News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are quite a few vehicles, a backhoe, and about 10 workers on the site today. It looks like they are starting to dig around the perimeter.

I am glad to see some activity after so long with no one to be seen.

I saw this activity also. The backhoe excavated a large trench along the west wall of the xerox building. I believe that it was removing the demolition material that was used for backfill (huge chunks of concrete) so that the construction drill auger can be brought in. I also noticed on the west wall of the xerox building uniformally spaced orange markings designating where the pillings will go in. From what I saw it certainly appears that CONSTRUCTION IS NOW UNDERWAY !

on urbandb, the status shows "Site Preparation", however, on Wikipedia it shows that the site is "Under Construction", but that's from Wikipedia so... :D

I can't wait till this ("Under Construction") becomes official so i can send it to my colleagues who thought the site will never be built! can't wait! :)

I saw this activity also. The backhoe excavated a large trench along the west wall of the xerox building. I believe that it was removing the demolition material that was used for backfill (huge chunks of concrete) so that the construction drill auger can be brought in. I also noticed on the west wall of the xerox building uniformally spaced orange markings designating where the pillings will go in. From what I saw it certainly appears that CONSTRUCTION IS NOW UNDERWAY !

Peepers, your post plus that of wcy may end up being the posts of the year.......:eek:

Yep, I noticed massive digging at the site today, as described above. It was fairly substantial, and I couldn't believe my eyes at first. It was great to see something significant happening.

Oh...My...God!! We need pictures people!! I can't do anything in that department, I live in etobicoke. Can someone please brave the cold?! I have to see it to believe it =P!!

^Exactly! SimplyDan... drop your camera in your bag and snap a pic or two for us when you get to work!

From today's Globe and Mail:

------------------

Teflon T.O. skirts worst - for now

JOHN BARBER

March 3, 2009

The Canadian economy shrank by 3.4 per cent in the last three months of 2008, as you probably know by now. But did you know that last December produced record revenues for the Toronto Parking Authority? Or that ridership on the Toronto Transit Commission continues to climb, and is now at least 3 per cent higher than it was in January, 2008?

And what are we to make of the fact that cranes still stubbornly swing above so many building sites downtown? The national economy was collapsing like a media stock in January when the developers of the 66-storey Shangri-La condominium bought an ad (thanks, guys) to proclaim their acquisition of a $408-million loan to build the thing, which they are now doing.

Even if he wanted to help Toronto, which is doubtful, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty could never hope to create such a potent and focused stimulus as that. But the Shangri-La is only one of several large developments actively under construction in downtown Toronto. Just as surprisingly, applications to build more continue to flood into city hall.

Some projects have been quietly shelved or delayed, but only one of them - a specialized office building that is part of the MaRS research centre - has stopped in mid-construction. So far, there is no 21st-century equivalent of the notorious Adelaide Street "stump" that stood for more than a decade as testament to the speculative excess of the 1980s. Instead, a renewed Bay-Adelaide Centre is now preparing to welcome its first tenants.

The last big real-estate bust arrived in one fell swoop. Long-established industry giants disappeared in a matter of months. This one is slinking into town on tippy-toes.

"I believe that Toronto is in the best shape of any city in North America," said developer Stephen Diamond, who has been involved in both the Shangri-La and the 55-storey Four Seasons project in Yorkville, which also began construction in the face of the worst national economy in 40 years. "Buyers are closing, projects are going ahead and there are still people buying units."

"We're certainly suffering," he added, "but it's like there's this bubble over the city." Housing prices have dropped, but not nearly as much as they have in Vancouver or even Calgary.

Few observers, including Mr. Diamond, expect the bubble to last. But for the time being, at least, it certainly sets the city apart.

Many point to the site of One Bloor East - the super-tall apartment building that incited a buying frenzy when it was proposed at the height of the boom - as a crucial test. The project stalled when its major lender, Lehman Brothers of New York, went bust last fall. But developer Bazis International is still active at city hall, having agreed last week to pay more than $1-million to acquire a laneway adjacent to its site.

The company's consistent refusal to respond to media inquiries about the project's status invites suspicion. But as of now, the project's a go. So are two similar projects on Bloor Street West, currently under construction. Last week, Bazis submitted an application to build another one on property it owns across from the Royal Ontario Museum.

Nobody expects Toronto's resiliency to survive the macroeconomic shocks that are sure to arrive as a result of the global financial crisis. In the meantime, though, private investors continue to pump billions of dollars into the local economy.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

What are people on this site, gonna talk about now?

I'm keeping the old bubbly on ice for a while longer.

I'm not bringing it out when/if the hole gets dug.
I'm not bringing it out when the first cement truck arrives.
I'll bring it out when I see the tower rising from the podium.

That's how scarey I think this project is.

There are quite a few vehicles, a backhoe, and about 10 workers on the site today. It looks like they are starting to dig around the perimeter.

I am glad to see some activity after so long with no one to be seen.

I will reserve / hold off stating 'Construction Is Now Underway' until something more substantial happens on site ... further please note the following according to the City of Toronto Building Application Status Website:

Application#: 08 201447 SHO 00 PP
Accepted Date: Sep 9, 2008
Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res ... Partial Permit - Shoring
Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 4 sty podium consisting of retail and hotel/residential area & 5 levels of below grade parking. NOTE: Future 77 sty tower to follow as PHASE 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back