News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

We are now at 120 total 150 metres + skyscrapers built and u/c in Toronto. 82 built and 38 u/c. We're 17 behind Chicago now, which has a total of 137 150 metres + skyscrapers built and u/c. Plus 6 proposals for a total of 143. As well ... Toronto has now reached a new benchmark of having a total of 300 total skyscrapers built/u/c/proposed! We have a total of 180 proposals. Many of which are already approved. We also have 1 skyscraper on hold. So that makes a total of 301! I'm assuming that outside of New York; this is the most any North American city has ever had for total built/u/c/proposed. New York has a total of 295 skyscrapers built, with 17 u/c and 10 proposed for 322 skyscrapers.

Obviously, New York's total is mainly made up of built skyscrapers, and Toronto has a whopping 180 towers proposed. I mention NY's total because a couple of years ago, there were stories on North American news sites about how Toronto had just a few more total built/u/c/proposed towers than Chicago and would pass them at some point. We now have over 2 times as many total tower projects in the works as Chicago, including our 180 proposed towers. While Chicago has just 6 proposed 150 metres + towers in the works.

I think it's fun because Toronto will likely pass New York for total projects before too long, including proposals. Of course, a ton of them will be for proposals both approved and waiting for approval. So it's much different than when we were passing Chicago's total, including proposals in 2020. But I still think it's fun to dream and just point that fact out.
😀

Last edited:
I wonder if, and if so how many, of the proposals will be shelved because of the market slowdown.

Comparatively few, I think.

Some will be delayed slightly; but most will likely keep on; though I think you may see a few condo proposals revisited as purpose-built rental.

Simply put, immigration to the GTA is picking up steam, and people need places to live; most of those inbound are financially capable of sustaining a mortgage at ~4%.

I think some of the biggest risk is to projects that are sold through, but for whatever reason, have had construction lag; so they are facing spiked construction costs with price/revenue from 2 years ago.

I wonder if, and if so how many, of the proposals will be shelved because of the market slowdown.
With a constant demand for new housing and a critical lack of housing in Toronto, I don't think so. New Immigration is also a huge factor. Which I'm happy to see and hear about, of course. We went through a pandemic, and things are mostly still going ahead.

I know 1000's of units were pulled at 1 point, but the demand is so high, and it's hopefully going to ensure more towers get built. I hear all the time about people saying that there's a bubble or the market's going to go way down. They say that all the time, lol. But hopefully, the market will hold up, and more towers will come online. I hope. 😀

I think this is the first time that Toronto has a 3 new tallest buildings under construction at the same time (The One, One Yonge and Concord Sky).
I'm not sure about all the history of Toronto's buildings and building booms, but I'd have to think you're right. 😀

Some will terminate their current contracts and go back to sales, possibly under a different developer, at a higher price-point to keep up with costs. Resale prices are dropping all around Ontario except downtown Toronto, where they've remained fairly stable so far: consumer demand is still very strong for central Toronto residential.

Any construction slowdown will only be a couple years. If enough developers delay, costs drop, which suddenly makes projects financially viable again.

A larger threat to tall condos is the Tory promise of rezoning the yellow-belt. Most Toronto builders started with wood-construction houses. I think they'd be thrilled to go to medium density 5-floor wood construction with an 18 month time period between sales and registration, with no rezoning or other hassles. The smaller scale derisks much of their operation.

Frankly, I hope they do it and the 50+ floor condo becomes a rare again.

Last edited:
Anything over 200 m is going to help with any of the traffic in the area. It’s already starting to get built up as more people come in from just outside the city say 30 minutes or less.

An entire quarter without an update to the counts?
Hi, RBT. There haven't been any new towers added since the last update, but soon there should be a few larger towers added to the total before too long, I think. And possibly a couple of others as well, I think, before too long! I've been keeping an eye out for anything new, and I'll post it ASAP. Thanks! 😀

645 Yonge is quite recent... 230 Sherbourne is from mid-Oct. as are the 10 Grenoble twins, 1075 Leslie and 839 Yonge. Cambridge Suites came out in early Oct. as did 2575 Danforth.

645 Yonge is quite recent... 230 Sherbourne is from mid-Oct. as are the 10 Grenoble twins, 1075 Leslie and 839 Yonge. Cambridge Suites came out in early Oct. as did 2575 Danforth.
Hi, Koops. Is the Total number of 120 150 metre + skyscrapers completed and u/c accurate for TO? Or has that changed and gone up now? Because that's what I see on SSC diagrams page. Again, I'm not an expert on using the features on SSC's diagram page, so it could be higher than 120 and
I might be mistaken. Thanks again for all your work and awesome videos, too. It's amazing to see what Toronto will look like when many of the future proposals are built. Thanks so much! 😀

Yes the total is 120. There are 82 built and 38 U/C, and another 192 proposed on top of that. Recently a few proposed towers were removed for becomming stale proposals.

Yes the total is 120. There are 82 built and 38 U/C, and another 192 proposed on top of that. Recently a few proposed towers were removed for becomming stale proposals.
Ok, thanks so much, Koops. I've seen that Sugar Wharf is demolishing its site and that 8 Elm and Forma could be u/c by the next quarter. Hopefully, there will be other projects starting up soon, too. 😀

Back