News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

By affordable we’re talking like 800k and up for a 3bdrm townhouse? I don’t see new townhouses in Oliver going for way cheaper?
That's kind of my point. The lack of appropriately zoned and sized parcels of land means row housing isn't as feasible of an option as it should be - hence the $800k rowhouse.

The 1,900 sq ft 3 bed, 3 bath duplex across the street from this development for $619k and built in 2008 is a good deal then.

Most townhouse rentals DT are 2800-3500. 2bdrms in Macleran and augustana are well over 2500.

The 1,900 sq ft 3 bed, 3 bath duplex across the street from this development for $619k and built in 2008 is a good deal then.

Pretty ugly haha. But for 100k I’m sure it could be looking super nice!

Sounds about right. Which is why it doesn't seem like there is much of a market for it these days in Edmonton when you can get a quality single-family house in Westmount for the same or cheaper.

It works in Toronto where a townhouse is $1M, a duplex is $1.5M, and a single is $2.5M.
The assumption that SFH is always preferred to a townhouse is a little bit off, especially when we are talking about people choosing to live in more central, urban neighbourhoods.

If I'm choosing to live in Olives (and West Oliver, of all places, one of the densest neighbourhoods in Alberta, and becoming denser by the minute), the choice here is between condos and townhomes, because I'd be choosing to live in an area where I can walk/bike to most places regardless of weather, and might not necessarily want to own a vehicle.
As nice as Westmount is, it is not walkable by any means and living in a SFH there necessarily entails owning a vehicle and driving to a whole lot of places, so this comparison is between bananas and potatoes, to be honest.

A 2000 sq.ft. SFH in Westmount could be going for $200k and I'd still choose an $800k 1500 sqft townhome in Oliver over it, because I am paying for the urban living, but I'd never choose this same townhouse over a $400~600k 1200 sqft condo in the same area.

That's kind of my point. The lack of appropriately zoned and sized parcels of land means row housing isn't as feasible of an option as it should be - hence the $800k rowhouse.

The recently approved 11 townhomes being built by Cantiro on Wadhurst will be 3 bedroom units and they will be no where near $800k. It's not Oliver, but it's literally one block away in a pretty desirable location actually.

The recently approved 11 townhomes being built by Cantiro on Wadhurst will be 3 bedroom units and they will be no where near $800k. It's not Oliver, but it's literally one block away in a pretty desirable location actually.
Oh, they'll easily go for $1M+ if I had to bet.

Oh, they'll easily go for $1M+ if I had to bet.
Given there is a brand new (detached) infill in that neighbourhood listed for $1.15 I also have to agree that 1mil for the Cantiro townhomes would seem steep.

There's an older but renovated townhouse listed for $600k just North as well.

Given there is a brand new (detached) infill in that neighbourhood listed for $1.15 I also have to agree that 1mil for the Cantiro townhomes would seem steep.

There's an older but renovated townhouse listed for $600k just North as well.
I hope you guys are right. I want to buy one of these and, for anything above $600k, it will be out of reach

I hope you guys are right. I want to buy one of these and, for anything above $600k, it will be out of reach

There are no basements/foundations so thst should save some money on costs.

I honestly thought, based on the townhomes they sell in Sherwood Park and South Edmonton with virtually the same floor plan these will have (those were selling for high 300's to mid 400's,) that these would be around $525 but clearly I'm out to lunch on that.

There are no basements/foundations so thst should save some money on costs.

I honestly thought, based on the townhomes they sell in Sherwood Park and South Edmonton with virtually the same floor plan these will have (those were selling for high 300's to mid 400's,) that these would be around $525 but clearly I'm out to lunch on that.
The higher price point there will likely try to capitalize on the upscale feel of the area and the 124st amenities + proximity to the VLW.
Not for nothing, by boss bought a house there about 2 years ago and paid upwards of $2M. Even if we consider that hers is a massive SFH, it says a lot about how things are priced in the area.

If they go for anything lower than $600k I will genuinely be shocked.

The higher price point there will likely try to capitalize on the upscale feel of the area and the 124st amenities + proximity to the VLW.
Not for nothing, by boss bought a house there about 2 years ago and paid upwards of $2M. Even if we consider that hers is a massive SFH, it says a lot about how things are priced in the area.

If they go for anything lower than $600k I will genuinely be shocked.
I think we will be finding out in a few months. I walk by there a lot and it has demolition approved signs up for the properties there now. But first they have to get their building permit before demolition can proceed (according to the signs).

Back