in the Toronto Life article. Basically just the info that has already been posted in this thread regarding the Lehman Brothers financing and Lehman Brothers being on the land title.

Last edited:
At the May 14 city council meeting, the city should be finally passing a bylaw to permanently close the lane running north from Hayden St. through the 1BE site.

LOL! ..ouch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back