8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Seesus

Member Bio
Reaction score
Quite a few condos that I am seeing come up - have either 0-21 floors and then 23- XX floors for example. I am just keen to why do they not have a 22 floor at all ? I heard that there is some myth about it not being a lucky number but find it hard to believe that builders use that as a reason. likewise, it could either be the 20th floor missing in some cases.

Also would there be any problem (resale / buyers perception wise) if one was to buy a unit on the 21st or 23rd floor above for instance ? Just curious to know - Thanks

Not sure, have heard about it. What other logic could possible exist to have a floor missing usually between the floors or 20 - 23 ?

My building has missing floor numbers because every unit on that given floor is two storey lofts.

As many know 4th floor are rare to come by (especially new condos) in TO because of the cultural sensitivity for Chinese people. Take a look at this:

http://m.upi.com/m/story/UPI-82511289061439/

And 88 in that same culture represents prosperity (Concert changing their upcoming 40 Scott St to 88 Scott is such a glaring example of this and very shrewd on their part. The condo would have had heavy Chinese investment anyway, like most new projects, but changing to 88 will just make it that much more appealing versus 40).

Never knew about 22 though. Maybe another cultural group? I tried googling but couldn't find anything.

I'm not aware of 22 being a superstitious number in any culture.
It could be a design in the building that cause the elevator to skip that floor (2-storey units on level 21, mechanical level, etc.).

Some condos are putting their mechanical floor half way up the building so that it is more efficient.

I think they should stop skipping floors altogether. I have a friend who is a fire fighter and they actually find this confusing which could be a safety issue.
Imagine a ladder truck is not sent to a fire because the fire is on the 10th floor but the ladder only reaches 9?
How about when the call comes in on the 25th floor but the pull station is pulled on the 22nd level when the fire crew arrives?

When someone falls from a balcony and they report it as falling 15 stories, did they actually fall only 12 because there was no 4, 13 or 14?

Offer me a 4th floor unit for a couple thousand less than a third floor unit and I'll jump at it.

I think they should stop skipping floors altogether. I have a friend who is a fire fighter and they actually find this confusing which could be a safety issue.
Imagine a ladder truck is not sent to a fire because the fire is on the 10th floor but the ladder only reaches 9?
How about when the call comes in on the 25th floor but the pull station is pulled on the 22nd level when the fire crew arrives?

When someone falls from a balcony and they report it as falling 15 stories, did they actually fall only 12 because there was no 4, 13 or 14?

Offer me a 4th floor unit for a couple thousand less than a third floor unit and I'll jump at it.

Never really even thought about it like that - but your point is valid, this could be confusing for search and rescue operation staff not knowing where did the builder skip a number on the floor.

I'm not aware of 22 being a superstitious number in any culture.
It could be a design in the building that cause the elevator to skip that floor (2-storey units on level 21, mechanical level, etc.).

Some condos are putting their mechanical floor half way up the building so that it is more efficient.

Would there be any disadvantages of living right above or underneath the mechanical floor in this case assuming if they are half way up the building ? for instance lets say i have an apartment that is actually on 20th floor but is numbered as 21 (As there is no 20th floor in the building) ?

The number superstition thing is so ridiculous. In CityPlace it's out of control.

Really, in a modern technological society we actually believe that certain floors are 'bad luck'?

Get a grip.

The number superstition thing is so ridiculous. In CityPlace it's out of control.

Really, in a modern technological society we actually believe that certain floors are 'bad luck'?

Get a grip.

I am very keen to know what number in Cityplace is considered unlucky ?

Back