News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

No timeframe on the actual construction though, so it could still be two years.

This week blasting began at 1047 Richmond Road for the construction of the two towers.

I am disappointed that no one from the development reached out to let me know this would be starting in order to provide notice to residents.

To our knowledge, the blasting will last two days (yesterday and today), followed by about a week break, which they will use to dig out the blasted rock, followed by two more days of blasting.

According to the information we received, the purpose of this work is to remove contaminated materials before the building construction begins.

Once they have removed the rock required, the hole will be filled in until construction phase.
Rock can't be contaminated except if its porous (which would be very surprising for the area) or filled of cracks (which wouldnt require blasting, just hammering). Blasting to fill and to unfill is a waste of money. Why would they do that? That counselor seems to have close to zero knowledge/info about what's happening in her ward.🤐

This is so odd. It seems like they're starting but not wanting to say so.

Maybe it's because they are waiting for approval to admit they're starting?

Resubmission. Thanks to rocketphish on SSP for posting over there.

Down to 36 and 38 floors. Phase 1 will be the 36 storey tower and include 423 units, just short of 500 square meters of retail, 254 parking and 528 bike parking.

1727963181420.png

1727963185911.png

1727963192252.png

1727963198544.png

1727963207528.png

1727963214129.png

1727963220398.png

Just build the damn thing, textured concrete precast if done right could blend nicely with the existing buildings. I understand disappointment but people are going to have to come around to the idea that zero interest conditions aren't coming back and ottawa not getting the same roi assessment towards glass curtain wall builds as Toronto or Vancouver is a fact of life

It looks like a taller version of the new tower in Vanier, and with a very similar podium. This RLA bait and switch garbage is getting ridiculous.
To be frank, their original proposal got rejected and they had to go to Tribunal. Blame the city and the nimbys on this one. I am fairly certain this one would've gone up as is and fast if they got a quick approval. Look at how long it took them to approve Dream's towers, even though NCC can just let them bypass it.

As I said on SSP. This has the city to blame all over it. They rejected the proposal, NIMBYs went full force against it while living in apartment buildings beside it, which forced their hand to bring it to OLT. I said it on Skyrise and I'll say it here, this went through development hell for absolutely no reason. City took forever approving something like the Dream towers even though NCC could let them bypass city approvals.

This is on NIMBYs and the City. This was a project that was wanted to mobilize as soon as possible. It is not surprising that this got value engineered, they lost years on this project.

Last edited:
To be frank, their original proposal got rejected and they had to go to Tribunal. Blame the city and the nimbys on this one. I am fairly certain this one would've gone up as is and fast if they got a quick approval. Look at how long it took them to approve Dream's towers, even though NCC can just let them bypass it.
True. Bad timing for delaying such a project with the interest rates going up so steeply. The Minto project at Parkdale and Wellington West also comes to mind.

True. Bad timing for delaying such a project with the interest rates going up so steeply. The Minto project at Parkdale and Wellington West also comes to mind.
It's really unfortunate, but the city and councilors really need to be held accountable for still taking their sweet time approving projects that aren't problematic and can actually make a dent in our housing crisis.

We are still in a housing crisis and we have proposals like fighting to be approved while we sit there and moan that rent and properties are too high. This lot is situated RIGHT INFRONT of an LRT station, what more did they want?!

We have councilors patting their backs for removing a tower and value engineering Lansdowne and making projects like these value engineer themselves down. The Claridge tower on Carling (former 60 story tower), The Sky, and 900 Albert all got approvals, so if people do want to complain about value engineering then we absolutely can for those (we can still blame the councilors and nimbys for lansdowne tho). This isn't one of them.

Last edited:
This is not the update I wanted to see, I'm so disappointed. This was one of my favourite proposals for Ottawa. I loved the international design, the amount of glass, the white fins, the hefty podium, etc.. Not it's literally just a tall boring tower with minimal windows and a short unassuming precast podium. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

It's really unfortunate, but the city and councilors really need to be held accountable for still taking their sweet time approving projects that aren't problematic and can actually make a dent in our housing crisis.

We are still in a housing crisis and we have proposals like fighting to be approved while we sit there and moan that rent and properties are too high. This lot is situated RIGHT INFRONT of an LRT station, what more did they want?!

We have councilors patting their backs for removing a tower and value engineering Lansdowne and making projects like these value engineer themselves down. The Claridge tower on Carling (former 60 story tower), The Sky, and 900 Albert all got approvals, so if people do want to complain about value engineering then we absolutely can for those (we can still blame the councilors and nimbys for lansdowne tho). This isn't one of them.
Someone on SSP reminded us that the City isn't completely to blame for this one. It was never rejected by the City; as soon as the City went a little over the time limit, the developer went straight to LPAT (within their right, but not necessary) instead of waiting for the City process to continue. The City is receiving vast amounts of applications with shorter timelines imposed by the Province without any new resources to deal.

The City and developer eventually negotiated the removal of one tower (not a bad thing IMO as the first proposal was quite crowded; we don't want another Rideau), but it may have taken less time with the LPAT middle man.

As for the Claridge tower on Carling where the CIBC sits today, the community and Councillor at the time were generally supportive of the height. It's Claridge that decided to cut it down on their own a few months later.

Back