News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They have double the number of buildings that are 200+ meters. That will take quite a bit of time to surpass.

By 100m+ buildings the City of Toronto will likely move ahead of the City of Chicago some time in 2021. It will happen by 150m+ and 200m+ too but that will take longer. Perhaps 2025? If proposals are realized Toronto will zoom way out in front. In a few years NYC will be the only North American skyline left to reel in. A much tougher ask, of course.

There's also the 300m+ metric but the point is that, quantitatively, Chicago's big lead over Toronto has dwindled to almost nothing. Toronto will pass Chicago..... and in a few years. I suspect some are so used to Chicago's skyline being substantially bigger that it's incomprehensible that Toronto is on the verge of passing it. I might add that these figures don't include Mississauga and Vaughan and we all know there's a ton of stuff going up in both places.

CITY OF CHICAGO
100m+ Built: 336
100m+ U/C: 10
Total: 346
Proposals: 19
Potential Tally: 365

CITY OF TORONTO
100m+ Built: 284
100m+ U/C: 105
Total: 389
Proposals: 288
Potential Tally: 677

CITY OF CHICAGO
150m+ Built: 130
150m+ U/C: 7
Total: 137
Proposals: 12
Potential Tally: 149

CITY OF TORONTO
150m+ Built: 74
150m+ U/C: 35
Total: 109
Proposals: 112
Potential Tally: 221

CITY OF CHICAGO
200m+ Built: 32
200m+ U/C: 6
Total: 38
Proposals: 6
Potential Tally: 46

CITY OF TORONTO
200m+ Built: 23
200m+ U/C: 10
Total: 33
Proposals: 40
Potential Tally: 73

Last edited:
Eventually, we should also start discussing the number of buildings in downtown Toronto vs downtown Chicago. Right now, Chicago has a decent lead in that department because a lot of new buildings in Toronto are spread all over the city.

When we talk about skyline, or show pictures of skyline, Humber Bay, for example, gets excluded from Toronto's skyline. That's why Chicago's skyline still appears a lot more massive. May be in next 20 years, Toronto's downtown skyline will surpass Chicago's downtown skyline but I don't think that will happen within 10 years. If it does happen, then it will be a significant achievement for the city.

By 100m+ buildings the City of Toronto will likely move ahead of the City of Chicago some time in 2021. It will happen by 150m+ and 200m+ too but that will take longer. Perhaps 2025? If proposals are realized Toronto will zoom way out in front. In a few years NYC will be the only North American skyline left to reel in. A much tougher ask, of course.

There's also the 300m+ metric but the point is that, quantitatively, Chicago's big lead over Toronto has dwindled to almost nothing. Toronto will pass Chicago..... and in a few years. I suspect some are so used to Chicago's skyline being substantially bigger that it's incomprehensible that Toronto is on the verge of passing it. I might add that these figures don't include Mississauga and Vaughan and we all know there's a ton of stuff going up in both places.

CITY OF CHICAGO

CITY OF TORONTO

CITY OF CHICAGO

CITY OF TORONTO

CITY OF CHICAGO

CITY OF TORONTO

Great post, the boom Toronto is experiencing is unprecedented.
Q. Do we know the next 200+ building in Toronto that is next to break ground?
I know this whole site is dedicated to this but I was looking for some specifics

Is there catalogue/database of when a building has begun construction?
for example, how many 100m+ buildings began construction in Jan 2021

The 100+ m list has a filter applied to it on the street column and only 3 buildings are visible. I can't remove the filter. Can anyone else do it, please?
It's been 9 months, and the 100+ metre list STILL has the filter applied, you can only see the buildings on Bremner Blvd. Can somebody with authorization PLEASE remove the filter? The list is useless right now!

NOTE: Just figured out you can download the sheet and then in DATA, remove the filter. It's a decent work-around, but filter should still be removed from online version.

SECOND NOTE: List is still very out of date. For example, the Sky tower (which is already under construction!), 1200 Bay, 212 King, and Union Park 1, all over 300m, are not listed.

Last edited:
I am not sure where to post this, but I think it fits best in this forum.

I have compiled a spreadsheet of all buildings at least 300 feet tall (I used feet because it has higher height resolution than using metres) in the Greater Toronto Area (Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham, and Richmond Hill).

The "List by Year" tab lists highrises that have been completed or are still under construction, by year of completion. I am NOT including "Proposals" or "On Hold" buildings in that tab, because we simply do nor know when they will be completed, if ever.

One thing to note is that there are a HUGE number of 300+ foot buildings currently under construction scheduled to be completed this year (60 buildings), with the numbers declining in future years (42 in 2022, 30 in 2023, and only 15 in 2024). This would be partly due to over-optimistic completion dates for many projects, and the fact that some projects that will end up being completed in 2024 have not yet entered construction and hence are not included. In reality, I would expect the final number of completions from 2021 to 2024 to be fairly level, with around 40 completions each year. Compare this to the previous largest number of completions in a single year, 28 in 2020.

NOTE: The board will not let me post the spreadsheet directly, so I had to turn it into a ZIP file. Just use WinZip, WinRar or some other unpacking program to unpack the spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Greater Toronto Highrises.zip
    32.5 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
I am not sure where to post this, but I think it fits best in this forum.

I have compiled a spreadsheet of all buildings at least 300 feet tall (I used feet because it has higher height resolution than using metres) in the Greater Toronto Area (Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham, and Richmond Hill).

The "List by Year" tab lists highrises that have been completed or are still under construction, by year of completion. I am NOT including "Proposals" or "On Hold" buildings in that tab, because we simply do nor know when they will be completed, if ever.

One thing to note is that there are a HUGE number of 300+ foot buildings currently under construction scheduled to be completed this year (60 buildings), with the numbers declining in future years (42 in 2022, 30 in 2023, and only 15 in 2024). This would be partly due to over-optimistic completion dates for many projects, and the fact that some projects that will end up being completed in 2024 have not yet entered construction and hence are not included. In reality, I would expect the final number of completions from 2021 to 2024 to be fairly level, with around 40 completions each year. Compare this to the previous largest number of completions in a single year, 28 in 2020.

NOTE: The board will not let me post the spreadsheet directly, so I had to turn it into a ZIP file. Just use WinZip, WinRar or some other unpacking program to unpack the spreadsheet.

This is really cool information, although I disagree with your choice of units to use. Regardless, where can I get the file? I don't see a link in your post. Thanks!

CITY OF CHICAGO

CITY OF TORONTO

CITY OF CHICAGO

CITY OF TORONTO

CITY OF CHICAGO

CITY OF TORONTO

Hi, I have been trying to get an updated list of the current number of U/C 150 M skyscrapers right now here in Toronto. I have looked all over and Wikipedia says there are 80 towers 150 tall completed now, but the list for U/C is from back in January. I have looked everywhere and this is the only accurate list I can find. Most lists on searches are outdated and older articles. Do you, or does anyone know how many U/C 150 M towers there are right now in Toronto mainly? I would appreciate your help or anyone's in this. I tried downloading the list in the post below to Excel, but I can't get it to work. I don't now how to use it and see the whole list. I was wondering how many 150 M towers there are U/C, and also how many current Approved/Proposals there are, too. I'm guessing 150 M towers U/C would be at least 30 and maybe more, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your time and help, or anyone who can help me. 😄

There are currently 35 towers over 150 metres under construction.
Under construction diagram: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=94989788

There are currently 129 towers over 150 metres proposed.
Proposals diagram: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=94989791

There are currently 78 towers over 150 metres built.
Built diagram: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=94989806

Toronto diagram: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=94989820
Thanks so much for your quick reply and help with the links. I'll bookmark the links so I can keep up with them from now on. I really appreciate your help. Have a great day! 😄

I find it amazing that on the Skyscraper Page, Toronto is now just 20 towers (150 M +) behind Chicago including both built and U/C. Toronto has 116 towers Built and U/C. Chicago has 136 Built and U/C total. What also caught my eye was the total of New York city towers 150+ build and U/C. Most of them, 312 towers, are already built, and they have 9 U/C for a total of 321 towers 150 m+. Even though Toronto has a lot of our towers listed proposed, the total comes to 260 towers. 116 are Built and U/C and 144 are proposed and in the planning stages. I'm not saying we're going to compete directly with NY anytime soon at all, but it's just interesting that not long ago some people laughed at the idea we'd catch Chicago. Now, including proposals, we're on the verge of catching up and then sailing right past Chicago. I'm guessing we'll pass Chicago with Built and U/C towers 150 m + next year sometime. I will also add Chicago has just 6 towers 150 m + proposed at this time. 😃

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if the Skyscraper.com Diagrams database is being updated? It shows 116 total 150 metre + skyscrapers completed and u/c. And 260 total skyscrapers including approved and proposed. It's been that way for a while and I'm sure new 150 and 200 metre + towers have been added on Urban TO. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder if the Skyscraper Diagram page is not adding new projects? Can anybody please confirm this at all? Thanks so much in advance. 😃

Back