News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Here's some shots of it from 13 years ago.

Cube Building A.jpg
Cube Building C.jpg
Cube Building D.jpg
Cube Building E.jpg

Attachments

• Cube Building A.jpg
    Cube Building A.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,095
  • Cube Building C.jpg
    Cube Building C.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 952
  • Cube Building D.jpg
    Cube Building D.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 722
  • Cube Building E.jpg
    Cube Building E.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 839
Last edited by a moderator:
Planning hurdles aside (and, yes, I know that's not really a world any of us can live in), I do think the right architect could do something really cool and additive while preserving the cubes in their whole and building upon that motif. Feels like it'd have to be a low-margin passion project for a developer that thinks that way, though.

If the support structure below had some cladding on it that wasn't the ugliest materials known to man, I might have more sympathy for the cubes. I could never understand how CoffeeTime or anyone would want to be associated with this unparalleled eyesore… but there seems to be a limitless supply of people who just don't care, so we get what we get.

If the lower levels here can be saved, I'd be happy to have the cubes live on and even multiply on the site, but it would take a miracle for that to occur.

I could never understand how CoffeeTime or anyone would want to be associated with this unparalleled eyesore… but there seems to be a limitless supply of people who just don't care, so we get what we get.

If the lower levels here can be saved, I'd be happy to have the cubes live on and even multiply on the site, but it would take a miracle for that to occur.

The owner of the site is (indirectly) the Coffee Time founder.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...need-of-a-little-cosmic-energy/article627420/

AoD

Yup, I saw that. Coffee Time has always been just about the worst chain in the city, so in one way it was no surprise to learn of the connection ("it suddenly all makes sense!), but even then, how could even Mr. Coffee Time not see how horrible this structure looks, and how could he not sink something into improving them?

Yup, I saw that. Coffee Time has always been just about the worst chain in the city, so in one way it was no surprise to learn of the connection ("it suddenly all makes sense!), but even then, how could even Mr. Coffee Time not see how horrible this structure looks, and how could he not sink something into improving them?

On the other hand, isn't that the same MO?

AoD

It is, it's just one level beyond what I thought was ever possible.

This should be designated as a heritage structure. It is awesome. I would be extremely disappointed if someone tore it down.

This should be designated as a heritage structure. It is awesome. I would be extremely disappointed if someone tore it down.

I'm really having a tough time seeing that awesomeness with the cheap disorderly cladding, the dilapidated state from standing in as a billboard for so long. I agree the concept is interesting but, this needs to come down even to be rebuilt properly.

I'm not exactly averse to retention, but it doesn't have to be *there*. One suggestion I made on Twitter was to move it to Cherry Loop as an operator washroom - I think that was deemed heartless to the sitting tenant, but given the air quality he is likely living in at the current site he should probably worry more about his actual heart and move.

Back